Who's Most to Blame for Condition of US Economy? NYT/CBS Poll

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
Who is most to blame for the condition of the US economy?

Bush Administration 26%
Wall Street 25%
Congress 11%
Obama Admin 8%
All the above 7%

The poll also reveals some interesting statistics about the president and congress.

President Obama's approval/disapproval rating is 47/44%

Meanwhile, Congress' approval/disapproval rating is 20/70%

CBS News/NYT Poll: 6/29/11 - CBS News

Congress had better get it's act together because, it looks to me like the Republican Congress will get the blame if the debt ceiling isn't raised and there's a risk of either a default or a downgrading of America's credit rating, which, by the way, would cause interest rates to rise and put America even deeper in the hole.

Umm We the people of course, since we elect our leaders and re-elect them.
And we have contributed greatly to our problems as well in how we have been living our lives.

The point is pretty clear. Despite all the talk radio ranting and raving, and the Internet wailing and whining about how bad Obama is, it's clear that he's STILL more popular than Congress. Additionally, the general public STILL blames the Bush administration for the current state of the economy over Obama by better than a 3-1 margin.

You know what I think? I think that Americans in general are tuning conservatives out after years of listening to exaggerated claims and emotionally-charged rants on every subject under the sun.

It is quite stunning to see that the vast majority of Americans still blame either party or president for the entirety of the performance of our economy.

The point is pretty clear. Despite all the talk radio ranting and raving, and the Internet wailing and whining about how bad Obama is, it's clear that he's STILL more popular than Congress. Additionally, the general public STILL blames the Bush administration for the current state of the economy over Obama by better than a 3-1 margin.

You know what I think? I think that Americans in general are tuning conservatives out after years of listening to exaggerated claims and emotionally-charged rants on every subject under the sun.

You really think that 8% of the people in this country think Obama is to blame and 3 times that after 3 trillion in debt and 30 months still blame GWB?
ARE YOU SERIOUS?
check out the thread thats forth coming

Bush Administration 26%
Wall Street 25%
Congress 11%
Obama Admin 8%
All the above 7%

The poll also reveals some interesting statistics about the president and congress.

Congress had better get it's act together because, it looks to me like the Republican Congress will get the blame if the debt ceiling isn't raised and there's a risk of either a default or a downgrading of America's credit rating, which, by the way, would cause interest rates to rise and put America even deeper in the hole.

none of the above. the economy is in a shambles for two major reasons. people living beyond their means. we got ourselves on the edge. The high price of oil. This pushed us over the edge.

yes our government sucks, yes they screw us at every turn and the current debt is unforgivable. Yes, they should be doing more to push for alternative energy sources and foster job growth domestically. But people have to be prudent too.

Times/CBS polled the entire political spectrum from far Left to Lunatic Fringe Left and it was unanimous, it's all Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh's fault

You really think that 8% of the people in this country think Obama is to blame and 3 times that after 3 trillion in debt and 30 months still blame GWB?
ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Any non partisan who was an adult at the time of the economic meltdown of 2008 (which followed the recession which started in 2007) knows that President Obama and his administration is not responsible for the mess we're in.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Any non partisan who was an adult at the time of the economic meltdown of 2008 (which followed the recession which started in 2007) knows that President Obama and his administration is not responsible for the mess we're in.

Absolute rubbish... there is PLENTY of blame to go across both administrations and throughout the incarnations of congress as well..

To think Obama has no responsibility for the current situation shows exactly how much of a hyper-partisan idiot you truly are

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Absolute rubbish... there is PLENTY of blame to go across both administrations and throughout the incarnations of congress as well..

To think Obama has no responsibility for the current situation shows exactly how much of a hyper-partisan idiot you truly are

I think you're confused. While a majority of people don't blame Obama for the mess we're in, I'm sure they fully intend to hold him accountable (along with Congress) to do what's necessary to help get us OUT of this mess.

People would like it if someone would wave a magic wand and <poof> get us out of this economic mess. That's not going to happen. But being president, most people will hold Obama accountable for how fast the recovery happens. I get that. So does he and his staff of advisers.

Republicans would like everyone to believe that all that's necessary in order for the recovery to speed up is to get a Republican in office. But considering that Republicans are talking about revisiting the very same policies that precipitated the crisis (MORE corporate tax cuts, MORE deregulation of industry, including the banking and financial services sector, etc), that's not going to be an easy sell. It will be an even harder sell if someone like Michele Bachmann is the GOP nominee.

All I know is that Republicans better start coming up with some ideas instead of just railing against Obama because raging against the machine ain't gonna cut it when you've got nothing to sell.

Some balance. The last two weeks of polling has swung as high as 52 and low as 44 for BHO among polls. The current average of 47.2 puts him in the electable position for a sitting president historically. Manufacturing jobs are increasing, Greece is going on an austerity budget, Congress averages 19.2 favorable 73.4 unfavorable (RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Congressional Job Approval), gold down and the DOW up with a minor increase in oil (Yahoo! Finance - Business Finance, Stock Market, Quotes, News).

BHO's election chances will only get better with an improving economy.

Bush Administration 26%
Wall Street 25%
Congress 11%
Obama Admin 8%
All the above 7%

The Far RW echoe chamber has been trying to pin this all on Obama's back from before Bush properly got out of Office and Obama got in.

All their saber-rattling, lying, moaning, wailing, shrieking, screeching and otherwise buffoonery isn't working.

And it's driving them APESHAT.

lol
rofl.gif

Forum List

Back