Who Wrote Dreams From My Father?

Angel Heart

Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
October 09, 2008
Who Wrote Dreams From My Father?
By Jack Cashill
Prior to 1990, when Barack Obama contracted to write Dreams From My Father, he had written very close to nothing. Then, five years later, this untested 33 year-old produced what Time Magazine has called -- with a straight face -- "the best-written memoir ever produced by an American politician."

The public is asked to believe Obama wrote Dreams From My Father on his own, almost as though he were some sort of literary idiot savant. I do not buy this canard for a minute, not at all. Writing is as much a craft as, say, golf. To put this in perspective, imagine if a friend played a few rounds in the high 90s and then a few years later, without further practice, made the PGA Tour. It doesn't happen.

And yet, given the biases of the literary establishment, no reviewer of note has so much as questioned Obama's role in the writing, then or now. As the New York Times gushed, Obama was "that rare politician who can write . . . and write movingly and genuinely about himself." These accolades matter all the more because Obama has built his political persona around his presumably superior intellect, Dreams being exhibit A.

More...

It was obviously ghost written.

I can't imagine BHO writing a book all those aaahhhs and uuummmms would drive an editor nuts.

I've not a clue to whether or not he wrote two autobiographies before age 40. What is confusing is he really hadn't accomplished much until after those were written. One would think that someone so reflective and determined to share these ideas through published works, would be an open person.

So why does he or his surrogates prevent the telling of his years and records at the universities? Why not explain how he was admitted to Harvard? Give the details on his associates in Chicago and Illinois Senate years?

I've not a clue to whether or not he wrote two autobiographies before age 40. What is confusing is he really hadn't accomplished much until after those were written. One would think that someone so reflective and determined to share these ideas through published works, would be an open person.

So why does he or his surrogates prevent the telling of his years and records at the universities? Why not explain how he was admitted to Harvard? Give the details on his associates in Chicago and Illinois Senate years?

I think it's a case of "blinded by Obama love", which the media and many voters suffer from.

Re: who wrote "Dreams of My Father": Also take a look at what he (or whoever) SAYS in the book about RACE. Obama is Not, Not, Not a wholesome 'post-racial' hipster, by his own admission. He sought to shed his white side, become black, and nurse hard resentments toward whites. Check out Phyllis Schlafly's column on this.

No, it's there if you want to read it.

Go to thatone08.com

I guess graduating from Harvard with honors is nothing. Any Harvard graduates out there want to comment on that?

He worked his way up the ladder. I guess that's also nothing?

Go to thatone08.com

I guess graduating from Harvard with honors is nothing. Any Harvard graduates out there want to comment on that?

How did he 'work' his way up? I live in Chicago area, saw his 'work.' Not too successful there, which btw, was prior to Harvard. His lack of candor was noticed before and after state legislature run, loss, win. That he was opportunistic was also noted and some of his ties with strange associates also noted, way back when he was asked about first running, I brought these issues up, around 2 years ago. That he was being credited for legislation that Meeks wrote, pushed, and passed, was also noted. That's not 'work.'

I think I'm confused.... is this obviously right wing website insinuating that because Obama hadn't written a book BEFORE his first book, that somehow that shows he couldn't have written Dreams of my father?

I, personally find this rather amusing, being a person who has never written a book in my life nor do I have any professional writing experience or training but I have been told by many people that I have a gift for writing and should become a writer. Some people have the ability to put pen to paper and have their message and intent flow out like water down a stream. It takes no special training or education to be a writer, that's called editing. It is about being able to know what you want to say and being able to express yourself through written word.

It's also interesting that this American Thinker website would find it strange that it took Obama five years to write this book. If it had been written in one or even two years, I might see their point, but FIVE? That's not exactly a record breaking pace now is it.

It seems that this is the climate we live in. The attacks on Obama's thin association with Ayers aren't working, no one cares about Rev Wright anymore and Rezko has said Obama did nothing wrong... so next step say he couldn't have written his book on his own.

Painting him as a liar isn't working. but it is fun to watch you guys try.

This guy's ability to write was so obvious that he was the editor of the Harvard Law review, folks.

But do keep grasping at straws, won't you?

I find your empty heading whining about such nonsense music to my ears.

Did Obama write it or did he use a ghost writer is not important item about the book. What is important is that he claims the book is a psychological reflection on race and inheritance. Okay--I'm willing to take him at his word. Hence, for me what is important is what he says and what he doesn't say.

I suspect Obama would be hard pressed to FIND a ghost writer with his facility to write, to be honest.

People don't get annointed the editor of the Harvard law review willy nilly.

No affirmative action was needed for that man to get that post, I am VERY sure.

Watching this rumor trying to get off the ground is very heartening to me because it simply proves to me that the McCain team is deperate to field any character assassinating lie they can think up.

