Terrorist suspended from school

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
Student Suspended Over Camping ToolAOL News
posted: 1 HOUR 25 MINUTES AGOcomments: 837filed under: National News

(Oct. 12) -- Zachary Christie, 6, was happy about joining the Cub Scouts and was excited about a new camping utensil that functions as a spoon, fork and knife -- so excited that he took the tool to school to use it at lunch.
But the Newark, Del., boy's enthusiasm got him kicked out of school for violating a zero-tolerance policy on weapons, The New York Times reported.

School Suspends First-Grade Student Zachary Christie Over Camping Utensil

Oh my God, a six year old brought a pocket knife to school. Maybe they should just expell the kid for life. When are people going to wake up and demand that these zero tolerance polices be shelved?

What if he was a high school kid, and was taking it to school to stab some dude in the restroom?

I get what you're saying, a six year old just wanted to show off his cool new toy. Maybe just taking it away, having mom or dad come in and get it, and a warning would have been sufficient.

But where do you draw the line?

What if he was a high school kid, and was taking it to school to stab some dude in the restroom?

I get what you're saying, a six year old just wanted to show off his cool new toy. Maybe just taking it away, having mom or dad come in and get it, and a warning would have been sufficient.

Somewhere well short of 45 days in reform school for the six year old terrorist. Yes, there should be rules in place. The problem with zero tolerance is that a lot of good kids are being kicked out of school for the dumbest of reasons. And it doesn't prevent anything. Let's take what you said, a high school student brings a knife to school to stab another student. Do you think that a zero tolerance policy would stop that kid from bringing the knife to school if he/she was intent on stabbing some student?

The biggest problem is that some school systems will use common sense, but in other cases, such as this one, the child becomes a pariah and the reaction of school officials will likely do much more harm than good. Did you hear the one about the high school student who had his tackle box (for fishing) in the bed of his pickup truck? School officials saw the box, made him open it, and found he had a knife in it. He had been fishing the day before and forgot to remove from his truck. He was expelled for one year. That is just one example, but there are hundreds, maybe thousands more. It's becoming ridiculous.

What makes you say this kid is a terrorist? :confused:

Scratching head, confused at the inability of others to understand sarcasm. :confused: My point was that this kid is not a terrorist, nor is he or was he any threat to anyone, but he's getting kicked out of school for being a kid.

This is not surprising though as some school districts have suspended 1st and 2nd graders for playing cowboys and Indians and using their thumb and finger in the shape of a gun. This was considered threatening behavior so the kids needed to be removed from the school.

I have to say, I don't feel very comfortable leaving my kids education left to those who cannot even comprehend a true threat.

And you just proved why we have idiotic rules like these. Where do you draw the line? How about some fucking common sense? These policies are designed for one reason, because people are to fucking lazy to make decisions.

Remember the Valedictorian in Florida? She was moving out of her mom's house before the end of school and a steak knife accidentally got left on the floor board of her car. The school saw it and called the sheriff to arrest her. Fortunately for her the Sheriff was not an IDIOT and when he arrived he REFUSED to arrest her. But they expelled her just weeks before graduation.

The horror stories are endless like that. And you want to know where to draw the line? How about before the point where you dump your brain on the floor cause decisions are just so messy?

Scratching head, confused at the inability of others to understand sarcasm. :confused: My point was that this kid is not a terrorist, nor is he or was he any threat to anyone, but he's getting kicked out of school for being a kid.

This is not surprising though as some school districts have suspended 1st and 2nd graders for playing cowboys and Indians and using their thumb and finger in the shape of a gun. This was considered threatening behavior so the kids needed to be removed from the school.

I have to say, I don't feel very comfortable leaving my kids education left to those who cannot even comprehend a true threat.

:lol:

I was seeing your sarcasm and raising you one small measure of facetiousness.

I can't get the link on my bb. How long was he suspended for? If it was just a day, then its much ado about nothing.

Zero tolerance policies are dumb, but as long as that's what the board and community want, it must be enforced.

And you just proved why we have idiotic rules like these. Where do you draw the line? How about some fucking common sense? These policies are designed for one reason, because people are to fucking lazy to make decisions.

Remember the Valedictorian in Florida? She was moving out of her mom's house before the end of school and a steak knife accidentally got left on the floor board of her car. The school saw it and called the sheriff to arrest her. Fortunately for her the Sheriff was not an IDIOT and when he arrived he REFUSED to arrest her. But they expelled her just weeks before graduation.

