Who makes the best chili here?

My three bean, three meat chili is top shelf.

I currently live in Texas where adding beans to chili is a hanging offense, so unfortunately, I have to keep the recipe secret as well as my whereabouts.

For those of you outside of Texas, try experimenting with your three favorite beans and spices and explore how three of your favorite meats add to the overall taste. After a couple of years of experimenting, you'll arrive at a killer mix.

Please don't turn me in to the Texas Chili Police. At a cocktail party recently, a neighbor of mine was overheard commenting how the Texas prohibition of beans in chili should be openly debated in pubic.

I didn't end well for him.

bittercreek_hanging_ambrotype.jpg

Whichever kind you wouldn't mind sharing. I want to make it for my boyfriend. Lately, I have been in a cooking phase which he has appreciated. Normally he is the cook.

2 lbs – Ground Venison (or lean ground beef 92/8%)
2 lbs – Venison Backstrap (or trimmed top sirloin) in ½ inch cubes
1 lbs – Dried pinto beans (soaked overnight and prepared per package directions)
2 – 16 oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 – 10 oz can Ro Tel “Chili Fixins” tomatoes and green chilies

5 to 6 – Large jalapeno peppers finely chopped (or sliced)
2 to 3 – Cloves fresh garlic minced
1 – Large purple onion finely chopped
1 – Package/Bunch green onion chopped or thinly sliced
2 – Bell peppers finely chopped

6 tbs – Chili powder
3 tbs – Ground oregano
2 tbs – Ground Paprika
2 tbs – Ground Sea Salt
2 tbs – Ground Cumin
2 tbs – Fresh cracked black pepper
1 tbs – Cayenne Pepper (2 tbs if you want it hotter)

3 tbs – Extra virgin olive oil

Warm olive oil in large stock pot, raise heat and toss in onions, garlic, bell peppers and jalapenos. Stir rapidly until soft. Add ground meat and brown, then add cubed meat and brown. At medium heat add diced and Ro Tel tomatoes. Add 2 empty Ro Tel cans of water and prepared pinto beans. Bring to slow boil.

Add all other spices and stir in well … Bring to boil again. Lower heat to simmer, cover and allow to cook 2-3 hours stirring occasionally. Remove cover and allow to cook an additional 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Serve topped with shredded Mexican four cheese blend cheese (Kraft) or shredded cheddar cheese.

Leftovers can be frozen, thawed and heated for a quick meal at any later date.

I've been told my chili is pretty awesome. The key I've found is I put in both large pieces and finely chopped pieces of mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and jalapeños. I also put in minced garlic. I prefer my chili to have beans and ground chuck.

Whichever kind you wouldn't mind sharing. I want to make it for my boyfriend. Lately, I have been in a cooking phase which he has appreciated. Normally he is the cook.

1 lbs – Dried pinto beans (soaked overnight and prepared per package directions)

6 tbs – Chili powder
3 tbs – Ground oregano
2 tbs – Ground Paprika
2 tbs – Ground Sea Salt
2 tbs – Ground Cumin

Warm olive oil in large stock pot, raise heat and toss in onions, garlic, bell peppers and jalapenos. Stir rapidly until soft. Add ground meat and brown, then add cubed meat and brown. At medium heat add diced and Ro Tel tomatoes. Add 2 empty Ro Tel cans of water and prepared pinto beans. Bring to slow boil.

Add all other spices and stir in well … Bring to boil again. Lower heat to simmer, cover and allow to cook 2-3 hours stirring occasionally. Remove cover and allow to cook an additional 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Serve topped with shredded Mexican four cheese blend cheese (Kraft) or shredded cheddar cheese.

I'll report back how it turned out, thank you.

So, you know the classic debate topic re: chili, right? Beans or no beans.

I tend to prefer eating chili with beans for its nutrient value and for the added texture beans add, but I prefer to make very meaty chili without beans so that I use it as a sauce over pasta or rice or rice and beans.

6 tbs – Chili powder
3 tbs – Ground oregano
2 tbs – Ground Paprika
2 tbs – Ground Sea Salt
2 tbs – Ground Cumin

Quite a bit of heat there. Which reminds Me of an oldie, but a goodie.

“Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge’s table, asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in… I was assured by the other two judges (Native New Mexicans) that the chili wouldn’t be all that spicy; and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted and became Judge 3.”

