Who really supports our Troops?

That's pretty much all the left uses them for.

And the right.

"If you don't like the war you clearly don't support the troops." Think of the troops was in danger of replacing "think of the children" as the newest mindless thing to scream at people.

"We support firefighters, but we don't support them putting out fires."

"We support the police, but we don't support them arresting criminals."

Now...do you see how silly it sounds when you say "We support the troops but not their mission"?

"You can support the troops but not the president."
---Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"Well, I just think it's a bad idea. What's going to happen is they're going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years."
---Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"
---Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

"[The] President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."
---Sen Rick Santorum (R-PA)

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."
---Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain the y have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."
---Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning . . . I didn't think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."
---Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"
-Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."
-Governor George W Bush (R-TX)
Daily Kos: Quotes from GOP About Bosnia War...

Hmm..

Now...do you see how silly it sounds when you say "We support the troops but not their mission"?

i agree.....how can you say ..."hey i support you guys ,BUT, i dont like what your doing over there and i dont support it".........so how can someone support someone doing something that you are totally against them doing it?......i never understood that logic....
especially when civilians are killed during a battle and the "supporters" are calling for the troops involved asses....Support means you stand with them even during the so called collateral damage.....

That's pretty much all the left uses them for.

And the right.

"If you don't like the war you clearly don't support the troops." Think of the troops was in danger of replacing "think of the children" as the newest mindless thing to scream at people.

A better analogy would be

"We support the police but we don't support all the laws they have to uphold."

i agree.....how can you say ..."hey i support you guys ,BUT, i dont like what your doing over there and i dont support it".........so how can someone support someone doing something that you are totally against them doing it?

Because the soldiers don't get to decide who we go to war with or when it's over, it's not that freaking complicated.

The mission was not initiated by the military, the gubment decided what the mission would be. So you can support and appreciated the troops for risking their lives everyday (overseas or local) while not supporting what the gubment sent them to do.

GOP or DNC, doesn't matter; every time I saw them out there it always felt like they (the politician) was using it as a photo op to get reelected.

i agree.....how can you say ..."hey i support you guys ,BUT, i dont like what your doing over there and i dont support it".........so how can someone support someone doing something that you are totally against them doing it?......i never understood that logic....
especially when civilians are killed during a battle and the "supporters" are calling for the troops involved asses....Support means you stand with them even during the so called collateral damage.....

The troops must accept the mission regardless of how ill-advised it may be. They must rely on the American public to speak out against wars that put our soldiers at risk for little benefit

Well hell, I guess the Democrats have tired of USING Black, Homosexuals, Hispanics, Muslims, etc etc..

NOW THEY HAVE DECIDED to use our TROOPS.

we saw how the left CARES for our troops, all during the Bush administration..and let me tell you, THINKPROGRESS was RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF all the crap that was being spewed against our troops..

Screw think progress and SPARE us all with your phony, WHO really cares more for our troops bullshit.

Last edited:
And the right.

Our Armed Forces put their lives in our hands without reservation. They trust those in power to make wise decisions on when armed conflict is required and when it is not. Putting their lives in jeopardy when it is not required is not supporting the troops
And if we left it to liberals to decide when armed conflict is required, we'd still be under the British crown.

And the right.

"You can support the troops but not the president."
---Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"Well, I just think it's a bad idea. What's going to happen is they're going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years."
---Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"
---Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

"[The] President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."
---Sen Rick Santorum (R-PA)

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."
---Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain the y have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."
---Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning . . . I didn't think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."
---Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"
-Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."
-Governor George W Bush (R-TX)
Daily Kos: Quotes from GOP About Bosnia War...

Hmm..
Is that supposed to be a "gotcha"? It failed. I oppose the right saying that nonsense just as much as I oppose the left saying it.

Indeed. And speaking as an active-duty service member, I don't feel a lot of support from the left as a whole.

There are individuals on the left who have expressed their support, and I appreciate it a great deal. But generally speaking, the left doesn't have a lot of regard for the military.

And the right.

A better analogy would be

"We support the police but we don't support all the laws they have to uphold."
How do police uphold the law?

By arresting those who break it.

The mission was not initiated by the military, the gubment decided what the mission would be. So you can support and appreciated the troops for risking their lives everyday (overseas or local) while not supporting what the gubment sent them to do.

GOP or DNC, doesn't matter; every time I saw them out there it always felt like they (the politician) was using it as a photo op to get reelected.
Firefighters don't set fires. Cops don't make the laws they arrest people for breaking.

Our Armed Forces put their lives in our hands without reservation. They trust those in power to make wise decisions on when armed conflict is required and when it is not. Putting their lives in jeopardy when it is not required is not supporting the troops
And if we left it to liberals to decide when armed conflict is required, we'd still be under the British crown.

The American Patriots were as liberal as they came. The idea that all men are created equal is as liberal as there was during that timeframe. The loyalist Torries who were as conservative as there was were loyal to the crown

FDR was the most liberal president in our history. He fought off the isolationist conservatives of the day to position the country for war. FDR and Truman won the largest war we were ever involved in

The American Patriots were as liberal as they came. The idea that all men are created equal is as liberal as there was during that timeframe. The loyalist Torries who were as conservative as there was were loyal to the crown

FDR was the most liberal president in our history. He fought off the isolationist conservatives of the day to position the country for war. FDR and Truman won the largest war we were ever involved in
Yes, the Founding Fathers were liberals. No, liberals today are not the same kind of liberals they were. Far from it.

Don't pretend otherwise.

Yes, the Founding Fathers were liberals. No, liberals today are not the same kind of liberals they were. Far from it.

Don't pretend otherwise.

If the founding fathers were not liberals...what would you call the Torries who were loyal to the King?

Liberalism relates to the desire to look at things as they are and evolve them to a changing environment. Conservatives seek to retain the current structure. Neither position remains static over time.

Don't pretend otherwise.

If the founding fathers were not liberals...what would you call the Torries who were loyal to the King?

Liberalism relates to the desire to look at things as they are and evolve them to a changing environment. Conservatives seek to retain the current structure. Neither position remains static over time.
Liberals today don't value individual liberties. They place greater importance on government control over individual lives. This is what the Founding Fathers opposed.

If you were alive back then, you would have informed on the revolutionaries.

Any politician that acts as nothing more than a rubber stamp for any interest group does not have the discernment to be in public office. Good bye, Chet Edwards.

i agree.....how can you say ..."hey i support you guys ,BUT, i dont like what your doing over there and i dont support it".........so how can someone support someone doing something that you are totally against them doing it?

Because the soldiers don't get to decide who we go to war with or when it's over, it's not that freaking complicated.

then you support their efforts 100%....not until civilians are killed and then all of a sudden your against them,which has happened before.....its not that fucking complicated....

Don't pretend otherwise.

Liberals today don't value individual liberties. They place greater importance on government control over individual lives. This is what the Founding Fathers opposed.

If you were alive back then, you would have informed on the revolutionaries.

Bull Shit....You listen to Rush Limbaugh too much

Who was it that fought for womens rights? Civil rights? Gay rights? Liberals are the ones who have fought for the rights of the individual throughout our history.

Conservatives have fought for the rights of corporations to infringe on our individual liberties.

Forum List

Back