The horror stories are endless like that. And you want to know where to draw the line? How about before the point where you dump your brain on the floor cause decisions are just so messy?

Wow, how sensible and well thought out that post was Sarge!

When was the last time you were in a high school anyway? Do you realize it's not Mayberry RFD anymore, right? Kids DO bring weapons to schools. Is that ok with you then?

Of course not every kid with a boy scout knife or a steak knife is out to kill someone, and those things should be dealt with on a case by case basis. Just like I said they should have just called the 6 year olds parents to come pick up the tool and warned him not to bring it to school again.

Think before you fly into another rage.

I guess this hits close to home for me. My 12 year old just finished a ten day suspension for bringing a laser pointer to school. In his case, I wasn't too upset, because he knew he wasn't supposed to bring it and he did anyway. What upset me is that he could have been expelled for 80 days, and we had to go through the process of a hearing concerning his expulsion. He was not expelled in the end, but there is more to the story.

He was given his homework to do while he was under suspension. He did all of it and turned it in upon returning to school. However, none of his teachers will give him credit for any of the work, so now he is failing every single class and will be lucky to get his grades up to a D before the end of the grading period. He is an A/B student, and at this point he is so upset that he doesn't care if he fails or not.

So, now I have to deal with trying to get him back into the right frame of mind to where he actually cares about school again.

:lol:

I was seeing your sarcasm and raising you one small measure of facetiousness.

Okay, you got me.

I can't get the link on my bb. How long was he suspended for? If it was just a day, then its much ado about nothing.

Zero tolerance policies are dumb, but as long as that's what the board and community want, it must be enforced.

45 Days in Reform School.

Zero tolerance policies are no different than mandatory sentencing. And IMO, they're not only unnecessary, but can actually be counter-productive.

I guess this hits close to home for me. My 12 year old just finished a ten day suspension for bringing a laser pointer to school. In his case, I wasn't too upset, because he knew he wasn't supposed to bring it and he did anyway. What upset me is that he could have been expelled for 80 days, and we had to go through the process of a hearing concerning his expulsion. He was not expelled in the end, but there is more to the story.

He was given his homework to do while he was under suspension. He did all of it and turned it in upon returning to school. However, none of his teachers will give him credit for any of the work, so now he is failing every single class and will be lucky to get his grades up to a D before the end of the grading period. He is an A/B student, and at this point he is so upset that he doesn't care if he fails or not.

So, now I have to deal with trying to get him back into the right frame of mind to where he actually cares about school again.
Wow...that's harsh. My son took a knife to school to show to his friends...his teacher told him to put it away and never bring it to school again. I loved that teacher.

A laser pointer? You mean one of those things you use during a power point presentation to point out or highlight things in the presentation? The thing the kids torment Monk with in the opening credits? Wtf??? While I understand keeping weapons out of school . . . where is the common sense? And what is the lesson they are trying to teach your son? Not to bring it in again? Ok, but the punishment does not fit the crime here; it's overkill and then some. And what was the point of having him do the school work if the teachers aren't going to give him credit? They're doing more harm than good if you ask me. Can you fight it?

My youngest informed me that she wasn't allowed to bring a plastic fork into school because it could be used as a weapon. Yes, so can a pen. And it's not like she couldn't just take a fork from the cafeteria if she wanted to use it as a weapon. Sorry, there's protecting kids and then there's common sense.

Agree with the zero tolerance policy but if 45 days reform school is the punishment for a 6 year old bringing this to school, then the rules need to be changed.

Last edited:

A laser pointer? You mean one of those things you use during a power point presentation to point out or highlight things in the presentation? The thing the kids torment Monk with in the opening credits? Wtf??? While I understand keeping weapons out of school . . . where is the common sense? And what is the lesson they are trying to teach your son? Not to bring it in again? Ok, but the punishment does not fit the crime here; it's overkill and then some. And what was the point of having him do the school work if the teachers aren't going to give him credit? They're doing more harm than good if you ask me. Can you fight it?

My youngest informed me that she wasn't allowed to bring a plastic fork into school because it could be used as a weapon. Yes, so can a pen. And it's not like she couldn't just take a fork from the cafeteria if she wanted to use it as a weapon. Sorry, there's protecting kids and then there's common sense.

Unfortunately we are seeing less and less of the common sense.

45 days is outrageous. In NJ we have to provide home instruction after 10 days and all work must be accepted when the child returns. Those parents should be able to fight it.

They shouldn't allow sharpened pencils in school.

Someone might get stabbed in the carotid.

Forum List

Back