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:

ADVERTISEMENT
CHILI # 1 – MIKE’S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI
Judge # 1 — A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 — Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge # 3 (Frank) — Holy crap, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that’s the worst one. These New Mexicans are crazy.

CHILI # 2 – EL RANCHO’S AFTERBURNER CHILI
Judge # 1 — Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
Judge # 2 — Exciting BBQflavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge # 3 — Keep this out of the reach of children. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3 – ALFREDO’S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI
Judge # 1 — Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
Judge # 2 — A bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge # 3 — Call the EPA. I’ve located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I’m getting red-faced from all of the beer.

CHILI # 4=2 0- BUBBA’S BLACK MAGIC
Judge # 1 — Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge # 2 — Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
Judge # 3 — I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. This 300 lb. Woman is starting to look HOT … Just like this nuclear waste I’m eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?

CHILI # 5 – LISA’S LEGAL LIP REMOVER
Judge # 1 — Meaty, strong chili. Jalapeno peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 — Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the jalapeno peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 — My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted, and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I’m burning my lips off. It really ticks me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming.

CHILI # 6 – VARGA’S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY
Judge # 1 — Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.
Judge # 2 — The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, garlic. Superb.
Judge # 3 — My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I crapped on myself when I farted, and I’m worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can’t feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.

CHILI # 7 – SUSAN’S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI
Judge # 1 — A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge # 2 — Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
Judge # 3 — You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ve lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing. It’s too painful. I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I’ll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8 – BIG TOM’S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI
Judge # 1 — The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 — This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he’d have reacted to really hot chili?
Judge # 3 — No report.

taken from Man Get’s Selected To Be A Judge At A Chili Cook-Off. This Is Hilarious.

Me!

iu

2 lbs ground beef, 1 lb hot pork sausage

4 um..double-size can of beans, 2 pinto, 2 kidney

1/2 green pepper, diced

1/2 onion, diced

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 whole tomato chopped or 1 double can stewed tomatoes

Brown meat n onions n peppers together, drain.

Put in in pot with all other stuff and water to fill it out.

Add chili powder, (several rounds with big shaker)

If you like hot, add some little peppers.

Cook for about 1 hr.

Done.

This is a big pot of stuff.

I'm a big pot cooker.

Me!

iu

1/2 green pepper, diced

1/2 onion, diced

Cook for about 1 hr.

Done.

I'm a big pot cooker.

A big pot cooker? So you put weed in your chili? Wouldn't that make you eat the whole batch yourself?

Me!

iu

1/2 green pepper, diced

1/2 onion, diced

Cook for about 1 hr.

Done.

I'm a big pot cooker.

A big pot cooker? So you put weed in your chili? Wouldn't that make you eat the whole batch yourself?
I usually do, cuz once them lil peppers get cooked in, nobody will eat it except me and the neighbor, and really he don't like it as hot as I do.

My grandma would, but she's not around.

I have several chili recipes, depending on my audience. I use both ground meat (whatever is available: moose, caribou, dall sheep, bear, goat, etc.) and stewed, shredded meat. Heat depends on whether my guests suffer heartburn, or not. Give me some hints...

That "depends on this or that" factor for me too plays a huge role. When I visit my family down South, there is always some sort of wild game around, so I'll use what's there. That results in my kin eating a meat they eat "all the time" but prepared differently from what they might do with it. At home, it depends on what I have a taste for (and what the butcher has on hand) on the day I plan that/decide I will make a batch of chili.

I haven't tried some of the ungulates you have. I may "get a wild hair up my ass" and give elk or moose a try...that is if I think about doing so with enough advance time to order it. An "exotic" butcher in D.C. may have them, but I wouldn't bet on it. Usually when I want chili, I intend to be eating it a few hours later, not a day or two later. LOL
Some of the people who might indulge themselves have problems eating spicy food. I like my chili pretty spicy, so when the "audience" is amenable, spicy is presented. Chili is also one of the dishes that improves with age. A couple of days infuses the spices and makes the chili tastier than a fresh batch. Do you prefer ground meat or shredded meat for your chili?

I have several chili recipes, depending on my audience. I use both ground meat (whatever is available: moose, caribou, dall sheep, bear, goat, etc.) and stewed, shredded meat. Heat depends on whether my guests suffer heartburn, or not. Give me some hints...

That "depends on this or that" factor for me too plays a huge role. When I visit my family down South, there is always some sort of wild game around, so I'll use what's there. That results in my kin eating a meat they eat "all the time" but prepared differently from what they might do with it. At home, it depends on what I have a taste for (and what the butcher has on hand) on the day I plan that/decide I will make a batch of chili.

