Why American Jews Don’t (and Won’t) Vote Republican

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Simple: Because U.S. Jews are overwhelmingly urban, educated and very, very liberal. ( Unlike the uneducated trailer dwelling members of the white christian party) In 2008, for instance, 45% of surveyed American Jewish voters described themselves as “liberal,” versus about 12% who described themselves as “conservative” — a difference of 33%. And that difference has actually grown (from 22%) since 1976.

Moreover, women vote more than men — and American Jewish women are an especially liberal voting bloc. I once heard Dick Morris say in a speech that they are the most socially liberal group in the entire United States. Why, exactly, would these people vote for a Republican goyim party whose official position is anti-abortion and pro-gun, and whose cultural identity is defined in large part by rural Evangelical Christians?

As a correspondent reminds me, Jews were at the forefront of America’s union, feminist and civil-rights movements. Their history has conditioned them to believe in collective action in the fight for social justice — a political instinct that runs directly against the Tea Party’s single-minded obsession with laissez-faire capitalism.

Even the Israel issue itself can go both ways. On a practical and political level, it is a blessing for Zionists that so many Evangelicals support the Jewish state. But sometimes, their fervor on Israel actually can seem eccentric and off-putting. On my trips to Israel, I’ve found that many of the most fervent Zionist Christians will dip into apocalyptic fantasies rooted in their belief that non-Christians will be annihilated once the Jews of the world gather in the Holy Land. If I were a Jewish-American voter, I’m really not sure I would want to endorse the Book of Revelations on my election ballot.

And yet, year after year after year, Republican Jews expect the Great Jewish Blue-Red Migration to commence.

I’m sorry, folks. It’s just not happening. Next year in Yerushalayim, perhaps. But not at the American ballot box.

Why American Jews don 8217 t vote Republican and never will National Post

Forum List

Back