Who's responisibility is it?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
We know now that Lanza's mother gave him the guns he used. Don't try to argue that. Just like the grandfather of one of the Columbine shooters who gave his g'son the guns he used.

But, here's couple of different pov's.

Which is right? Neither? Both?

Devon Corneal: The 'Right to Bear Arms' Is Not More Important Than a Child's Right to Grow Up

I'm fighting every fiber of my being right now not to run to my son's school and take him home, lock the door and read stories about superheroes while eating peanut butter crackers in our pajamas. I want to know he's safe by having him in my sight. I might be overreacting, but it doesn't feel that way.

Lisa Belkin: Gun Control Is A Parenting Issue

We are heartbroken, yes. But saying that will fix nothing. It won't bring anyone back, and it won't keep this from happening again. And of course we know the parents of Newtown could have been any one of us. That's important to remember, but it isn't enough, because the knowing doesn't change the fact that we could still be next.

So we can't just do as we did after Columbine, after Virginia Tech, after Aurora. We can't just grieve and hold our children close. We have to demand that our country earn the right to call itself a civilized nation. We need to do this because our central job as parents -- maybe our only job, really -- is to keep our children safe so they can grow up. Easy access to guns keeps us from doing that job.

The British government ban for use of all but one SSRI antidepressant drug in children and teens (Dec 10, 2003) is reverberating wherever these drugs are widely prescribed. The action was taken after an independent committee of experts examined the raw data from controlled clinical trials that had been conducted by these drugs' manufacturers. The evidence shows that contrary to the claims made by their promoters, SSRIs are neither effective against depression in children, nor safe. The hazards posed by SSRIs--of which the most serious is self-harm and aggression toward others--had been detected during company controlled clinical trials, but the hazards were concealed--even in published reports in academic journals. Thus, doctors who prescribed the drugs and patients and families for whom they have been prescribed were kept in the dark.

Antidepressant Ban for Kids Puts Pressure On U.S. / Canada

We know now that Lanza's mother gave him the guns he used. Don't try to argue that. Just like the grandfather of one of the Columbine shooters who gave his g'son the guns he used.

Devon Corneal: The 'Right to Bear Arms' Is Not More Important Than a Child's Right to Grow Up

I'm fighting every fiber of my being right now not to run to my son's school and take him home, lock the door and read stories about superheroes while eating peanut butter crackers in our pajamas. I want to know he's safe by having him in my sight. I might be overreacting, but it doesn't feel that way.

We are heartbroken, yes. But saying that will fix nothing. It won't bring anyone back, and it won't keep this from happening again. And of course we know the parents of Newtown could have been any one of us. That's important to remember, but it isn't enough, because the knowing doesn't change the fact that we could still be next.

So we can't just do as we did after Columbine, after Virginia Tech, after Aurora. We can't just grieve and hold our children close. We have to demand that our country earn the right to call itself a civilized nation. We need to do this because our central job as parents -- maybe our only job, really -- is to keep our children safe so they can grow up. Easy access to guns keeps us from doing that job.

So what are you asking..... another compound question... lol?

his mother did not "give him the guns" ... she may have taught him about guns and to shoot.... but that is not "giving him the guns" So your "don't try and argue that" is another load of crap.

as to who is responsible.... the shooter is responsible.

Both of your examples are gun control examples.....so in my opinion, neither is right.

Last edited:

Ask yourself this question, Ludley: If you knew the answer, would it change much of anything? The kids and teachers are still dead.

"Collective responsibility (Not Collective Guilt) is a concept or doctrine, according to which individuals are to be held responsible for other people's actions by tolerating, ignoring, or harboring them, without actively collaborating in these actions."

How are we responsible for the actions of Adam Lanza?
Our culture is saturated with "heroic" gun violence; movies, television, video games all promote killing as "a way to fix what ails us."

The fictional violence becomes real for the children in Afghanistan and Pakistan on the receiving end of US drone assassinations administered via joystick from a desk in Nevada or California.

Pundits across the political dial assure us killing is a necessary tool of public policy, usually without mentioning how rising inequality, poverty, and plutocracy are trends that guarantee rising violence in any society in which they are tolerated.

Our "President" keeps a Kill List.
Our military justifies killing Afghan children as legitimate targets.
Our Investor Class gets rich from wars most of them refuse to participate in.

Our collective responsibility for Adam Lanza's actions start with our support for $1.2 trillion in annual war preparations, our decisions on which movies or TV shows we watch, "and (our) public myths about how problems can be solved."

What's the solution?
Let's Try Democracy

We know now that Lanza's mother gave him the guns he used. Don't try to argue that. Just like the grandfather of one of the Columbine shooters who gave his g'son the guns he used. But, here's couple of different pov's.

You're obviously a misinformed idiot. She did no such thing. He killed her and stole her guns.

We know now that Lanza's mother gave him the guns he used. Don't try to argue that. Just like the grandfather of one of the Columbine shooters who gave his g'son the guns he used. But, here's couple of different pov's.

You're obviously a misinformed idiot. She did no such thing. He killed her and stole her guns.

A most graphic and horrible case of storing guns carelessly and owning the crime.

A most graphic and horrible case of storing guns carelessly and owning the crime.

How do you know how she stored her guns?

"Collective responsibility (Not Collective Guilt) is a concept or doctrine, according to which individuals are to be held responsible for other people's actions by tolerating, ignoring, or harboring them, without actively collaborating in these actions."

Our culture is saturated with "heroic" gun violence; movies, television, video games all promote killing as "a way to fix what ails us."

The fictional violence becomes real for the children in Afghanistan and Pakistan on the receiving end of US drone assassinations administered via joystick from a desk in Nevada or California.

Pundits across the political dial assure us killing is a necessary tool of public policy, usually without mentioning how rising inequality, poverty, and plutocracy are trends that guarantee rising violence in any society in which they are tolerated.

Our collective responsibility for Adam Lanza's actions start with our support for $1.2 trillion in annual war preparations, our decisions on which movies or TV shows we watch, "and (our) public myths about how problems can be solved."

What's the solution?
Let's Try Democracy

sorry, we aren't living in a Communist country YET
And I wasn't born into some commune..
YOU can go start one though and go live there

What's the solution?
Let's Try Democracy
You leftists sure do like the kollektive, don't you?

Forum List

Back