I haven't tried some of the ungulates you have. I may "get a wild hair up my ass" and give elk or moose a try...that is if I think about doing so with enough advance time to order it. An "exotic" butcher in D.C. may have them, but I wouldn't bet on it. Usually when I want chili, I intend to be eating it a few hours later, not a day or two later. LOL
Some of the people who might indulge themselves have problems eating spicy food. I like my chili pretty spicy, so when the "audience" is amenable, spicy is presented. Chili is also one of the dishes that improves with age. A couple of days infuses the spices and makes the chili tastier than a fresh batch. Do you prefer ground meat or shredded meat for your chili?
Some of the people who might indulge themselves have problems eating spicy food. I like my chili pretty spicy, so when the "audience" is amenable, spicy is presented.

For better or worse, when I have guests for a meal, if they can't/won't eat what I'm eating, I'm fine with offering them alternative and equally delectable dishes, but I only cook things the way I like them prepared. To me, a major point of cooking for others is to share a bit of oneself with them. They can cook the dish their way when I eat at their place, or if they happen to be cooking at mine.

Occasionally, someone will ask that I add/do "such and such" to the dish, and I'll do that if they ask in time and I don't think their request will ruin the dish. The most common thing like that is folks asking for well done steaks or wanting mixed drinks with double the booze the recipe calls for. I'll do that because I can and I don't have to eat/drink the damn thing. I'll sometimes make omelettes or pancakes to-order too. The heat in my chili, however, is not one of the things I'm going to flex because someone can't take the heat. (My chili isn't "vindaloo" hot, thus requiring that one'll need a quart of milk to stop the burn, but it's hot enough that one knows one had a spicy dish.)

Chili is also one of the dishes that improves with age. A couple of days infuses the spices and makes the chili tastier than a fresh batch.

Oh, most certainly.

Do you prefer ground meat or shredded meat for your chili?

I prefer ground meat, but I don't have any compunction about using shredded if that's what on hand. Plenty of times, especially after holiday meals, I have leftover roasts and such -- part of leg of lamb, some beef, the remains of a sucking pig, etc. When that's the case, that meat, if it is the meat that ends up as my chili meat, is gonna be shredded. If the meat that's to go in my chili is raw when I start cooking, it'll be ground..

Pfft ... I live in Louisiana and ice cream can be spicy here.

I am guessing that anyone who knows their way around a kitchen is familiar with the things that make a dish 'spicy hot'.
If you are looking a recipe and wonder whether it is going to be too spicy hot ... Then adjust or eliminate the spicy hot things you put in it.

For drifter ...

If you don't want the recipe I gave you to be spicy hot ... The jalapenos and cayenne pepper make it spicy hot.
The Ro Tel tomatoes will make it a little hot ... But not a problem unless you are a complete wuss ... :p

Last edited:
I make chili with chicken....yes chicken. I don't want anything t interfere with the sauce, and with chili - the sauce is everything.

1 lb. Chicken Tenders, sliced in 1/4" thin - 1" chunks. (YES chicken!!! Trust me)
1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
4-5 Roma tomatoes diced and all of the juices
1 clove garlic, that's right - garlic
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
1/2 teaspoon ginger....yes ginger
Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown the chicken, take out of pot...sweat the onions till clear, then put in the garlic till starting to brown...add all ingredients and slow boil for 30-40 minutes.
Everybody loves this chili. I have made it for many

P.S.> Depending on how acidic the tomatoes are - I sometimes put in a pinch or two of sugar at the end to lose the acidic "wang"

I make chili with chicken....yes chicken. I don't want anything t interfere with the sauce, and with chili - the sauce is everything.

1 lb. Chicken Tenders, sliced in 1/4" thin - 1" chunks. (YES chicken!!! Trust me)
1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
4-5 Roma tomatoes diced and all of the juices
1 clove garlic, that's right - garlic
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
1/2 teaspoon ginger....yes ginger
Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown the chicken, take out of pot...sweat the onions till clear, then put in the garlic till starting to brown...add all ingredients and slow boil for 30-40 minutes.
Everybody loves this chili. I have made it for many

P.S.> Depending on how acidic the tomatoes are - I sometimes put in a pinch or two of sugar at the end to lose the acidic "wang"

1 can of black beans?

