Who wants to go to Dubai?!!

Where are the Antifa protesters? Odd we never hear a peep out of them about actual fascist governments.

Do you know whether these people are protesting places like Dubai and Qater?

The US govt seems to get all moral when it comes to Iran, but then ignores their morals when it comes to Saudi Arabia, for example.

I don't see Dubai and Qatar doing things that would destabilize entire sections of the world, which would warrant our government speaking out against them.

That said... I've seen a number of different articles, about US citizens being stuck in a number of countries around the world, being held for crazy bonkers reasons.

This particular event seems a little more odd than usual, but given how many millions go to Dubai on a regular basis, without problem.... I think it's more of a one-off than a systematic failure of cultural proportions.

Perhaps I'm wrong. But I'm not sure I'd make such dramatic conclusions from a specific event.

You don't see it. Does it mean it's not happening?

The Saudis used the excuse that the Qataris were finding terrorism. They said this because they know it ticks the boxes for the US to support them. Coming from Saudi Arabia is massively rich as they do have a history of funding terrorism all over the place.

I don't think this is a one off failing. This sort of story comes out every few months or so. There was one a French footballer who was playing there. They literally wouldn't let him leave the country because his employers get to keep his passport. Therefore if the company doesn't want him to leave, then he's screwed.

That Qatar was given the soccer world cup in 2022 is an absolute travesty for many reasons. 1) Qatar has never qualified for a World Cup ever. 2) They don't have a team that could compete even with their foreigners. 3) Their human rights abuses are well known. 4) It's too freaking hot to play soccer in 50 degree plus temperatures. But it's amazing what bribery can do for a country.

The US totally ignores the Saudi's human rights abuses, ignores its funding of terrorism. Literally the Saudis don't even need to hide their disdain for the US much, they put a few flowers on their farts and the US is massively happy, why? Oil.

As someone who use to go to Dubai often for weekend vacations, Dubai is one of the liberal cities in the middle east. I'm sure the the man's touching was much more serious then just a simple touch.

Some these expats (especially the white ones) have a tendency to make up things when they caught because they know the western conservative media will eat it up just like you are.
The story is usually about a couple caught shagging on the beach. That would get you arrested anywhere in the world.

Briton Jamie Harron faces jail for touching man in Dubai bar

A British man is facing three years in jail in Dubai after touching another man in a bar.

Jamie Harron's legal team claim he briefly made contact with the man to avoid spilling a drink on him.

The incident led to him being arrested for public indecency.

The 27-year-old electrician, from Stirling, has been stuck in the UAE since July after his passport was confiscated by authorities.

He was initially locked up in Al Barsha prison for five days before being released on bail.

Since then he has reportedly been forced to spend more than £30,000 in expenses and legal fees.

The chief executive of Detained in Dubai, Radha Stirling, said: "It is quite outrageous that he has been held in the country for so long already.

"This is another example of how vulnerable tourists are to arrest and detention in Dubai and at how drawn out and disorganised legal proceedings are."

People that go to that shithole are idiots. Do they never learn???

Apparently T is welcome there, even before his presidency.

Where are the Antifa protesters? Odd we never hear a peep out of them about actual fascist governments.

The US govt seems to get all moral when it comes to Iran, but then ignores their morals when it comes to Saudi Arabia, for example.

I don't see Dubai and Qatar doing things that would destabilize entire sections of the world, which would warrant our government speaking out against them.

That said... I've seen a number of different articles, about US citizens being stuck in a number of countries around the world, being held for crazy bonkers reasons.

This particular event seems a little more odd than usual, but given how many millions go to Dubai on a regular basis, without problem.... I think it's more of a one-off than a systematic failure of cultural proportions.

Perhaps I'm wrong. But I'm not sure I'd make such dramatic conclusions from a specific event.

The Saudis used the excuse that the Qataris were finding terrorism. They said this because they know it ticks the boxes for the US to support them. Coming from Saudi Arabia is massively rich as they do have a history of funding terrorism all over the place.

I don't think this is a one off failing. This sort of story comes out every few months or so. There was one a French footballer who was playing there. They literally wouldn't let him leave the country because his employers get to keep his passport. Therefore if the company doesn't want him to leave, then he's screwed.

That Qatar was given the soccer world cup in 2022 is an absolute travesty for many reasons. 1) Qatar has never qualified for a World Cup ever. 2) They don't have a team that could compete even with their foreigners. 3) Their human rights abuses are well known. 4) It's too freaking hot to play soccer in 50 degree plus temperatures. But it's amazing what bribery can do for a country.

