Who is on Welfare?

Viktor

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2013
Southern California
Who is on Welfare? What are the demographics? - Democratic Underground

When people use the term"welfare", they usually mean the TANF program.

Statistics show that 31.9% of TANF recepients are white, 31.8% are Black and 30% are Hispanic.

Statistics show that 31.9% of TANF recepients are white, 31.8% are Black and 30% are Hispanic.

How about a more current version?
Research Date: 9.10.2013
Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

Welfare Statistics
Total number of Americans on welfare 12,800,000
Percent of the US population on welfare 4.1 %
Total government spending on welfare annually (not including food stamps or unemployment) $131.9 billion

Welfare Demographics
Percent of recipients who are white 38.8 %
Percent of recipients who are black 39.8 %
Percent of recipients who are Hispanic 15.7 %
Percent of recipients who are Asian 2.4 %
Percent of recipients who are Other 3.3 %

But I think I know what you're really after.

American FactFinder - Results *

Geography Race Alone or in Combination

White 248,067,530
Black or African American 43,213,173
American Indian and Alaska Native 6,138,482
Asian 17,676,507
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 1,332,494

~~~~~

How about a more current version?
Research Date: 9.10.2013
Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

Welfare Statistics
Total number of Americans on welfare 12,800,000
Percent of the US population on welfare 4.1 %
Total government spending on welfare annually (not including food stamps or unemployment) $131.9 billion

Welfare Demographics
Percent of recipients who are white 38.8 %
Percent of recipients who are black 39.8 %
Percent of recipients who are Hispanic 15.7 %
Percent of recipients who are Asian 2.4 %
Percent of recipients who are Other 3.3 %

But I think I know what you're really after.

American FactFinder - Results *

Geography Race Alone or in Combination

White 248,067,530
Black or African American 43,213,173
American Indian and Alaska Native 6,138,482
Asian 17,676,507
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 1,332,494

~~~~~
So with less than 15% of the population, blacks have taken the lead.

that should tell you how much of a failure the inner city system.

this isn't new or news, it won't be covered.

I was telling this story on another thread. Rather than start a new thread ill revive yours if you dont mind.

I think republicans anti welfare schtick is racist. I dont completely disagree with republicans on their goal to get people off welfare but i think their motivation behind it is a touch racist.

My white republican buddy when he was a kid his dad died and the government helped his mom raise him. Back then conservatives didn't mind helping the poor. But poor blacks weren't given these benefits. Now that they are, Republicans don't like helping the poor.

The one thing I like about trump bringing up race is it puts a spotlight on the problem. But neither side is completely innocent.

Black people are indeed on welfare in greater numbers than their percentage of population.

Still, on this particular point, I can't blame them. We are all part of a failing system, why the heck would you work like a dog keeping it going? Why would you man the boiler rooms while the Titanic is sinking?

Might as well grab while you can before it all comes down.

Black people are indeed on welfare in greater numbers than their percentage of population.

Still, on this particular point, I can't blame them. We are all part of a failing system, why the heck would you work like a dog keeping it going? Why would you man the boiler rooms while the Titanic is sinking?

Why not instead of welfare try to get out of welfare? My dad was born poor and he will die with lots of money. I went to college now I have a good life. My brother went to college now he's a VP of a fortune 500.

You can keep welfare and keep worrying that the sky is falling while we keep winning.

Why get off of welfare when you receive a check from the government every month, healthcare and food allowance? I have never been on welfare and hopefully will never wind up on it. But in America it is hard to make a decent living. You have to work crazy hours or go to university and go into a lot of debt. Other first world nations give their citizens healthcare and affordable education. They also said have labor laws which gives things like 6 months maternity leave and other labor laws which make it easy for people to work.

We work more hours than any other first world country and make the least pay. There are people who work full time jobs but not able to get health insurance.

I don't blame some of these folks for not being motivated to get off of welfare.

Why get off of welfare when you receive a check from the government every month, healthcare and food allowance? I have never been on welfare and hopefully will never wind up on it. But in America it is hard to make a decent living. You have to work crazy hours or go to university and go into a lot of debt. Other first world nations give their citizens healthcare and affordable education. They also said have labor laws which gives things like 6 months maternity leave and other labor laws which make it easy for people to work.

We work more hours than any other first world country and make the least pay. There are people who work full time jobs but not able to get health insurance.

I don't blame some of these folks for not being motivated to get off of welfare.
And Republicans will claim we aren't productive. BULLSHIT! We work our asses off.

And I paid $5000 a year to go to school back in the 90's. Why did tuition double?

And it cost my dad $400 to have me. Why is it so much more expensive today?

Why not instead of welfare try to get out of welfare? My dad was born poor and he will die with lots of money. I went to college now I have a good life. My brother went to college now he's a VP of a fortune 500.

You can keep welfare and keep worrying that the sky is falling while we keep winning.

Well, you got yours and have a seat on the nicest lifeboat. The Titanic is still going to go down. Better row fast.

Well, you got yours and have a seat on the nicest lifeboat. The Titanic is still going to go down. Better row fast.

Anyone who really thought that way would have to be pretty stupid to remain here, or too chicken shit to try somewhere more to their liking.

Forum List

Back