Who Would Pull the Trigger Today?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
There is a lot of talk today, understandably on the 70th anniversary of the act, about the bombing of Hiroshima. It is a very complex moral and military question. I'm wondering if, regardless of your view of the decision 70 years ago, you would ever support the US making a similar decision under any circumstances today? If so, what would those circumstances have to be?

Ive not done the research or seen the thorough military research that concluded it resulted in a net saving of lives.

That is the only way I'd do it, is if a thorough research project was done ensuring its a net saviour.

The only excuse to use nuclear weapons would be to destroy other such weapons that were about to be used. In other words, to avoid greater loss of innocent lives.

There is a lot of talk today, understandably on the 70th anniversary of the act, about the bombing of Hiroshima. It is a very complex moral and military question. I'm wondering if, regardless of your view of the decision 70 years ago, you would ever support the US making a similar decision under any circumstances today? If so, what would those circumstances have to be?
If it became necessary. In other words, as a last resort. If we were to be fired upon first. If we were to be attacked in like fashion, and had no choice but to defend ourselves. Otherwise, no. It would probably mean the end of mankind if it were to ever happen. Once it starts, there would be no stopping until mankind was erased from the face of the Earth. It would contaminate food, water, land, air, and cause a thousand years of health issues. No one would escape. It would be total devastation. No winners, everyone would lose. But, in my opinion, sooner or later, some nut is going to hit the button. We have a lot of crazy people in this world, and some hold very high positions in world governments. It's very possible that it will happen at some point in time.

Using it would have to be a very last resort, and only in defense should we be attacked first.

I was ready to nuke somebody when the first tower fell.

I would not support such a measure. Ever. That was a type of devastation that should never be repeated. Ever. It was unnecessary.

Wars are called by those who won't lose anything. People are destroyed until those that called it decide to go back to the table.

There didn't seem to be any moral dilemma when Japan declared war on America and started killing us. The onus was on Japan, not the USA. And because of that, if bombing them is what it took to stop them from killing one more American, then our President did a good job.

Keep in mind that they were so intent on destroying us, that bombing them didn't stop their resolve, even at the expense of their own citizens. We had to do it again before Japan determined their murderous plan for us wasn't going to work.

They made three attempts to end the war. Their cities, wooden cities, had already been burned to the ground. It was unnecessary.

The name of the game was about making sure that the Soviet Union knew what we could do.

It's very hard to imagine a positive outcome of using nuclear weapons in a stretegic sense.

Wehn we dropped one on Japan, there was no proliferation.

Ive not done the research or seen the thorough military research that concluded it resulted in a net saving of lives.

That is the only way I'd do it, is if a thorough research project was done ensuring its a net saviour.
There didn't seem to be any moral dilemma when Japan declared war on America and started killing us. The onus was on Japan, not the USA. And because of that, if bombing them is what it took to stop them from killing one more American, then our President did a good job.

Keep in mind that they were so intent on destroying us, that bombing them didn't stop their resolve, even at the expense of their own citizens. We had to do it again before Japan determined their murderous plan for us wasn't going to work.

That doesn't really address the question.

The people that would make that decision will sight fear as their reason.

You asked under what circumstance would I support it.

My paragraph #2 addressed it.

What else you wanna know?

I was ready to nuke somebody when the first tower fell.
That is a terribly emotional response, but understandable. The problem with actually doing that is you would have murdered untold numbers of innocent people, just as Truman did.

You asked under what circumstance would I support it.

My paragraph #2 addressed it.

What else you wanna know?

I wasn't replying to you.

I've read a great deal about this, and it was the right decision. Another 4 years of war was not a reasonable option, nor was allowing Stalin to invade Japan.

Forum List

Back