The US totally ignores the Saudi's human rights abuses, ignores its funding of terrorism. Literally the Saudis don't even need to hide their disdain for the US much, they put a few flowers on their farts and the US is massively happy, why? Oil.

I have read a lot about the Saudis and the Qatar terrorism claim. They sort of have a point, and so the Qataris. Qatar has an open policy towards almost everyone. So naturally it's a hub for passing money from the Western world (which has money) to the Middle East. Most of that money goes to non-violent, non-combatant, non-hostile countries. Of course some does, which ticks off the Saudis.

The whole Qatar World Cup is of course, bonkers. But then.... soccer has corruption literally everywhere. Corruption was the defacto mode of operation. Everything about soccer was corrupt, from fixed matches, to bribes, to international deal making. The only sport more corrupted than Soccer is Tennis.

It's not because of Oil. I don't buy that lame excuse for a claim. If you can provide actual proof, instead of empty assumptions, and endless hearsay from partisan motivated pundits, then give that proof. I'll research it.

The reason we support the Saudis, is the same exact reason we supported the Shah of Iran.

It's real simple. As screwed up and crazy as the Saudis are, just like the Shah was, it's still better than an openly and intentionally hostile government. We see right now what letting the Shah of Iran fall, has resulted. A tyrannical, openly hostile, actively terroristic, and regionally destabilizing power replaced the Shaw.

The only active trigger for a 3rd world war, outside of North Korea, is Iran.

If the Saudis fall in Arabia, I would give 50 to 1 odds that a radical hostile fanatical government would replace them, and I can almost guarantee it would spark a world war. The only reason Iran hasn't sparked a war already, is because the Saudis have pushed a non-confrontational, but containment policy regarding them.

But you replace the Saudis with a hostile radical government, and it will be war. And that war will draw in other countries, and one country that could be pulled into it, is Russia... and that would pull in the US.

You want that? No? I don't either. So as screwed up as the Saudis are, they are still better than any alternative that we can see.

Especially after we 'liberated' Libya, and the Arab spring in Egypt.... I'm not seeing that toppling dictatorships has worked well. They knock out one crazy person, and other crazy people replace them, that are worse than who was kicked out.

Do you see toppling the Saudis will have a positive effect? I don't. Be honest, is you do, tell me why, and who you think will replace them. I am actually curious.

They certainly don't dare protest in those countries as they would get shot. As far as them protesting those countries from elsewhere I have not heard of them doing so.
Essentially, people do not get shot for protesting in Middle Eastern countries. We have seen protests in Iran and other countries on the news. Big protests. People were not shot, though in Iran, many went to jail. I have seen protests in Bahrain, for example. People did not get shot or put in jail although their movement leaders have been put in jail for various lengths of time. It is really no different than it was during the civil rights movement in America.

I'm confused. A bar, a drink. Isn't this forbidden? If not, then some unintended brushing of the clothes shouldn't be prison worthy.

Certain countries I will not go to regardless, and for just such reasons. If that's the law they have on the books, well you can keep it.

There are plenty of bars in Dubai. They don't call it the Vegas of the middle east for nothing.
In the UAE, Bahrain, and other more modern ME countries, bars are in the big hotels. The basic understanding is that the hotels cater to Western tourists and can´t attract them without alcohol and bars. However, ME men often hang out in these bars and pick up prostitutes and Western women. As far as I know, there are no bars in the UAE that are not inside a big hotel. Muslims are not supposed to drink. In the UAE there are liquor stores for foreigners, non Muslims. If a Muslim wants to buy liquor from one of these stores, he (or she) asks a Western friend to buy it for him or her.

There are lots of laws and rules in these countries that seem strange to us in the West. One must keep in mind it is a different culture as well as be cognizant of the fact these countries were little more than primitive fishing and pearl diving economies with vast empty deserts until oil was discovered mid-20th century. They have progressed economically at a prodigious speed but social issues are following more slowly.

As far as the incident reported in the OP, and other similar incidents, they are never as simple as described by the OP´s article and are extremely far and few between. They get a lot of press because it gets Westerners who wish to hate the ME more riled up. Go figure. Racists like to be manipulated thusly.

