CDZ Who is paid to protest?

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
In recent U.S. history, for as long as there've been protests, there have been some people who are indeed paid to be there. I've even met a small handful of people who are paid to attend protests.

Who are those people? They are the protest organizers who are regular employees of an advocacy organization, or contracted event planners such an organization engaged to manage the protest event and it's related activities and needs. Along with attending the protest, these people are paid to do things such as the following:
  • Coordinate security
  • Obtain permits
  • Garner and deploy publicity (external)
  • Coordinate communications leading up to and during the event (internal)
  • Obtain protest facilities like stages, signs, port-a-potties, speakers, lights, microphones, etc.
  • Obtain protest "stuff" -- hats, pins, t-shirts, pennants and banners, etc.
  • Engage keynote speakers
  • Draft and/or write speeches, perhaps delivering one as well
  • Negotiate accommodations and transportation discounts and/or obtain transportation for "the masses" and that advocacy group pays for without being remunerated
How large need be a protest for there to be people paid to the sorts of things noted above? A protest having more than about 50 expected attendees will require most, if not all, of those activities, and from a management standpoint, it takes just as many people to do them for a 200 person protest as it does for a 200K person protest.

Of late, I've seen a fair amount about paid protesters. That catchy alliteration is generally used with reference to the throngs of people who show up at the protest to lend only their voice to the cause. I haven't seen anything -- other than unfounded assertions -- indicating that any advocacy groups -- conservative or liberal -- pay masses of people to waste their day protesting because they're being paid to do so. I haven't seen or heard of any protesters saying something to the effect of, "I don't really believe in this cause, but they paid me to be among the masses here, so here I am shouting and hollering." I haven't found any advocacy group that attests to paying "the masses" to attend their events. I also haven't come by any advocacy group that pays individuals to protest at smaller events like town hall meetings and political rallies. Indeed, the closest I've come by to any of that is the jocularly satirical column Rex Huppke mockingly wrote for the Chicago Tribune.

I've read about the organization DemandProtest.com and seen allegations that they pay people to protest. Be that as it may, according to publicly available WhoIs information, although demandprotest.com attracted virtually no attention until January 2017, the domain name didn't exist prior to December 2016. December 2016 is not when allegations of paid protesters began. Moreover, even the conspiracy theory promoting site Infowars doubts the credibly of claims about DemandProtest.com paying protesters saying, "It’s unclear if the DemandProtest.com website is actually legitimate."

Now people can and will make claims of all sorts, but they need to be backed up with incontrovertible (or at least logically sound) evidence. Merely making a claim doesn't make it so. And worst of all, among the most vocal folks advancing this notion of paid masses protesting is the "Conspiracy Theorist and Prevaricator in Chief," Donald Trump.

I don't really care much about people who are out there protesting something, that's their right under our constitution and I can't see that it matters which side they're on or whether they're being paid or not. What I do care about are those who show up somewhere to start trouble and cause violence, people get hurt and property is destroyed and THAT is not covered under the 1st Amendment. And again, it doesn't really matter much if they're being paid or not except that if somebody is paying people money to commit a crime that makes them an accessory and should be prosecuted for what goes down.

I don't really care much about people who are out there protesting something, that's their right under our constitution and I can't see that it matters which side they're on or whether they're being paid or not. What I do care about are those who show up somewhere to start trouble and cause violence, people get hurt and property is destroyed and THAT is not covered under the 1st Amendment. And again, it doesn't really matter much if they're being paid or not except that if somebody is paying people money to commit a crime that makes them an accessory and should be prosecuted for what goes down.

I don't care about the protesters either, and I agree with your "accessory" point.

The protesters have a very small primary target audience: the legislators and government executives who are able to enact policy that aligns and accords with the protesters' requests. I suppose there may be a secondary goal of creating/expanding awareness of a matter, but in many instances, by the time a protest is large enough to have thousands of people protesting, the core topic is at least known of by most, even if most don't fully understand the matter, its impacts and implications. ("Many" because I know that until the "Gay March on Washington," I didn't well understand the nature and impact of the AIDS epidemic. That many people flooding into D.C. did inspire me bother to find out a lot more about it.)

In recent U.S. history, for as long as there've been protests, there have been some people who are indeed paid to be there. I've even met a small handful of people who are paid to attend protests.

Who are those people? They are the protest organizers who are regular employees of an advocacy organization, or contracted event planners such an organization engaged to manage the protest event and it's related activities and needs. Along with attending the protest, these people are paid to do things such as the following:
  • Coordinate security
  • Obtain permits
  • Obtain protest facilities like stages, signs, port-a-potties, speakers, lights, microphones, etc.
  • Negotiate accommodations and transportation discounts and/or obtain transportation for "the masses" and that advocacy group pays for without being remunerated
How large need be a protest for there to be people paid to the sorts of things noted above? A protest having more than about 50 expected attendees will require most, if not all, of those activities, and from a management standpoint, it takes just as many people to do them for a 200 person protest as it does for a 200K person protest.

Of late, I've seen a fair amount about paid protesters. That catchy alliteration is generally used with reference to the throngs of people who show up at the protest to lend only their voice to the cause. I haven't seen anything -- other than unfounded assertions -- indicating that any advocacy groups -- conservative or liberal -- pay masses of people to waste their day protesting because they're being paid to do so. I haven't seen or heard of any protesters saying something to the effect of, "I don't really believe in this cause, but they paid me to be among the masses here, so here I am shouting and hollering." I haven't found any advocacy group that attests to paying "the masses" to attend their events. I also haven't come by any advocacy group that pays individuals to protest at smaller events like town hall meetings and political rallies. Indeed, the closest I've come by to any of that is the jocularly satirical column Rex Huppke mockingly wrote for the Chicago Tribune.

I've read about the organization DemandProtest.com and seen allegations that they pay people to protest. Be that as it may, according to publicly available WhoIs information, although demandprotest.com attracted virtually no attention until January 2017, the domain name didn't exist prior to December 2016. December 2016 is not when allegations of paid protesters began. Moreover, even the conspiracy theory promoting site Infowars doubts the credibly of claims about DemandProtest.com paying protesters saying, "It’s unclear if the DemandProtest.com website is actually legitimate."

Now people can and will make claims of all sorts, but they need to be backed up with incontrovertible (or at least logically sound) evidence. Merely making a claim doesn't make it so. And worst of all, among the most vocal folks advancing this notion of paid masses protesting is the "Conspiracy Theorist and Prevaricator in Chief," Donald Trump.

It's some kind of "water people".

They have the infrastructure and the buildings and vans already in place.

They were running Craigslist ads shortly after the election.

• Coordinate security
  • Obtain permits

It's some kind of "water people".

They have the infrastructure and the buildings and vans already in place.

They were running Craigslist ads shortly after the election.

I missed these and I live a few miles from Ferguson where the local media really talked up outside trouble makers a few years back.

Outside in the St Louis region means two miles away because that is two "cities" away (we have 90 cities in St Louis County and St Louis City isn't even one of them. Still on Twitter I was and still do follow a couple people who are minor political celebrities of a sort and those folks HAVE turned going to protests into sorta a gig.

Now I'm not saying the ads don't exist. Heck, gimme a cause I support and the chance to take a vacation day from work AND get paid to protest and I just might be there, if the weather is nice.

If you or anyone comes upon these ads do a screen shot and give a link or something please.

Any paid protester ads out there right now? I have a week of vacation coming up and a double dip sounds nice.

Forum List

Back