I do NOT think the American people are going to fall for this kind of CRAP this time around folks.

Lie to me once, shame on you. Lie to me twice, shame on me.

The independents who decided the last election (assuming it wasn't stolen, of course) aren't going to fall for this kind of crap this time.

Not with the nation in the kind of shape Junior's leaving it, at least.

The TRUTH, that the neo-cons are not really interested in the well being of the American people, is, I think OUTED.

It is pretty god damned hard for a nonpartisan loyal not to notice that every major policy of the Neo-Cons has ended in disaster for the AMERICAN PEOPLE.

Last edited:

The TRUTH, that the neo-cons are not really interested in the well being of the American people, is, I think OUTED.

It is pretty god damned hard for a nonpartisan loyal not to notice that every major policy of the Neo-Cons has ended in disaster for the AMERICAN PEOPLE.

Hallelujah! This is a sentiment I've shared for a long time. What's confusing is that it is these people who have done some many things out of self-interest, which have hurt out country, while claiming to care for the American people, and believing they are 'patriotic,' all the while denouncing anyone for being unpatriotic, such as, I don't.... free speech, the right to have one's own opinion. It's all so ridiculous. It's like a bad comedy.

I'm pretty sure that when you're a lawyer, you have to be a good writer. You're all talking like he just woke up about of bed, and started writing. He's a smart guy. Look at the way he speaks. The way he ties words together. He's an incredibly eloquent communicator, whether you like him or not. These tactics aimed at smearing him really are immature, to say the least.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that when you're a lawyer, you have to be a good writer.
Ummmm...no, no you don't. In fact, I recall an university english prof' who had nothing but distain for the writing ablity of laywer's. One of the first rules he taught was avoid needless words and all the pre-law students could not get a handle on that.

I think I'm confused.... is this obviously right wing website insinuating that because Obama hadn't written a book BEFORE his first book, that somehow that shows he couldn't have written Dreams of my father?

I, personally find this rather amusing, being a person who has never written a book in my life nor do I have any professional writing experience or training but I have been told by many people that I have a gift for writing and should become a writer. Some people have the ability to put pen to paper and have their message and intent flow out like water down a stream. It takes no special training or education to be a writer, that's called editing. It is about being able to know what you want to say and being able to express yourself through written word.

It's also interesting that this American Thinker website would find it strange that it took Obama five years to write this book. If it had been written in one or even two years, I might see their point, but FIVE? That's not exactly a record breaking pace now is it.

It seems that this is the climate we live in. The attacks on Obama's thin association with Ayers aren't working, no one cares about Rev Wright anymore and Rezko has said Obama did nothing wrong... so next step say he couldn't have written his book on his own.

Painting him as a liar isn't working. but it is fun to watch you guys try.[/QUOTE]

Yeah his father was some poor goat herder in Kenya, that JFK decided to bring to the US to study. When Obama SR. came here in 1959, and JFK's airlift didn't happen until Sept. 1960. One lie....by Obama

Next....
His mother and father met as a result of the Selma March. Barrack Jr. was born 4 years before the Selma March....."Don't tell me I don't have a stake in Selma" paraphrasing....:cuckoo:

etc......

Last edited:

Go to thatone08.com

I wonder if we have any Harvard graduates here? Or any Harvard graduates that were on the Law review? Anyone? Anyone so we can their "superior intelligence" in another form maybe too? :eusa_whistle:

I wonder if we have any Harvard graduates here? Or any Harvard graduates that were on the Law review? Anyone? Anyone so we can their "superior intelligence" in another form maybe too? :eusa_whistle:

For one, you need to graduate from HS first, before you question other's college education. Finally, going to Havard doesn't create a superior intelligence, a person's own mental capacity creates an intelligence superiority.

For one, you need to graduate from HS first, before you question other's college education. Finally, going to Havard doesn't create a superior intelligence, a person's own mental capacity creates an intelligence superiority.

I was being sarcastic since the right answer is it doesn't matter what college you go to.

Feel free to try and drag my age/status back into this to try and make yourself feel superior, it won't work.

Obama has done more in these last twenty months that I doubt you could ever do Jreeves. Then again, you might get thrown out of the race very quickly if they ever found out you wanted to punch a woman very badly. :eusa_whistle:

I was being sarcastic since the right answer is it doesn't matter what college you go to.

Feel free to try and drag my age/status back into this to try and make yourself feel superior, it won't work.Obama has done more in these last twenty months that I doubt you could ever do Jreeves. Then again, you might get thrown out of the race very quickly if they ever found out you wanted to punch a woman very badly. :eusa_whistle:

I thought you brought up the whole "superiority" complex. Obama is playing on the whole, 'not another 4 years mantra' and is the king of Chicago politics. So yes, I don't think I could stoop to his level of sleeze.

Forum List

Back