Whose Better: John Wayne or Clint Eastwood?

Whose Better: John Wayne or Clint Eastwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Outlaw Josey Wales, Joe Kidd, and The Unforgiven define Eastwood, while John Wayne is immortalized in The Searchers and The Quiet Man.

Both John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are the most beloved of almost all of the actors. Each is simply terrific at what they do and did. It would be hard for me to make a decision as to who is the best. It's a coin toss. I have to say though, I didn't think Clint Eastwood's movie "Gran Tornio" was the great movie that you all seem to be screaming about. I thought out of all of Eastwood's movies, it was the absolute worst. I think Clint Eastwood's best work was in the movie "Outlaw Jose Wales". That was a much better movie than Gran Torino. Although the only Oscar that John Wayne ever got was for the movie "True Grit" I think his movie "The Quiet Man" was also a movie he should have won the award for. I love all the John Wayne westerns but to me "The Quiet Man" was also very good.

C'mon, BBD, as much as I love "The Outlaw Josey Wales", the acting is poor, the pacing is poorer, and Clint is just not that great an actor. He's great as a anti-hero, quiet, menacing, gritty, and unrelenting, but his artistic maturity shines through so much more in Gran Torino. Its Clint, he's old, he's pissed, he's squinting a lot, but its not so one dimenstional. I really think you should see it again and not expect an action movie, but instead a drama.

At the same time, comparing Clint movies to movies starring the Duke is somewhat like comparing apples to oranges. The Duke was making movie through the early era of Hollywood with the innocence of those movies. Even in his later years when he was making westerns in the 70s, that was part of the charm of his movies like Rooster Cogburn - I mean Kathryn Hepburn co-stars in it! The gritty in a John Wayne movie would never go as well as it would in a Clint Eastwood movie. Instead there's that naive, innocent charm of early Hollywood in the Duke's movies which were gritty when compared to other movies of the time like Singing in the Rain and anything with Rock Hudson or Cary Grant ever did(i.e. The Sands of Iwo Jima was pretty gritty - pun intended, but not compared to Sergio Leone's films or the Dirty Harry films).

When I asked who was better, it was a silly question, but people hold silly opinions. Including me, and Gran Torino was awesome. You just hate immigrants who don't speak English you fascist Bush-lover!~

*The Outlaw Josey Wales*.... best EPIC western ever made. Pure Clint.
josey10.jpg

So sexy at that age.. :eusa_drool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqM_tPumTZI]YouTube - Heartbreak Ridge - Pool Hall[/ame]

"...banged more quif..."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxKfp8XCckg&feature=related]YouTube - Heartbreak Ridge[/ame]

"You shouldn't litter faghetti. Its ecologically unsound."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2q4NPa56v0]YouTube - Dirty Harry - Bus Hijack[/ame]

Go to 2 min. 26 sec. When Clint pokes his head down from on top of the bus and points his gun at Scorpio while Scorpio is swerving around the road....classic and hilarious.

That is good! Reminds me that it is my will against that of the rightoid barfbags, and I will win. Now that is Clint.

C'mon, BBD, as much as I love "The Outlaw Josey Wales", the acting is poor, the pacing is poorer, and Clint is just not that great an actor.

Frankly Cmm, that's just your opinion, of which is that through the eyes of a liberal. I think Clint was brilliant in that picture, as he is in all his westerns. I don't think there has ever lived another actor that portrays the quintessential gunman of the early west better than Clint. If you fail to see that, then possibly it's because you see it through your liberal shaded glasses from liberal Colorado, and you have nothing in you or your psyche that can identify with Clint and the characters he portrays.

But the fact of the matter is, "The Outlaw Josey Wales" is probably the best, epic western movie ever filmed, despite your opinion to the contrary.

Last edited:
though both are great tough guy actors clint loses a few points to the duke for appearing in the wimpy paint your wagon and play misty for me. so john wayne wins

C'mon, BBD, as much as I love "The Outlaw Josey Wales", the acting is poor, the pacing is poorer, and Clint is just not that great an actor.

Frankly Cmm, that's just your opinion, of which is that through the eyes of a liberal. I think Clint was brilliant in that picture, as he is in all his westerns. I don't think there has ever lived another actor that portrays the quintessential gunman of the early west better than Clint. If you fail to see that, then possibly it's because you see it through your liberal shaded glasses from liberal Colorado, and you have nothing in you or your psyche that can identify with Clint and the characters he portrays.

But the fact of the matter is, "The Outlaw Josey Wales" is probably the best, epic western movie ever filmed, despite your opinion to the contrary.

Colorado was and still is filled with conservativtoid moonbats, Pale Rider. Go over to Highland Ranch, or anywhere rural in the state. Starking raving howling at the far right moonbats.

Frankly Cmm, that's just your opinion, of which is that through the eyes of a liberal. I think Clint was brilliant in that picture, as he is in all his westerns. I don't think there has ever lived another actor that portrays the quintessential gunman of the early west better than Clint. If you fail to see that, then possibly it's because you see it through your liberal shaded glasses from liberal Colorado, and you have nothing in you or your psyche that can identify with Clint and characters he portrays.

Ha! Pale, you kill me.

I love "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and all of Clint's Westerns, though most especially "The Unforgiven" and I agree that Clint portrays the quintessential anti-hero gunman of the early west as well as the cop whose sense of justice goes beyond bureaucratic better than anyone else. We agree on that. I just think that Clint's later works show more artistic maturity and depth than his earlier works. But I would imagine that you as a conservative can't see the master artistry of those more complex and subtle films since it isn't spelled out for you in bright, loud, flashing explosions and overt dialogue.

