Who was the greatest American to you and why?

Probably Andrew Carnegie. He built America and then proceeded to give the profits away to charity.

Bill Cosby. Great comedian. I haven't followed his career in the past few years, but I'm sure he's still going strong.

Tell us who was the greatest American to you and why?

Too many great Americans to count. But one of the of the less-greater Americans was an Italian map-maker who gave our country its name.

Otherwise, we would have been named "Columbia" or something.

Pontifa de Aaronleland. He wrote the Star Spangled Banner using the blood of an injun, ended slavery using jazz hands, and invented American Ninja Warrior.

I think I'm a bit drunk, guys.

Andrew Jackson.

Great American hero. Fought the British. Fought the savages. Defied two assassination attempts. Nicknamed 'Old Hickory' for his toughness. Quite possibly the greatest American to ever live.

First, thanks for asking, Mortimer. I almost feel prosaic in answering, but I think the greatest American was a man who was described as "First in war, first in peace, and first in the heart of his fellow countrymen." That would be George Washington.

And Why?

First, he was a surveyor, and even back when he was young, he may have been an extraordinary mathematical wizard, having started out young as a land surveyor. This requires an engineering accuracy known as the truth, and the ability to say no to a landowner who wants you to give him a foot of his neighbor's property, and if called out would tell a lie. That may be why one of his earliest quote was to tell his father, "Father, I cannot tell a lie. I chopped down the cherry tree." Whether the fabled story was the truth or a mere saying is not known to those who told the tale, but I believe he had the trust of his friends and neighbors for his reliability, and using his every word and deed to honor God to the benefit of his fellow man. When his ragged soldiers had needs, he knew where to find funding outside the always-broke Continental Congress.

In short, he took the power of the top general, and when he dealt with men, he turned rogues into winners, mice into men. He was resourceful and called on his benefactors to please furnish shoes and decent suits of clothing for his men, some of who had just become adults. He beat the British, dealt fairly with them, long before the Congress called on him to pull the nation together as its first President.

I've read stacks and stacks of his papers (found online), and I grew to revere George Washington for knowing to do the right thing for formulating this country, and I'm very glad it was he who was chosen to be America's first President. May we all learn more about him and know how fervent our pilgrim fathers and mothers begot the most wonderful and fair laws for the common people of this great land.

I have a feeling that we won't see too many libs posting on this thread because most of them HATE America. Sad, but true.
We need to help them see the light, bluzman61. We need to start trust between the parties, and this is as good of a place as any others. Good night, I'm falling asleep this early morning.

First, thanks for asking, Mortimer. I almost feel prosaic in answering, but I think the greatest American was a man who was described as "First in war, first in peace, and first in the heart of his fellow countrymen." That would be George Washington.

And Why?

First, he was a surveyor, and even back when he was young, he may have been an extraordinary mathematical wizard, having started out young as a land surveyor. This requires an engineering accuracy known as the truth, and the ability to say no to a landowner who wants you to give him a foot of his neighbor's property, and if called out would tell a lie. That may be why one of his earliest quote was to tell his father, "Father, I cannot tell a lie. I chopped down the cherry tree." Whether the fabled story was the truth or a mere saying is not known to those who told the tale, but I believe he had the trust of his friends and neighbors for his reliability, and using his every word and deed to honor God to the benefit of his fellow man. When his ragged soldiers had needs, he knew where to find funding outside the always-broke Continental Congress.

In short, he took the power of the top general, and when he dealt with men, he turned rogues into winners, mice into men. He was resourceful and called on his benefactors to please furnish shoes and decent suits of clothing for his men, some of who had just become adults. He beat the British, dealt fairly with them, long before the Congress called on him to pull the nation together as its first President.

I've read stacks and stacks of his papers (found online), and I grew to revere George Washington for knowing to do the right thing for formulating this country, and I'm very glad it was he who was chosen to be America's first President. May we all learn more about him and know how fervent our pilgrim fathers and mothers begot the most wonderful and fair laws for the common people of this great land.
George Washington is the father of our country and truly a great American. He sacrificed so much for this nation. I hope he is resting with our father in heaven.

And Why?

Outstanding post! Very informative and very well-written. If I WERE to choose just one individual (I chose ALL of those who have given their lives for our country.) it would be George Washington. For all the reasons you eloquently pointed out. Thanks for your fantastic post.

Too many I am aware of to list.

I like Lincoln, Edison and Reagan. Lincoln and Reagan for confronting evil, Edison for his invention. If the spirit of what these three men embodied, not only would America and capitalism be better, but the world would be more free and fair.

arlington-national-cemetery-750x350-1537211509-5283.jpg

Tesla...

Let see anyone disagrees!?!

Why?

Oh he might have been born in Yugoslavia and if I am correct Serbian but all his greatest inventions came after coming here...

The man was a pure genius and we still are learning from his inventions and adapting...

Forum List

Back