I have read a lot about the Saudis and the Qatar terrorism claim. They sort of have a point, and so the Qataris. Qatar has an open policy towards almost everyone. So naturally it's a hub for passing money from the Western world (which has money) to the Middle East. Most of that money goes to non-violent, non-combatant, non-hostile countries. Of course some does, which ticks off the Saudis.

The whole Qatar World Cup is of course, bonkers. But then.... soccer has corruption literally everywhere. Corruption was the defacto mode of operation. Everything about soccer was corrupt, from fixed matches, to bribes, to international deal making. The only sport more corrupted than Soccer is Tennis.

It's not because of Oil. I don't buy that lame excuse for a claim. If you can provide actual proof, instead of empty assumptions, and endless hearsay from partisan motivated pundits, then give that proof. I'll research it.

The reason we support the Saudis, is the same exact reason we supported the Shah of Iran.

It's real simple. As screwed up and crazy as the Saudis are, just like the Shah was, it's still better than an openly and intentionally hostile government. We see right now what letting the Shah of Iran fall, has resulted. A tyrannical, openly hostile, actively terroristic, and regionally destabilizing power replaced the Shaw.

The only active trigger for a 3rd world war, outside of North Korea, is Iran.

If the Saudis fall in Arabia, I would give 50 to 1 odds that a radical hostile fanatical government would replace them, and I can almost guarantee it would spark a world war. The only reason Iran hasn't sparked a war already, is because the Saudis have pushed a non-confrontational, but containment policy regarding them.

But you replace the Saudis with a hostile radical government, and it will be war. And that war will draw in other countries, and one country that could be pulled into it, is Russia... and that would pull in the US.

You want that? No? I don't either. So as screwed up as the Saudis are, they are still better than any alternative that we can see.

Especially after we 'liberated' Libya, and the Arab spring in Egypt.... I'm not seeing that toppling dictatorships has worked well. They knock out one crazy person, and other crazy people replace them, that are worse than who was kicked out.

Do you see toppling the Saudis will have a positive effect? I don't. Be honest, is you do, tell me why, and who you think will replace them. I am actually curious.

Are you sure the Saudis are ticked off because money goes to terrorists, or are they annoyed because it goes to terrorists who aren't Saudi backed terrorists?

Can I provide proof? Well, proof is rather a hard thing to find. Evidence there's plenty of that out.

To make is short and sweet, Hugo Chavez became leader of Venezuela in 1998. By about 2001 he was making waves among OPEC members with his plan to make the cartel act like a cartel, and benefit OPEC members. The US didn't like this and helped with a coup d'etat against Chavez. Since then the US has invaded Iraq, put sanctions against Venezuela and Iran, bombed and got Gaddafi deposed. You're looking at the four (out of 12) OPEC members who basically opposed the US.

Of all US military action, those against Libya and Iraq were the strongest of their time, along with Afghanistan. I've heard people say Afghanistan was about oil pipes and stuff, but I'm not so sure.

The US didn't get involved much in Syria for a reason. It's not OPEC, it's not in the US's interested to really spend the money. What is the US going to gain financially from invading Syria? The only real threat is to the oilfields in Iraq which should be pumping out lots of oil.

Having al Qaeda, ISIS, or any other Muslim group as an enemy helps the US, especially over Iran. The US hasn't managed to get around to attacking Iran. The media has been at it for over a decade vilifying Iran for human rights abuses. Why not Saudi Arabia? Because they're friends and don't need to be attacked. The US couldn't give a rat's ass about Human Rights, so why does it constantly go after Iran? Oil. Lots of it. And OPEC oil at that.

The US supports the Saudis because the Saudis play a two faced game. They pretend to be nice to the US. They sell oil, they don't really pressure OPEC into increasing oil prices, they take the money that comes their way, they take the weapons the US provides, they feel happy at being rich, but feel annoyed at US interference.

Why would Iran be a trigger for "World War Three"? Well, the Saudis don't like Iran. Why? Religion. Iran is Shia, Saudi Arabia is Sunni. So they hate each other. The Saudis know that ass licking the US gets them support against the Shia regime in Iran.

Iraq was a major balls up because the US didn't understand the impact of a vacuum on a region whee Sunni and Shia influence is massive, and where the two would fight each other with weapons and money coming from Iran and Saudi Arabia. Or, potentially, they did know and they knew it would destabilize the region and this is what they wanted. You can't prove anything. You can present evidence of both, but there are no records of what Bush, Cheney, Bremer and the like said to each other to confirm that they were fucking idiots or playing a game calculated to get what they wanted out of it.

