Why are FOX news ratings so high?

Reading some of the other threads on here, the issue that FOX news dominates the ratings wars often comes up.......A recent survey finds that right wingers, in general, do NOT trust any other news source BUT Fox.

On the surface, right wingers will "conclude" that since Fox ranks so high, it must be "good" and "trustworthy.".................But is this really the conclusion that should be readily accepted?

Now, I'm sure that right wingers on here will quickly respond that any criticism of Fox's high ratings is based on envy...or liberal spin and biases.

However, for the more open-minded fellow posters, a simple explanation may make sense.

Let's say that the entire rating system was comprised of 10 people; 4 of whom are conservatives and the other 6 span the political spectrum from liberal to independent.....

Now, the 4 conservative faithfully and unwaveringly watch Fox giving that cable network 40% ratings......while the other six watch...CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, PBS, Al-Jazeera-America, Russia-Today, ABC and several other Internet-based news sources (especially for the younger generation).......

It should not be too difficult to then conclude that no other competitor to Fox would even remotely come close to that network's 40% rating.

Yet, the question remains: Is this dominance by Fox in the ratings' war a good or bad thing for the conservative movement, ideology and growth ?

Ideology has nothing to do with it because ideology is not what sells. That's just the tool to get into the viewer's mind. What sells, and what Fox Noise sells, is emotion. Particularly, Fear. It's a long-established known known that fear and loathing and gossip and conspiracy and sensationalism are a gold mine in pseudojournalism -- by which I mean "journalism" outlets that are dedicated not to informing its audience but rather to enriching themselves.

Straight news does not sell and never has. It's not a marketable commodity. Emotion is.

Nobody knows this LCD goldmine better than Rupert Murdoch, who built his media empire on the cheap gossip rags we see at the stupormarket checkout line. Fox Noise continued the model --- it's basically not a news channel except as window dressing and filler. What it is is a gossip channel, using politician-celebrities instead of media/movie-celebrities. Its moneymaking content is all about conspiracies and fears and tensions and conflicts. It's always about people, not about policies, and any time an abstract idea like a policy is introduced it is immediately personalized. Because only when you personalize can you polarize, and polarization draws fans like a sports event. Because you can't get emotional about abstract ideas, but you can very much get emotional about the evil monster behind it.

So as soon as that abstract is personalized and polarized, onto the screen comes the face of Emmanuel Goldstein, in whatever form applies, along with suggestive chyrons running along the bottom planting seeds of further fears without ever making a point, presented by either buxom bimbos in short skirts or old guys pounding the table -- ALL of which is specifically engineered to incite an emotional dependence (which means staying tuned, which means viewer loyalty, euphemized as "trust") so that the box has a vulnerable waiting and willing maw into which it can pour advertising and charge the advertiser top dollar.

That is after all the one and only purpose and significance of broadcast ratings: to measure how much a commercial costs. Because obviously if you can deliver more eyeballs, you can charge more money.

It's really not that complicated. I wish the audience would stop watching the dancing puppets once in a while and look up to see who's pulling the strings and why. Do a Dorothy and pull back the curtain. It's revealing.

bullshit, which Fox programs were subjects of that study? who did the study? what were the motives of those doing the study?

A PublicMind survey out of Fairleigh Dickinson University found that “people who said they consumed no news” fared better on a current events questionnaire than people who had been using Fox News to find out what was going on in the world. Let that sink in for a moment. People who categorically don’t watch the news know more than people who watch a network whose primary function is ostensibly to relay the news.

Adding insult to injury, it was the only network that ranked below “blind ignorance” the survey. (By the way, the most informed audience was that of NPR.)

If your only talent in life is to talk shit and gossip, working for Fox News is a dream come true​

Which formula did you use?

The 2010 census and Nielsen
Surely there are more seniors 15 years after the census you used...

Indeed.

Why do you think Fox employs hot chicks and short dresses ... #1 with horny old RW farts lookin' for some leg.

and MSNBC has lesbians and angry old farts. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
And the unemployed....no, they would be watching Dr.Oz....

the old farts are too old to work and are home watching Fox ..

Not only are Fox News viewers old, they're almost all white. Rich points out that only 1.1 per cent of Fox News viewers are black. That's a far lower number than other news networks.

MSNCB has a 25 per cent black audience and CNN has 14 per cent black audience.

Rich quips that conservative candidate Mitt Romney got more black voters at 2 per cent than Fox did at 1.1 per cent ...

Read more: The average age of Fox News viewers is 68 and a majority of them are politically conservative and white Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Fox News ratings are high because there are plenty of people who are smart enough to see through the veil of the lying leftwing MSM, and prefer to get their information from a more reliable source.

