Mac-n-Cheese; not out of the box ...

Stryder50

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2021
Lynden, WA, USA
While many will reach for the "box" version, often as a side dish, here's something to consider as either an enhanced Side or maybe a Main.

To start, skip the box!
We're going from "scratch" here. Also, there are a few variations available. And the following can be adjusted from Side to Main dish.

I'll break this out into a few main focus items for the Recipe(s). Note I consider recipes to be guideline/outline to be adjusted per ingredients available, taste preferences desired, side or main dish use, and other factors/variables in making the dish.

In the following posts, I'll break out the "recipe" ideas into: Noodles, Cheese/Sauce, Meat/Supplements, and Spices/Seasonings.

Noodles

Most are familiar with the curved, elbow, tubular noodles, classic "macaroni noodles". Also worth consideration are the straight tubular, rotinini; or my preference the spiral~fusilli pasta noodles. One could consider the long, stringy spaghetti or similar 'hair' noodles, but I'll wait until I've had a chance to use these before giving an opinion. Also there are the 'shell' shaped, but I tend to consider these best for a seafood meat/flavor based 'mac-n-cheeze'.

For now, my main preference is the fusilli/spiral style since they tend to hold more sauce in the contour and provide more texture.

Base amount of noodles on size of baking dish to be used. Usually from one pound to one and a half pound (one to one and 1/2 bag).

I start by cooking the noodles in about equal part of water since the water pulls starch out of the noddles and this is useful for making a sauce in later use. Once the water comes to boil, reduce heat and add noodles letting simmer for about 8-10 minutes while constantly stirring until noodles have absorbed most of the water and are 'al dente'.

The drain reserving the 'water'.

In a glass baking dish, such as an @ 9" by 15" by about 1-1 1/2" deep, pre-greased or coated with no-stick spray, spread the noodles in an even layer.

Place the cooking 'water' - it will likely look a bit milky white, and semi-thick - into a sauce pan, add a splash or two of whole milk, and bring to a quick boil, then reduce to simmer. Drizzle this thick fluid over the noodles in the baking dish. It will be the basis for the cheese sauce of you recipe.

Spread a 'first' layer of shredded cheese over these noodles. Your choice if you want to stir/mix all into an blended mix about the cooking dish or just leave as a rough blend.

Next is adding your choice of meats, fish, mushrooms,and/or mix of such. See next post.

Likely continued later as I need to run some errands at the moment.

Cheese

Best flavor comes from using three or more types of cheese. Flavors/tastes you like of course and ones that blend well. Also, using block cheese that you shred yourself will allow for more variety that pre-shredded not to mention better tastes.

In the version I made last night for the kids and grand-kids here for an early Holiday dinner, I started with two cheddars. One a sharp orange, the other an extra sharp white. Than added a couple different types of parmigiana, hard(block) that needed grating. Also added some blue cheese, two types including a Stilton.

Since I was doing about a pound and a half of noodles, going into a baking dish about 9" x 15" size, that was about three cups of the cheddars, one and a half each of the parama and the blues.

Others that could work are Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, and Ricotta.

Further details when I get tot he post on 'assembly' and baking.

Bedtime, so will get to the rest of the recipe/process tomorrow. (Meats, assembly, and bake)

When it comes to macaroni and cheese, this is what I miss the most.

5d6830fc43b9578288d2a56ad7dddfac.jpg

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. For real though, that stuff was my entire childhood. If I could've eaten it for breakfast, I would've. :) :) :)

My kids like Kraft..but I always add more cheese. Sharp cheddar, cream cheese, parm, mozzarella, whatever. Yup to multiple types if you have them.

After the matter of noodles* and cheeses, comes "MEAT" (critter flesh). This is what elevates from a toothsome side to potential main course.

To start, there are the basics of beef, pork(bacon), chicken/turkey, lamb, bison~beefalo, (game) - etc. This could be chopped/diced 'steak', or pre-cooked ground, and/or a mix such as chicken with turkey. (while on fowl, don't forget possible use of game such as duck, goose, etc.).