Add a lil saffron rice and it's Arroz con Pollo.

Some of the people who might indulge themselves have problems eating spicy food. I like my chili pretty spicy, so when the "audience" is amenable, spicy is presented.

For better or worse, when I have guests for a meal, if they can't/won't eat what I'm eating, I'm fine with offering them alternative and equally delectable dishes, but I only cook things the way I like them prepared. To me, a major point of cooking for others is to share a bit of oneself with them. They can cook the dish their way when I eat at their place, or if they happen to be cooking at mine.

Occasionally, someone will ask that I add/do "such and such" to the dish, and I'll do that if they ask in time and I don't think their request will ruin the dish. The most common thing like that is folks asking for well done steaks or wanting mixed drinks with double the booze the recipe calls for. I'll do that because I can and I don't have to eat/drink the damn thing. I'll sometimes make omelettes or pancakes to-order too. The heat in my chili, however, is not one of the things I'm going to flex because someone can't take the heat. (My chili isn't "vindaloo" hot, thus requiring that one'll need a quart of milk to stop the burn, but it's hot enough that one knows one had a spicy dish.)

Chili is also one of the dishes that improves with age. A couple of days infuses the spices and makes the chili tastier than a fresh batch.

Oh, most certainly.

I prefer ground meat, but I don't have any compunction about using shredded if that's what on hand. Plenty of times, especially after holiday meals, I have leftover roasts and such -- part of leg of lamb, some beef, the remains of a sucking pig, etc. When that's the case, that meat, if it is the meat that ends up as my chili meat, is gonna be shredded. If the meat that's to go in my chili is raw when I start cooking, it'll be ground..
I usually prepare meals the way I like, but I may accommodate other tastes when possible. When I make paella or zarzuela, I'll take out a portion with only the chicken before I add seafood because my buddy's GF won't eat seafood. No skin off my butt and it means more goodies for those of use whose pallets are not seized in juvenile tastes. Tonight, the GF is gone and it's my night to cook. We're having clams Alfredo! Woo-hoo!!! Mostly, I'll tone down the heat in my chili, we can always add heat later.

This Friday teal season starts ... So that means fresh waterfowl.
Although teal isn't that great in chili ... They make an awesome gumbo.

I buy supermarket chili and then douse it with melted cheese to put on potato-roll bunned hot dogs.

Oh, most certainly.

I usually prepare meals the way I like, but I may accommodate other tastes when possible. When I make paella or zarzuela, I'll take out a portion with only the chicken before I add seafood because my buddy's GF won't eat seafood. No skin off my butt and it means more goodies for those of use whose pallets are not seized in juvenile tastes. Tonight, the GF is gone and it's my night to cook. We're having clams Alfredo! Woo-hoo!!! Mostly, I'll tone down the heat in my chili, we can always add heat later.
I'll take out a portion with only the chicken before I add seafood because my buddy's GF won't eat seafood.

That aligns with my remark about "offering them alternative and equally delectable dishes."

Anecdote:
A couple summers back, my youngest son and his buddy asked if I'd teach them how to prepare a few things. I agreed and met the two of them at the boy's home.

I'd decided beforehand that I'd teach them techniques more so that explicit recipes. One of the skills was caramelization, and onions were the vehicle for that skill because onions are tasty at a variety of cooking points along the way from sweating to caramelizing and they are a good foil for illustrating the differences of sauteing with or without a lid and those of adding additional ingredients -- meats or veggies -- along the way.

What we ended up with was caramelized onions that were used to make French onion soup, a stand-alone caramelized onion with bell pepper and bacon side, a sauteed onion garnish for the protein, and boiled onions added to a slowly simmered pot of turnip, collard, mustard greens, Swiss chard, and poke salad greens gathered from the boy's backyard.

The boy's father arrived home just as we were plating and remarked on how good everything smelled. , He had no idea the day was to be "culinary school" in his kitchen, and had come home expecting to prepare something to eat. was quite optimistic about the meal. Naturally, he sat down and joined us for dinner.

Well, it turns out he detests onions, at least when they're blatantly obvious as onions. LOL I felt somewhat chagrined, but only because as it wasn't my kitchen, and I had no license to just "take over" his cupboards and fridge and whip up an onion-free veggie dish of some sort, which is what I'd have done in my own kitchen. I offered to do so, but he was too kind to let me. He made do with the pork roast and risotto we'd prepared, and ate around the onions in the greens.​

Forum List

Back