I am getting REALLY EXCITED over *****FOX NEWS***** ------it must be
a terrific thing -----to engender so much RAW EMOTION

Fox News ratings are high because there are plenty of people who are smart enough to see through the veil of the lying leftwing MSM, and prefer to get their information from a more reliable source.

Fox Noise has nothing to do with "information". Television itself has little to do with "information".

"Information" doesn't sell. It never has.

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

Fox Noise has nothing to do with "information". Television itself has little to do with "information".

I like information----but prefer to get it by reading. I do not have
the ATTENTION span necessary to sit thru dull narratives

Why are FOX news ratings so high?

Because the NaziCon mushrooms need their daily dose of Slanted Halfwit Ideology Transmissions (S.H.I.T.). So each mushroom is fed 40 pounds of S.H.I.T. per day to match its IQ.

Maybe it's the same reason Jerry Springer gets such high ratings.
Viewers are bored suckers...

I have been reading about "FOX NEWS" on messageboards for years. -----
what is the obsession all about? -------

The obsession is that the left can't stand anyone opposing their agenda.....and Fox cable news actually has real conservatives on their shows and they are allowed to explain their views and opinions....they also have as many left wingers on to express their views and opinions, but the left can't have anyone who disagrees with them have an outlet to speak....

That is also why you find conservative speakers being kept off college campuses....

Fox does invite people from the left to appear on their network, but they do not allow them the time to complete a sentence. It's always a confrontational discussion with multiple right wingers who are allowed, or even encouraged to interrupt the one liberal.

Reading some of the other threads on here, the issue that FOX news dominates the ratings wars often comes up.......A recent survey finds that right wingers, in general, do NOT trust any other news source BUT Fox.

On the surface, right wingers will "conclude" that since Fox ranks so high, it must be "good" and "trustworthy.".................But is this really the conclusion that should be readily accepted?

Now, I'm sure that right wingers on here will quickly respond that any criticism of Fox's high ratings is based on envy...or liberal spin and biases.

However, for the more open-minded fellow posters, a simple explanation may make sense.

Let's say that the entire rating system was comprised of 10 people; 4 of whom are conservatives and the other 6 span the political spectrum from liberal to independent.....

Now, the 4 conservative faithfully and unwaveringly watch Fox giving that cable network 40% ratings......while the other six watch...CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, PBS, Al-Jazeera-America, Russia-Today, ABC and several other Internet-based news sources (especially for the younger generation).......

It should not be too difficult to then conclude that no other competitor to Fox would even remotely come close to that network's 40% rating.

Yet, the question remains: Is this dominance by Fox in the ratings' war a good or bad thing for the conservative movement, ideology and growth ?
Fox reinforces the Conservative ideology. It does not challenge it. Conservatives find it more comforting to be told that what they believe is right.

Why are ratings so important? Does a high rating mean high quality journalism? Does popularity indicate quality in all things? If that were so, we could then conclude that the music of Lady Gaga is of higher quality than the music of Mozart based on record sales.

Exactly. Bruce Springstein sold a lot of records but we can all trot out a dozen better voices using better material that didn't sell squat, so this all depends on what your definition of "success" is. If the definition is to milk the gullible public into handing the channel an advertising cash cow, Fox Noise is a "success". If the definition is to provide news --- not so much.

the-democratic-seal-democrats-election-baby-obama-barack-demotivational-poster-1214278611.jpg

I like information----but prefer to get it by reading. I do not have
the ATTENTION span necessary to sit thru dull narratives
And the redundancy is maddening..

Fox actually has good accurate reporting.

MSNBC spouts Liberal talking points. That's why their ratings are tanking.

Get over the fact that a whole lot of people think the Liberals' garbage isn't worth listening to.

when I was a kid-----long ago----it was the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS---
that was the object of mockery------a kind of conservative ----written for
persons with a fifth grade reading level-----tabloid. But even so ----it did
not excite people so much as "fox news" as an object of mockery.
so things moved from "where did you get that from...the daily news"?
to------"you are a fox news idiot..."--------reader's digest was also an object of
of mockery "where did you learn that ----from the reader's digest...????

The Reader's Digest has become much more bipartisan and accurate while Fox really has become a joke. Its not funny though. Murdoch and Al-Waleed set out to dupe Americans and, to some extent, they have succeeded.

The good news is that fewer and fewer places, restaurants, waiting rooms and the like, have it on.

FOX News has high ratings because they have quality reporters who do good solid journalism.Let me be clear when I say reporters I mean just that people like Chris Wallace, Bret Bair James Rosen, Carl Cameron, Ed Henry, Jennifer Griffen.

Forum List

Back