Who should have won the Nobel Peace Prize

ElmerMudd

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2009
Northwest
For those who are criticizing the decsion to award the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama; who do you think should have won the Nobel Peace Prize?

For those who are criticizing the decsion to award the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama; who do you think should have won the Nobel Peace Prize?

I'm not criticizing the decsion but I would like to offer the following presidents up

Bill Clinton (works with israel/palestine on peace and stopping the genocide kosovo/serbia) and Ronald Reagan (ending the cold war/berlin wall coming down)

Maybe Obama will earn it during his presidency, only time will tell.

Even Obama was surprised he received the award and admitted there were others more deserving. He did not apply for it.

Those who criticize Obama for receiving the award are just Obama haters.

It is justified to say others are more deserving but to criticize him for winning an award he did not pursue is crazy.

I feel there are probably others more deserving but it is an honor for the US to have their President awarded the prize.

Rather than having reporters throwing shoes at our President we have a prestigous international panel by honoring our President. They are showing respect for the US that has been lacking for the past 8 years.

Anybody BUT Obama. As I understand it they actually nominated several REAL people that had advanced Peace the year before.

Anyone of the other 204 nominated.

Record 205 nominees for 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

However, now that we know the Nobel Peace price can be given to someone based on what the committee thinks they are going to accomplish in the future, I suppose it could be anybody. Maybe they could even nominate all the aborted children who did not grow up to become terrorists.

The real issue on this thread is simply this -- the international community ratified the American electorate's decision last fall to thrown the bums out and repudiate the Bush years. Three words, buds: get over it.

Even Obama was surprised he received the award and admitted there were others more deserving. He did not apply for it.

Those who criticize Obama for receiving the award are just Obama haters.

It is justified to say others are more deserving but to criticize him for winning an award he did not pursue is crazy.

I feel there are probably others more deserving but it is an honor for the US to have their President awarded the prize.

Rather than having reporters throwing shoes at our President we have a prestigous international panel by honoring our President. They are showing respect for the US that has been lacking for the past 8 years.
My criticism is more toward the Nobel committee than Obama. He did nothing to deserve the award except spew flowery rhetoric about how the world should be peaceful and come together for a huge tea party.

Prestigious is not a proper adjective to apply to the Nobel committee. Pompous leftists maybe, but prestigious?

A committee of five in a leftist nation decides another leftist should be praised with their now meaningless award. Big deal. Their respect is for Marxism, not the United States.

The above is not a criticism of Obama.

Last edited:
I'm not criticizing the decsion but I would like to offer the following presidents up

Bill Clinton (works with israel/palestine on peace and stopping the genocide kosovo/serbia) and Ronald Reagan (ending the cold war/berlin wall coming down)

No offense Plymco, but if you knew anything about the Nobel Prize then you would know that the dead can't receive it.

Alfred Nobel wrote in his will that the peace prize was to be given "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies, and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

Did Pres. Obama meet the criteria?

People criticizing Obama for being picked for the Nobel Peace Prize do not even know who else had been nominated. (even though there were apparently 205 nominated)

These are people who would criticize Obama if he found the cure for cancer.

I agree that there could be others more deserving than Obama but I do not know that much about the nominees or the process.

Obama has much to do but Obama has done much to promote peace. He has started a dialog among nations to discuss many of the world's problems. The basis for peace has been set.
This is contrary to the world's greatest nation declaring to the nations of the world you are either with us or against us and stifling discussion between all nations. The results was an increase in war and hate throughout the world.

Obama has

People criticizing Obama for being picked for the Nobel Peace Prize do not even know who else had been nominated. (even though there were apparently 205 nominated)

I agree that there could be others more deserving than Obama but I do not know that much about the nominees or the process.

Obama has much to do but Obama has done much to promote peace. He has started a dialog among nations to discuss many of the world's problems. The basis for peace has been set.
This is contrary to the world's greatest nation declaring to the nations of the world you are either with us or against us and stifling discussion between all nations. The results was an increase in war and hate throughout the world.

Obama has
Consider this: Few criticize Obama for this as there is a plethora of other issues. SO many, in fact the mostly bipartisan, criticize the award.

Those who can look at the deeds of even a random handful of the other nominees and still think that Obama deserves it over them, are such doe-eyed, swooning BHO groupies that they forget an axiom that has withstood the test of time: Actions speak louder than words.

Obama has

If he had been nominated for this award next year or the year after, then I could see your point. What bothers me about this is that he was nominated no later than 12 days after beginning to serve the world community and in reality he had accomplished nothing by that time. Give him a year or so and some time for his efforts to be manifested I could see the decision.

I only hope that his efforts in regards to peace in the future are successful.

President Obama had nothing to do with his selection and quite frankly I doubt he had a damned thing to do with his nomination. It is not his fault that this happened before he had begun his work.

Immie

Last edited:

No offense Plymco, but if you knew anything about the Nobel Prize then you would know that the dead can't receive it.

No offense taken as I knew that. I was just saying that those 2 presidents earned one during their presidency's.

Don't you agree?

No offense taken as I knew that. I was just saying that those 2 presidents earned one during their presidency's.

Don't you agree?

Clinton did earn one for that, yes. However, his weekly bombing of Iraq throughout his presidency makes me question giving him one. Especially when the U.N numbers of the # of innocent dead civilians is a good amount to say the least.

So would Reagan for THAT however it would be cancelled out by several factors. Those include giving Saddam Hussein weapons in Iraq to go kill Iran and secretly giving weapons to Iran to go and kill Iraq. Oh, and giving what would become Al-Qaeda and the Taliban CIA funding, money, and weapons to fight the Soviets would definitely cancel him out. On the surface, Reagan was for peace yes. However, he did not bother to look ahead at the consequences of his actions. He may or may not helped solve the problem for one generation but helped spark the problems for future ones.

Last edited:
And add that thousands of NCOs and hundreds of officers left our armed forces because of the missiles to the contras deal. Arm our enemies who shoot the munitions at our troops and the Reaganites lie their shoes off.

God does deliver! Ronnie said, "I can't recall," and in the end he surely did not.

Don't you agree?

Clinton did earn one for that, yes. However, his weekly bombing of Iraq throughout his presidency makes me question giving him one. Especially when the U.N numbers of the # of innocent dead civilians is a good amount to say the least.

So would Reagan for THAT however it would be cancelled out by several factors. Those include giving Saddam Hussein weapons in Iraq to go kill Iran and secretly giving weapons to Iran to go and kill Iraq. Oh, and giving what would become Al-Qaeda and the Taliban CIA funding, money, and weapons to fight the Soviets would definitely cancel him out. On the surface, Reagan was for peace yes. However, he did not bother to look ahead at the consequences of his actions. He may or may not helped solve the problem for one generation but helped spark the problems for future ones.

Well said sir.

Stop hating on Obama. It's childish.

It's obvious the Nobel Prize WAS NOT given to Obama. It was given to the American people for voting dangerous right wing extremists out of office. Instead of standing up against tyranny, the US BECAME tyrants.

Torture. Kidnappings. War. Invasion. Bombs. Threats. Bullying. Those things AREN'T what America stands for.

The award was given to the US for finally ending 8 years of dangerous right wing extremism. They don't give the award to "countries", so they gave it to this country's fairly elected "leader".

Forum List

Back