Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General John Hood

• General Ambrose Burnside

• General George McClellan

• Total voters
After his numerous successes in the West Grant won the war in the East by FIGHTING the War and not individual battles. He knew what his assets were and he USED them. He ground down Lee and the Confederates with his strengths.

He refused to be deterred by any battle defeat and concentrated on the BIG picture, which was his job as Commander of the entire theater. He refused to retreat and lick his wounds like all his predecessors had done. He used the numerical and technological advantages the North had and forced the Army to fight on.

The Confederate Army was exausted before Grant took over. Though he did not return to DC after the wilderness there was really no need to. Defeat of Lee's army was a guarentee for whomever took charge at that point. Though Vicksburg was a work of art.

Grant fought a war, Lee fought battles. When Lee held Grant off in the Wilderness and Grant's men filed off to the east, once again they thought they had been beaten. When they instead turned south on the old plank and orange road, regiment after regiment, brigade after brigade, division after division, corps after corps, began cheering at the top of their voices. Miles away, Lee raised his head and knew the war was over except for the dying.

Lee was the best or the Civil war would have been over so much faster.

Grant was next IMHO because he actually implemented a winning strategy

Sherman would have been next because his tactics caused the war to end earlier by breaking the confederacy's back.

I keep on wondering why folks think Lee could have achieved anything at Gettysburg but different kinds of disaster.

Actually, General Thomas destroyed two armies in the filed. I forget the first time, but the second time was at Nashville.

And Starkey forgot about Chattanooga, which was where Grant took on the problem faced by Pemberton in Vicksburg, and defeated the besieging forces and chased them away.

All Lee had going for him was berserker courage and quality engineering. Grant would never have caused anything remotely like Antittum and Gettysburg Lee built his glory on a huge pile of corpses from the Seven days onward. Grant build this victories on strategic misdirection and speed.

Getteysburg would have been a different story if Confederates took the high ground which was certainly in their grasp. But the fella that replaced Jackson was not a Jackson himself and didnt have the understanding of Lee's incredably vague orders. Of course, Lee's orders are alway circumstantial and up to the initiative of the commander in the field.

The confeds should have taken Culp and failed because their leaders failed.

The 1st and 45th Alabama failed at Little Round Top because their leaders failed.

Lee listened to Stuart and ignored Longstreet instead of the opposite.

Lee failed because he did not think ahead.

John Buford, Winfield Scott Hancock, Joshua Chamberlain, and so many others succeeded because they were worthy of success.

Last edited:

Sherman would have been next because his tactics caused the war to end earlier by breaking the confederacy's back.

Lee's and Jackson's leadership were the only ones that stood the test of time. Of course, Lee could have never been a Sherman because Lee gave strict orders to not burn, loot, rape, and pillage.

Lee's and Jackson's leadership were the only ones that stood the test of time. Of course, Lee could have never been a Sherman because Lee gave strict orders to not burn, loot, rape, and pillage.
It's part of why Lee is the greatest of them all. He did it without resorting to the tactics that Sherman then perfected.

I think one of the most brillant jobs of command in the civil war (there were many of course) was Col. Benjamin Grierson raid through the confederacy, 600 miles throughthe enemies home turf. Even though the casualties and manpower involved did not approach the thousands in the east the very audacity, daring and execution of this raid was brilliant.

But the question was the best General, not the highest ranking Generals. There were many good ones on both sides and ranking them is difficult because not all the circumstances were the same. For me Gen. Hancock was the kind of man you wanted to lead. At Gettysburgh he took command and showed leadership, exposing himself to fire and even sustaining wounds but refusing to leave the field until it was over. His presence on the field inspired the Union soldiers to fight and hold the line just as Stonewall Jackson did for the South earlier in the war.

Last edited:
I keep on wondering why folks think Lee could have achieved anything at Gettysburg but different kinds of disaster.

Actually, General Thomas destroyed two armies in the filed. I forget the first time, but the second time was at Nashville.

And Starkey forgot about Chattanooga, which was where Grant took on the problem faced by Pemberton in Vicksburg, and defeated the besieging forces and chased them away.

All Lee had going for him was berserker courage and quality engineering. Grant would never have caused anything remotely like Antittum and Gettysburg Lee built his glory on a huge pile of corpses from the Seven days onward. Grant build this victories on strategic misdirection and speed.

Ha..I thought I would trump the field by naming The Sledge of Nashville......;)...agreed.

I must say I am flabbergasted the OP would mention Burnside or McClellan......

Scott had a brilliant strategic mind despite is age and infirmities, his "Anaconda" plan was 2 years early in thought , and was subsequently seen for the genius it was.

Last edited:
One you haven't mentioned Johnson Hagood, He was a great general with what he had to work with. He went on to be the govenor of the State of South Carolina and was beloved by his men.