My choice for the last two batches for Holidaze dinners with kids/grandkids was to make a split batch. One half had beef kielbasa sausages ('tube steak'), two, sliced length wise into quarters/four strips, then diced into @1/4"-3/8" pieces; then two Andouille sausages sliced/diced in similar style. (I sprinkled some paprika(smoked) and red pepper flakes over the 'spicy' half after final layers of other ingredients: noodles(?), cheese. spices, toppings) to make it easier to distinguish spicy side from 'normal' side.)

Another option to consider is seafood ~ FISH.

First that might come to many minds is Tuna ~ especially canned, which leads to a variation of tuna casserole, often with crushed potato chips or similar spread over the top. Nothing wrong there, if it hits your taste preference. There are some other options though.

Consider shrimp, such as the small (@1") bay-cocktail pre-cooked shrimps; also crab chunks, either real or fake=surimi; along with the andouille for a Cajun version of mac-n-cheese. One could include white fish like cod or halibut for bulk of meat if inclined. Smoked oysters and/or clams could be another option but I haven't tried such yet because of the strong tastes they have. Finely minced anchovies would work for added umami tastes. Lobster, calamari/squid/octopus, mussels might be other considerations. (Another exotic might be something like pickled herring, or other unique type, but leave that for a later post.)

(My preference is for the Cajun style using andouille, shrimp, and crab/surimi, and a few minced anchovies.)

Mushrooms can be another option, either on their own and/or using assorted types &/or along with other meat or fish.

At this point, it's a matter of tastes and willingness to explore. I've not worked some of the more exotic options, yet; but will get back later when I do.

Main point is that going beyond just noodles and cheese is how to take this dish to another level.

Last edited:
Spices - Seasonings - Enhancements

In the spices category to consider would be items such as ground or flake garlic and/or onion. (Or minced fresh instead of dried) Also Italian Seasoning could add flavor boost. Maybe parsley, basil, or oregano would suit your tastes. One might consider items such as turmeric, curry, or five spice if wanting to go for a more exotic direction.

Diced bell pepper or mini-pepper could be a choice for both added flavor (punch) and color. Diced peppers of several colors such as green, yellow, orange, and red could give a festive as well as varied taste and crunch.

Olives, sliced, black and/or green would be another option to consider.

Other plant ~ vegetable ingredients might also work for you.

Main point here in this thread and the above posts is that there a variety of ways to take Mac-n-Cheese to levels beyond the basic "out of the box" bland side dish to something more flavorful and tasty, maybe even to main course.

My wife has some food sensitivities which include wheat, so we tend to use rice based noodles for many dishes. So happens that Trader Joe's and Kroger/Fred Meyer offer many rice based basics such as rotini (basic tube), elbow, fusilli (spiral), spaghetti, and lasagna. So we are able to adjust/adapt 'basic' recipes to fit her taste needs.

To summarize; this is a recipe where the mac-n-cheese is a baked dish for completion.

Start with cooking your noodles to an Al-dente (or just shy) level. Use just enough water to barely cover the noodles and save the drain off fluid.

Spread the drained noodles* evenly into a greased/no-stick sprayed baking dish (glass preferred). Drizzle about a cup or two of the drained cooking water (milky fluid) over the noodles (to help make a base for the cheese sauce). If any left, store that fluid in the fridge for up to a few days and use in making rice or as a thickener for chili or other pasta sauces, etc.)

Sprinkle an even layer of mixed/assorted cheeses over the noodles. Could stir the noodles and cooking water if want to, but okay to leave as is.

Sprinkle your MEAT or fish and/or mushrooms, diced peppers, etc. evenly over the noodles.

Sprinkle any spices/seasonings you want to add.

Add the last layer of remaining cheeses.

Cover with bread crumbs, panko, crushed potato chips, or any similar final layer you want.

Place in pre-heated oven at 350-375 degree F. Let bake about 10-15 minutes until golden browned to your desired level. Let rest about 10-15 minutes after pulling from oven so the cheese will set and the dish is 'solid' for slicing/scooping.

* if you have extra noodles beyond doing about an inch thick first layer, spread the rest after doing the meat/fish/added ingredients and reserve some of the remaining cheese to cover those noodles after using other amount of cheese to cover the met/fish/added ingredient layer.

Forum List

Back