As a climber (The Eiger Sanction), former Marine (Heartbreak Ridge), as someone who lives out in the West and has traveled through the Mojave, Colorado, and Sonoran deserts on foot from the border of Mexico to the southern tip of the Sierras (Joe Kidd was filmed just below Mt. Whitney in an area called the Alabama Hills) I can relate extremely well to the characters Clint portrays. I might be a liberal and a hippie, but I'm no pussy, and I'm not weak - I'm a goddamn, tough, bearded, mountain man son of a bitch who knows how to kill with his bare hands. Its just that I think people should be nice to eachother and take care of eachother instead of living every man for himself. I can sympathize with those less fortunate than myself, and I can empathize with them even better cause I've been there and I know what its like to grow up poor with alcoholic shithead parents, and I know what its like to be an outsider, and to feel forgotten by the very society I risked my life to serve.

I bet that if you and I were to drink beer and whiskey at some bar on Highway 50 in the middle of nowhere that the chances we'd end up friends are better than were we to end up enemies, even if we did have to beat the shit out of eachother first.

Colorado was and still is filled with conservativtoid moonbats, Pale Rider. Go over to Highland Ranch, or anywhere rural in the state. Starking raving howling at the far right moonbats.

Actually, that's not entirely true. The mountains - except Grand Junction, Mopntrose, and a few other small towns - are mostly liberal: Vail, Aspen, Telluride, Ouray, Durango, Steamboat Springs, Breckenridge, Glenwood, Carbondale, Leadville, Salida, Silverton, Gunnison...just to name a few. The plains and everywhere along the Front Range except Boulder and Denver are conservative. Its just that those damn liberals are young and lazy and never go out and vote.

The tourist trade in the last ten years have "liberalized" those towns. The town regulars vote conservative every opportunity but are very careful to not let the tourista know it.

Frankly Cmm, that's just your opinion, of which is that through the eyes of a liberal. I think Clint was brilliant in that picture, as he is in all his westerns. I don't think there has ever lived another actor that portrays the quintessential gunman of the early west better than Clint. If you fail to see that, then possibly it's because you see it through your liberal shaded glasses from liberal Colorado, and you have nothing in you or your psyche that can identify with Clint and characters he portrays.

Ha! Pale, you kill me.

I love "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and all of Clint's Westerns, though most especially "The Unforgiven" and I agree that Clint portrays the quintessential anti-hero gunman of the early west as well as the cop whose sense of justice goes beyond bureaucratic better than anyone else. We agree on that. I just think that Clint's later works show more artistic maturity and depth than his earlier works. But I would imagine that you as a conservative can't see the master artistry of those more complex and subtle films since it isn't spelled out for you in bright, loud, flashing explosions and overt dialogue.

As a climber (The Eiger Sanction), former Marine (Heartbreak Ridge), as someone who lives out in the West and has traveled through the Mojave, Colorado, and Sonoran deserts on foot from the border of Mexico to the southern tip of the Sierras (Joe Kidd was filmed just below Mt. Whitney in an area called the Alabama Hills) I can relate extremely well to the characters Clint portrays. I might be a liberal and a hippie, but I'm no pussy, and I'm not weak - I'm a goddamn, tough, bearded, mountain man son of a bitch who knows how to kill with his bare hands. Its just that I think people should be nice to eachother and take care of eachother instead of living every man for himself. I can sympathize with those less fortunate than myself, and I can empathize with them even better cause I've been there and I know what its like to grow up poor with alcoholic shithead parents, and I know what its like to be an outsider, and to feel forgotten by the very society I risked my life to serve.

I bet that if you and I were to drink beer and whiskey at some bar on Highway 50 in the middle of nowhere that the chances we'd end up friends are better than were we to end up enemies, even if we did have to beat the shit out of eachother first.

Well holy Christ Cmm, I was talking about relating to who and what a "cowboy" is and I got your life story... :lol:

I've been from San Diego to Great Falls, Montana and all parts in between. I've driven it, hiked it and lived in it, so I don't feel as though you have some sort of western advantage on me about the mountains. No I don't scale insane mountain faces with a rope hanging off my ass, but I see no point in it either. It's a dangerous waste of effort. The park service was always getting called to rescue some dumb ass climber or green horn off a mountain in Arizona, many of which had already fallen and hurt themselves and couldn't continue.

But perhaps Clint's acting in his larger than life westerns in just something you can't relate to, in any sense, so your opinion of that reflects that. Myself, I have a cowboy for a nephew. I lived in Montana in a tiny little town where "real" cowboys hung out... miners, loggers, drunkard's, you name it. I know who these people are and my suspicion is you don't, so when I watch Clint in these roles, I know he could step right into any part of these people's lives and blend right in. He's the real deal. He's not some lard assed little yuppie wanna be from Vail.

But yeah, we probably could get drunker'n seven barrels of buffalo shit in some little out of the way dive on hwy 50, and we might beat the shit out of each other, but I do agree, we'd probably enjoy the devil out of it and wind up back slapping pards.

Last edited:
Sho, find a picture called 'the searchers'.

As much as I love Eastwood, he could not play it as down and dirty as Wayne does in that.

I dunno, dude.. one looks like he is in a costume and the other like his breath smells like kerosene. I respect your opinion but I just think Clint is exponentially greater than The Duke.

searchers01.jpg

josey10.jpg
Different kinds of actor brutha.

Wayne could play a 'quiet man' or go 'in harm's way' and be great, doubt that clint could do either, on the other hand...

Nobody can top Harry Callahan as the toughest character in moviedom.

Have to call this one a draw.

And I love Clint.

Forum List

Back