Scott had a brilliant strategic mind despite is age and infirmities, his "Anaconda" plan was 2 years early in thought , and was subsequently seen for the genius it was.
Same here. McClellan was too unwilling to scuff his spit-polish army to get them into a real fight and had a general strategic cowardice.

The best tactical general was Stonewall Jackson.

The best operational general was U.S. Grant, the only general to kill a major enemy army in the field (Lee), and the only one to defeat a major enemy army in the field and drive it into fortifications and kill it (Pemberton).

The best strategic general was Winfield Scott who developed the Anaconda plans for defeating the CSA (blockade and capture of the Mississippi River).

General Grant got to clean up General McClellan's scraps and he rode that all the way in to the White House. I wouldent have contributed Lee's surrender to Grant. If Lee had won Getteysburg and for some odd reason the war continued, Grant would have been no match for Lee. Furthermore, if Grant had control of the Army before Gettysburg he would have been thrown under the bus in defeat just like every other northern general. Grant was about as good as a commander as he was president. And yes this is taking in to account Vicksburg.
Both Grant ad Shermen have a lot of blood on their hands.

The best tactical general was Stonewall Jackson.

The best operational general was U.S. Grant, the only general to kill a major enemy army in the field (Lee), and the only one to defeat a major enemy army in the field and drive it into fortifications and kill it (Pemberton).

The best strategic general was Winfield Scott who developed the Anaconda plans for defeating the CSA (blockade and capture of the Mississippi River).

General Grant got to clean up General McClellan's scraps and he rode that all the way in to the White House. I wouldent have contributed Lee's surrender to Grant. If Lee had won Getteysburg and for some odd reason the war continued, Grant would have been no match for Lee. Furthermore, if Grant had control of the Army before Gettysburg he would have been thrown under the bus in defeat just like every other northern general. Grant was about as good as a commander as he was president. And yes this is taking in to account Vicksburg.

SHILOH
Grants disposition of forces was a joke. Instead of having his forces dug in he had them in in tents like a Sunday at the fair. Sherman was in fault too. It was here though that Grant did show his leadership in battle. He recieved a couple of minor wounds and was seen all over the battlefield.

We forget today just how shattering the effect of the Civil War on our country: greater than the Independence or even the Depression or World Wars or Vietnam. More than 600,000 soldiers dead, perhaps another 50,000 civilians dead, more than a million injured, the South's economy and culture devastated. The South was soaked in blood.

I have heard it suggested that McClellan (a general whom his troops worshipped) thought in terms of a limited war ~ how to bring back the South without disturbing it or the fact of slavery. He was too cautious, for a fact (the Penisular Campaign and Antietam witness that), but I wonder if he was unwilling to shed excessive amounts of soldiers' blood and wounds and lives for an enslaved race.

SHILOH
Grants disposition of forces was a joke. Instead of having his forces dug in he had them in in tents like a Sunday at the fair. Sherman was in fault too. It was here though that Grant did show his leadership in battle. He recieved a couple of minor wounds and was seen all over the battlefield.

The battle indicates the transformation from earlier battles and wars of the 19th century to the evidences of modern war, including field fortifications.

Grant was an innovater for sure. The (former?) alcoholic was the first American general to purposely make war on civilians. If the Union didn't win he would have been tried as a war criminal. Grant authorized the devistation of the Shenandoah Valley in Va. where Blue clad terrorists were authorized to burn barns and loot homes for provisions (and valuables). In other areas Grant authorized his mentally unstable (insane?) general Sherman, who apparently thought he was God's terrible swift sword, to order civilians to evacuate Atlanta while they burned the city to the ground. Grant authorized war crimes that would not be tolerated in any other conflict in US history.

Anaconda was common since. There was nothing special about it.

McClellan couldn't grab his butt with both hands free.

He almost lost the war for the Union until Lincoln replaced him with Grant.

Grant was an innovater for sure. The (former?) alcoholic was the first American general to purposely make war on civilians. If the Union didn't win he would have been tried as a war criminal. Grant authorized the devistation of the Shenandoah Valley in Va. where Blue clad terrorists were authorized to burn barns and loot homes for provisions (and valuables). In other areas Grant authorized his mentally unstable (insane?) general Sherman, who apparently thought he was God's terrible swift sword, to order civilians to evacuate Atlanta while they burned the city to the ground. Grant authorized war crimes that would not be tolerated in any other conflict in US history.

Americans have preyed on Americans before. Did you forget about reading about Patriot and Loyalist? Did you forget about the bloodshed from North Carolina to Northern Florida?

Yes, Grant and Sherman waged war against an insurgent South to break their spirit. They succeeded. After the fall of Atlanta, thousands upon thousands of rebels deserted and went home. Their families were writing them to come home.

Forum List

Back