At no time have I spoken about toppling the Saudis. However the US goes around telling people about Human Rights, and then sucks up to the Saudis. Everyone can see the US is a fickle little bitch who is only interested in herself. The world sees this and realizes the US isn't the be trusted, and wants the US to fuck off out of their own affairs. That includes the Saudis. But the US has supported people from Stalin to Pol Pot, to the Germans, the Iranians, the Iraqis, the Japanese, one minute your enemy, the next your friends, or your friends and enemies at the same damn time.

The US is the biggest threat to global security out there. And probably the biggest liar, and with Trump in charge it's even worse.

Guess you should know these things before going to places like this

Igot two others going. Be
From what I have seen, this place is apple pie compared to that mess over there DF. And it IS a HUGE mess. Yuck. Good luck, cuz methinks yer gonna need it.
Ben's and one other. Sandman is on all three boards with me. He has bailed from here so why wait? Anyway looking forward to joining them. You know they only had 195 members left out of one million? It's a new platform NOT IPS/IPB or xenforo. It's been through beta testing so it's ready. See ya there when you get there.
Fires

A British man is facing three years in jail in Dubai after touching another man in a bar.

Jamie Harron's legal team claim he briefly made contact with the man to avoid spilling a drink on him.

The 27-year-old electrician, from Stirling, has been stuck in the UAE since July after his passport was confiscated by authorities.

He was initially locked up in Al Barsha prison for five days before being released on bail.

Since then he has reportedly been forced to spend more than £30,000 in expenses and legal fees.

The chief executive of Detained in Dubai, Radha Stirling, said: "It is quite outrageous that he has been held in the country for so long already.

"This is another example of how vulnerable tourists are to arrest and detention in Dubai and at how drawn out and disorganised legal proceedings are."

Dubai is not exactly a shithole. I suggest educating yourself.

Igot two others going. Be
From what I have seen, this place is apple pie compared to that mess over there DF. And it IS a HUGE mess. Yuck. Good luck, cuz methinks yer gonna need it.
Ben's and one other. Sandman is on all three boards with me. He has bailed from here so why wait? Anyway looking forward to joining them. You know they only had 195 members left out of one million? It's a new platform NOT IPS/IPB or xenforo. It's been through beta testing so it's ready. See ya there when you get there.
Fires
I already went..browsed around for an hour or so, then deleted my acct. (I was having trouble because that board does not recognize or accept AOL email addys).
It's too wonky and buggy for me and looks just like the original place too much. When Ben gets through with it..it will be exactly the same. Sucky. And from what I read, the ones that joined and tried it out are not too impressed either. Same song and dance of "we are working on it". Um hm. And I'm snow white.
I have usmb and another new place I hang my hat. I'm good.
I'll see ya when ya wander this way I guess.

Last edited:

From what I have seen...it looks very nice. Problem is...the location its at and the culture that runs it. I'll pass.

Sandman is on all three boards with me. He has bailed from here so why wait?
What nic was he using here??? I don't recall a sandman. And no, you don't have to say since he obviously wanted to be anon here.

Then let's send our Christian hating homo rhere for vacation.

I went anon just to check it out. Same people, same mindsets, same froo froo cliques, same bugs, same Ben, same layout.
Have fun, lol. I know you will. :D

Then let's send our Christian hating homo rhere for vacation.
What christian hating homo is that? Seems to be a few here.

I'm confused. A bar, a drink. Isn't this forbidden? If not, then some unintended brushing of the clothes shouldn't be prison worthy.

Certain countries I will not go to regardless, and for just such reasons. If that's the law they have on the books, well you can keep it.

Actually, the bars are located in the international hotels. If you go to the bar and drink, be careful when you leave the hotel, because there are cab drivers that will take you from the hotel to the police station (they get paid for bringing drunks to the police) if they think you are drunk.

Other than that? Dubai is a really neat city to go and explore, especially the souks in the old part of town. If you want to get a good deal on gold or perfume oils (the stuff that perfume is made from), you could do a lot worse than Dubai.

Besides..................some of the street food vendors over there are absolutely wonderful. Schwarma sandwiches are the bomb!

I don't give a damn about their food or their city. If you have to stay buried in your room or within limits of the resort/hotel because you might wind up in prison on the whim of a taxi driver, then they can kiss my ass. Anyone that takes the chance and goes there..well...reap what ya sow.

Forum List

Back