Why are all the chemistry teachers wrong? Explain

ChemEngineer

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2019
In my very first chemistry class in high school, the teacher said "The freezing point of water is 32 degrees F. This is the same temperature as the melting point of ice."

I wondered then how can water freeze at the same time ice is melting, with identical conditions.

Decades later I ask this savvy group that very question.

Hint: All the teachers are wrong.

In my very first chemistry class in high school, the teacher said "The freezing point of water is 32 degrees F. This is the same temperature as the melting point of ice."

I wondered then how can water freeze at the same time ice is melting, with identical conditions.

a better way of saying that is that water exists in both states at id triple point, temperature. just like every other liduid from ni9trogen to steel.

the earth's ice is mitigating the greenhouse effects for as long as they last. temps can rise to maybe venus levels after that ice has melted.

Draw your attention to the section called Phase Coexistence

You obviously didn't go to a school that taught Afrochemistry

1705447056414.png

1705447083408.png

a better way of saying that is that water exists in both states at id triple point, temperature. just like every other liduid from ni9trogen to steel.

the earth's ice is mitigating the greenhouse effects for as long as they last. temps can rise to maybe venus levels after that ice has melted.
NO, that is NOT a "better way of saying" what I said. The triple point is non-existent in nature, but 32 degrees F is quite common.

The point you missed completely is that ice will only melt at standard pressure and a temperature higher than 32 F, and of course the converse is true of water freezing. It has to be colder than 32.

This phenomenon can occur due to the differences in the structure and density of water and ice. Water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius, forming ice crystals.

However, as the ice melts, the solid ice structure breaks down and the resulting liquid water can have slightly different properties than the original ice.

Moreover, ice has a lower density than water, so as the ice melts, it can create pockets of slightly warmer water that can remain in a liquid state even at 0 degrees Celsius.

Therefore, under identical conditions of temperature and pressure, it is possible for both water to freeze and ice to melt simultaneously.

This phenomenon can be observed in nature when ice starts to thaw and refreeze during fluctuating temperatures around the freezing point. :)

This phenomenon can occur due to the differences in the structure and density of water and ice. Water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius, forming ice crystals.

However, as the ice melts, the solid ice structure breaks down and the resulting liquid water can have slightly different properties than the original ice.

Moreover, ice has a lower density than water, so as the ice melts, it can create pockets of slightly warmer water that can remain in a liquid state even at 0 degrees Celsius.

Therefore, under identical conditions of temperature and pressure, it is possible for both water to freeze and ice to melt simultaneously.

This phenomenon can be observed in nature when ice starts to thaw and refreeze during fluctuating temperatures around the freezing point. :)

You cannot possibly explain how water freezes under the same conditions as ice melts unless they are at perfect equilibrium. Therefore all water present cannot freeze and all ice present cannot melt as they would at colder or warmer temperatures. There has to be a small differential from 0 degrees Celsius. How much would be a good experiment to determine in a controlled setting.

You cannot possibly explain how water freezes under the same conditions as ice melts unless they are at perfect equilibrium. Therefore all water present cannot freeze and all ice present cannot melt as they would at colder or warmer temperatures. There has to be a small differential from 0 degrees Celsius. How much would be a good experiment to determine in a controlled setting.
You mean like this?

1705696933251.png

And this?

1705697009402.png

You cannot possibly explain how water freezes under the same conditions as ice melts unless they are at perfect equilibrium.

We experience all six state transitions in our atmosphere almost all the time ... routinely ... look out your window right now ... there is:

1] ice sublimating into water vapor,
2] ice melting into water,
3] water evaporating into water vapor
4] water vapor condensing into water
5] water vapor depositing into ice, and
6] water freezing into ice ...

That's just how clouds behave ... and yes ... these are exotic properties almost exclusively confined to water ... and is generally attributed to the hydrogen bonding going on in water ... we should test this with carbon tetrachloride, melts at -23ºC and boils at 77ºC ... well within our kitchen counter capabilities ... this would avoid the complications of hydrogen in our molecules ...

That's if cloud formation isn't enough of an example ...

That looks like a clickbait title of a Facebook post. You give some random intro, end it with an open ended statement and then stop.

And water BEGINS to freeze at 32 degrees. That is the point in which yes it is freezing, below that is in which it begins to solidify and turn solid. Unless you're talking about sea water, that doesn't start till 28 degrees.

But the statement still stands as true. You're arguing using your own brand and extremely contextual and very specific reasoning in order to be right.

The sad part is he's still wrong ... water can hold her liquid state to below 32ºF ... this video explains the theory well enough ... and the guy admits it was quite difficult to demonstrate ... so very rare in nature ... maybe worth the 3'35" of your life? ...

That looks like a clickbait title of a Facebook post. You give some random intro, end it with an open ended statement and then stop.

And water BEGINS to freeze at 32 degrees. That is the point in which yes it is freezing, below that is in which it begins to solidify and turn solid. Unless you're talking about sea water, that doesn't start till 28 degrees.

But the statement still stands as true. You're arguing using your own brand and extremely contextual and very specific reasoning in order to be right.
So you're saying that ice "begins to thaw at 32 degrees"?

Explain to everyone how a beaker of water "begins to freeze" while a beaker of ice simultaneously "begins to thaw at 32." Give us your science lesson. You're trying harder to be right than makes sense.

So you're saying that ice "begins to thaw at 32 degrees"?

Explain to everyone how a beaker of water "begins to freeze" while a beaker of ice simultaneously "begins to thaw at 32." Give us your science lesson. You're trying harder to be right than makes sense.

Any meteorologist will tell you it's all about nucleation ... that's taught in high school chemistry as well ... maybe you and your mommy can try this experiment at home ... see how, at 40 seconds in, the child in the video is providing nucleation sites for the rock candy to form on ...

Forum List

Back