Who Would Pull the Trigger Today?

Today? Obama would pull the trigger if the bomb were being dropped on Israel or Texas.

Just sayin'.

The dilemma of using the bomb again really isn't the dilemma for the USA. We ended a war and saved countless lives when it was called for, and have been responsible bomb owners ever since.
Iran will have no qualms about using one for gain. Israel will use one if it looks like they are going to be annihilated. Damascus is going to be leveled by one, never to became inhabited again. For it to be considered a moral dilemma, one would have to be guided by moral conviction, something the world is woefully short on.

There is a lot of talk today, understandably on the 70th anniversary of the act, about the bombing of Hiroshima. It is a very complex moral and military question. I'm wondering if, regardless of your view of the decision 70 years ago, you would ever support the US making a similar decision under any circumstances today? If so, what would those circumstances have to be?
Under any circumstances, no. Under those circumstances, yes.

Ive not done the research or seen the thorough military research that concluded it resulted in a net saving of lives.

That is the only way I'd do it, is if a thorough research project was done ensuring its a net saviour.
There didn't seem to be any moral dilemma when Japan declared war on America and started killing us. The onus was on Japan, not the USA. And because of that, if bombing them is what it took to stop them from killing one more American, then our President did a good job.

Keep in mind that they were so intent on destroying us, that bombing them didn't stop their resolve, even at the expense of their own citizens. We had to do it again before Japan determined their murderous plan for us wasn't going to work.

That doesn't really address the question.
No, it really doesn't does it.

This question gets a lot more thought provoking the more I ponder it.

It seems like any targets the US might come up with, under the long list of possible scenarios, would place that target in the orbit of another nuclear nation that would take exception to us nuking them.

Thus the term "proliferation"

Not only is Iran Obama's go to guy but he has promised that if Israel fights back, we will support Iran.
Proliferation is what is going to happen now that we support a terrorist nation like Iran in their bomb assembly line goal. The culmination of that will be so many bombs going off that we will actually tilt this planet off it's axis.

Not only is Iran Obama's go to guy but he has promised that if Israel fights back, we will support Iran.
Proliferation is what is going to happen now that we support a terrorist nation like Iran in their bomb assembly line goal. The culmination of that will be so many bombs going off that we will actually tilt this planet off it's axis.
Are you a mormon? I know mormons are allowed to lie to further their agenda.

You guys ought to at least try to understand the "agreement", or you'll just be relying on someone elses opinion of it

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/nuke/R43333.pdf

I started reading it ^^^^^^^^^^^ and it's mind numbing, plus, I don't understand the more scientific stuff, but hey, at least it's a start to grasping what seems to be something only a rocket scientist and a physicist would understand

No Rav, I'm not a Mormon. Without ever seeing a Bible, if God came to me and said, "I'm God." I'd say, "Prove it.". If He handed me Revelation, that would be all of the proof I need. It is coming to fruition so quickly it's scary.

If you think this Iran deal has anything to do with energy, consider the fact that the "deal" limits the amount of Iran's nuke power to well below what is needed to produce energy. But allows enough to produce bombs. Then their is the recent purchase of planes that can refuel in the air. What does that have to do with their "energy program"?
Do you see a scenario where Iran would sell or give Hamas a dirty bomb? A low load bomb? Do you see Iran marching into other's territory, like Yemen for example? or Iraq?
I can tell you who is going to Invade Israel, and the other predictions. We can see if the predictions are accurate, and who was able to predict it a few thousand years before the event.

Do you see a scenario where all Nations will be against Israel? I couldn't. Until we elected Obama.

There is a lot of talk today, understandably on the 70th anniversary of the act, about the bombing of Hiroshima. It is a very complex moral and military question. I'm wondering if, regardless of your view of the decision 70 years ago, you would ever support the US making a similar decision under any circumstances today? If so, what would those circumstances have to be?

I've read a great deal about this, and it was the right decision. Another 4 years of war was not a reasonable option, nor was allowing Stalin to invade Japan.
That is absurd. You think Japan could have fought for another four years. Oh brother, your reading about the events must have been terribly limited. Japan was a broken defeated nation incapable of defending itself in 1945. It's people were starving and destitute. It's military destroyed.

Did it ever occur to you that when the B-29 dropped those two bombs, it was the lone plane in the sky. No Japanese aircraft contested it. Does that not mean anything to you?

And to think Stalin capable of taking Japan, is foolish. The Russians had an army, but no navy, no significant air force and no nukes. The USA would have wiped him out easily had he tried to invade Japan, if it had chosen to.

Last edited:
If, ever, something happened to Israel, that tiny enclave that has isolated itself in the middle of hostile neighbors, it would not be the job of America to simply exact vengeance after the fact.

Forum List

Back