Why are FOX news ratings so high?

It's on in every retirement home...

Which plays into the phony lefty narrative that only old farts watch Fox, a position that gets blown totally out of the water by their ratings dominance of the all important 25-54 demographic.

Nobody has a gun to their head when they exercise their pro choice viewing selections, and that IMO is why the lefty idiots get their undies in a bunch over Fox.

Reading some of the other threads on here, the issue that FOX news dominates the ratings wars often comes up.......A recent survey finds that right wingers, in general, do NOT trust any other news source BUT Fox.

On the surface, right wingers will "conclude" that since Fox ranks so high, it must be "good" and "trustworthy.".................But is this really the conclusion that should be readily accepted?

Now, I'm sure that right wingers on here will quickly respond that any criticism of Fox's high ratings is based on envy...or liberal spin and biases.

However, for the more open-minded fellow posters, a simple explanation may make sense.

Let's say that the entire rating system was comprised of 10 people; 4 of whom are conservatives and the other 6 span the political spectrum from liberal to independent.....

Now, the 4 conservative faithfully and unwaveringly watch Fox giving that cable network 40% ratings......while the other six watch...CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, PBS, Al-Jazeera-America, Russia-Today, ABC and several other Internet-based news sources (especially for the younger generation).......

It should not be too difficult to then conclude that no other competitor to Fox would even remotely come close to that network's 40% rating.

Yet, the question remains: Is this dominance by Fox in the ratings' war a good or bad thing for the conservative movement, ideology and growth ?

I don't watch FoxNews, nor do I watch any of the other brands of network news, I tend to go to several web sites, liberal and conservative, and form my opinion from there?

I really don't care why or who watches any of these news shows. If a person wants to watch them, more power to them, the nice thing about living in a free country.

As far as which one is better? Who even gives a shit besides you left wingnuts, your obsession over one network is amusing.

Which plays into the phony lefty narrative that only old farts watch Fox, a position that gets blown totally out of the water by their ratings dominance of the all important 25-54 demographic.

Nobody has a gun to their head when they exercise their pro choice viewing selections, and that IMO is why the lefty idiots get their undies in a bunch over Fox.
Every one I have been in has The Price is Right....on....I just like to jerk seniors chains......Most of the really elderly that I know don't watch it...

when I was a kid-----long ago----it was the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS---
that was the object of mockery------a kind of conservative ----written for
persons with a fifth grade reading level-----tabloid. But even so ----it did
not excite people so much as "fox news" as an object of mockery.
so things moved from "where did you get that from...the daily news"?
to------"you are a fox news idiot..."--------reader's digest was also an object of
of mockery "where did you learn that ----from the reader's digest...????
Conservatives can't account for FOXs' success, many others do watch and I suspect liberals too. People are sick of the lopsided arrogant teaching down to us "news" casting so common on the other channels.

It isn't that FOX is so great, it's just that the others suck so badly. At least with FOX you can hear more than a singular perspective.

Last edited:
Face it, the Libs are just upset that so many people reject Liberal talking points masquerading as news. That's why the Libs always try to scream "Fox isn't a source". But ask the Libs to point out examples of inaccurate reporting by Fox (with links) and the Libs suddenly disappear.

when I was a kid-----long ago----it was the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS---
that was the object of mockery------a kind of conservative ----written for
persons with a fifth grade reading level-----tabloid. But even so ----it did
not excite people so much as "fox news" as an object of mockery.
so things moved from "where did you get that from...the daily news"?
to------"you are a fox news idiot..."--------reader's digest was also an object of
of mockery "where did you learn that ----from the reader's digest...????
Conservatives can't account for FOXs' success, many others do to, and I suspect liberals. People are sick of the lopsided arrogant teaching down to us "news" casting so common on the other channels.

It isn't that FOX is so great, it's just that the others suck so badly. At least with FOX you can hear more than a singular perspective.
The other outlet's do it also.It's merely a demographic success than others...

Reading some of the other threads on here, the issue that FOX news dominates the ratings wars often comes up.......A recent survey finds that right wingers, in general, do NOT trust any other news source BUT Fox.

On the surface, right wingers will "conclude" that since Fox ranks so high, it must be "good" and "trustworthy.".................But is this really the conclusion that should be readily accepted?

Now, I'm sure that right wingers on here will quickly respond that any criticism of Fox's high ratings is based on envy...or liberal spin and biases.

However, for the more open-minded fellow posters, a simple explanation may make sense.

Let's say that the entire rating system was comprised of 10 people; 4 of whom are conservatives and the other 6 span the political spectrum from liberal to independent.....

Now, the 4 conservative faithfully and unwaveringly watch Fox giving that cable network 40% ratings......while the other six watch...CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, PBS, Al-Jazeera-America, Russia-Today, ABC and several other Internet-based news sources (especially for the younger generation).......

It should not be too difficult to then conclude that no other competitor to Fox would even remotely come close to that network's 40% rating.

Yet, the question remains: Is this dominance by Fox in the ratings' war a good or bad thing for the conservative movement, ideology and growth ?
Fox reinforces the Conservative ideology. It does not challenge it. Conservatives find it more comforting to be told that what they believe is right.

Why are ratings so important? Does a high rating mean high quality journalism? Does popularity indicate quality in all things? If that were so, we could then conclude that the music of Lady Gaga is of higher quality than the music of Mozart based on record sales.

Funny....leftists could watch their news channels as much as they want and easily beat fox....perhaps Fox is so successful because they provide something to all viewers.......since Fox beats the other networks easily.....it isn't even close...

Once again, you miss the point of the O/P .......IF all the non-right-wing "channels'" ratings were to be combined, they would beat Fox.

I am a republican and I think Fox is lopsided trash but far more entertaining than the other news stations. ESPN is close.

REALLY!!

There are over 40 million seniors and that was back in 2010 and 2.5 million Fox viewers.
Does not compute.
Which formula did you use?

The 2010 census and Nielsen
Surely there are more seniors 15 years after the census you used...

Which is why I said there are over 40 million and gave the year.

Why are ratings so important? Does a high rating mean high quality journalism? Does popularity indicate quality in all things? If that were so, we could then conclude that the music of Lady Gaga is of higher quality than the music of Mozart based on record sales.

WELL, Well stated......

I am a republican and I think Fox is lopsided trash but far more entertaining than the other news stations. ESPN is close.

I am a democrat and never watch Fox. ------I do CNN and BBC----it kinda automatically shows up--------what channel is Fox

REALLY!!

There are over 40 million seniors and that was back in 2010 and 2.5 million Fox viewers.
Does not compute.
Which formula did you use?

The 2010 census and Nielsen
Surely there are more seniors 15 years after the census you used...

Which is why I said there are over 40 million and gave the year.
then you have to use which mathematical algorythem to see if your statement is true?

WELL, Well stated......

high ratings signify the best station upon which to place a pizza advertisement

Forum List

Back