Who Fought and Won The American Revolutionary War -- Militias or Regular Army?

Can you find three current high-ranking officers who think having a draft is a good idea unless absolutely necessary?

enough with the retarded images and videos

gawd, some people

images

I've provided input stay on topic.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

How many veterans are not actively serving at this time?

Militias are also good at filling in the ranks by volunteering to become regulars in times of need.
I suspect many American militia groups would be unfit

We have the National Guard and during the Bush/Cheney Iraq war, not enough citizens signed up when needed

bring back the damn draft

..and that, Dante, is where we part ways....
of course.

you can't admit when you're wrong :rofl:

The draft fed the war machine in Vietnam. It is the single most firm thing that I stand against. LBJ and Nixon both had no qualms whatsoever about getting me killed because the did not want to go down in history as the first president to lose a war. May they, and their military advisors rot in hell.
No draft since then and war machines are still fed. The reasons to bring back the draft are many. Most people learn from their mistakes. America should on having made the mistake of getting rid of the draft

Nixon and LBJ killed 58,000 of my generation, most of whom were draftees. Four of them were people I knew. That can not be compared to the number of dead in our all volunteer armed forces, since then. I would fight the draft all the way to prison, if they were to bring it back, short of an attack by a foreign nation on our nation. I can honestly say that there would be little, if any restraint on my part in fighting it. Those that are not old enough to remember Vietnam are completely clueless of what an unrestrained military industrial complex is prepared to do to this country, if unleashed again.

were people I knew. That can not be compared to the number of dead in our all volunteer armed forces, since then. I would fight the draft all the way to prison, if they were to bring it back, short of an attack by a foreign nation on our nation. I can honestly say that there would be little, if any restraint on my part in fighting it. Those that are not old enough to remember Vietnam are completely clueless of what an unrestrained military industrial complex is prepared to do to this country, if unleashed again.
Then you better figure how to get our sleeping electorate awake to the fact our presidents have an imperial war machine that can be sent anywhere at anytime without Congress's declaration of war.

were people I knew. That can not be compared to the number of dead in our all volunteer armed forces, since then. I would fight the draft all the way to prison, if they were to bring it back, short of an attack by a foreign nation on our nation. I can honestly say that there would be little, if any restraint on my part in fighting it. Those that are not old enough to remember Vietnam are completely clueless of what an unrestrained military industrial complex is prepared to do to this country, if unleashed again.
Then you better figure how to get our sleeping electorate awake to the fact our presidents have an imperial war machine that can be sent anywhere at anytime without Congress's declaration of war.

I don't think that I have ever admitted this, but I voted for baby Bush the first time. Because of this issue (and others), I have not voted republican, since. Yes, Obama continued the wars. I consider that the lessor of two evils. I am active in any anti-war movement that I can find, and vote accordingly.

I don't think that I have ever admitted this, but I voted for baby Bush the first time. Because of this issue (and others), I have not voted republican, since. Yes, Obama continued the wars. I consider that the lessor of two evils. I am active in any anti-war movement that I can find, and vote accordingly.
Then you are not a neo-con, which automatically makes you the better kind of American, imo.

Bring our troops home from the ME.

Then you are not a neo-con, which automatically makes you the better kind of American, imo.

Bring our troops home from pretty damned near everywhere, including several hundred bases around the world

List of United States military bases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bring our troops home from pretty damned near everywhere, including several hundred bases around the world

By having bases in South Korea, Japan, and Okinawa, the US armed might prevents China and NK from getting too rambunctious.

By having bases in South Korea, Japan, and Okinawa, the US armed might prevents China and NK from getting too rambunctious.

True, but I suspect that we no longer have to worry about the NAZIS is Germany, where we still maintain 56 military bases. And over 100 in Italy...what the hell is that all about? Are we afraid of someone diverting all of our olive oil?

Nah, goes back to the days of an agressive communism from the USSR and eastern Europe. Now we have to worry about fascism in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland, Bulgaria, and Rumania.

And getting back to militias, here is what Washington thought about them:

George Washington & the Militia - Constitutional Militia
" And he didn’t have a great deal of faith or have many good things to say about the militia as soldiers. Now that was probably true of a number of his top commanders as well."

"They showed up for 60 days or 90 days, whatever their term of service was, and they were usually operating on rotation, so they didn’t send them all out of a state at once. They would send a small contingent out, they would draft them, sometimes by lot and send a group out for a limited time. They were pretty independently minded people, they weren’t subject to normal military discipline because discipline in the militia was relatively lax."

Bring our troops home from pretty damned near everywhere, including several hundred bases around the world...

Not gonna happen, and shouldn't.

True, but I suspect that we no longer have to worry about the NAZIS is Germany, where we still maintain 56 military bases. And over 100 in Italy...what the hell is that all about? Are we afraid of someone diverting all of our olive oil?

Short-sighted emoting.

Short-sighted emoting.

Brain washed by the fear mongering military industrial complex. These are the same people who gave us the domino theory in Vietnam, and the Cuba embargo.

Short-sighted emoting.

Brain washed by the fear mongering military industrial complex. These are the same people who gave us the domino theory in Vietnam, and the Cuba embargo.

Letting your emotions get away with you like this is irresponsible.

Short-sighted emoting.

Letting your emotions get away with you like this is irresponsible.

The state of my emotions can best be described as "amused"

Militias were mostly undependable and were poorly disciplined. They would run from the field as soon as the firing started.

But they were a good stopgap measure and served a purpose until the Americans could fields a trained army

Can you find three current high-ranking officers who think having a draft is a good idea unless absolutely necessary?
WE have civilian control of the military. Current high ranking or military/cabinet advisers? How many times have high ranking military officers been wrong? Are their words and opinions sacrosanct?

In republican societies where there becomes a distinctly separate class of military citizens there is trouble. The issues of our society outweigh whatever real or imagined difficulty bringing back the draft would have.

We've always had a professional class of military officers to guide and lead the military with or without a draft

The draft and national service would benefit the nation much more than the volunteer military does. would we have had the most recent wars work out the way they have had most all Americans had a dawg in the fight?

If you have no faith in the ability of the professional officer class to lead and defend the nation with a draft, go ahead and say so. There were always people who volunteered with the draft in place.

I have cousin who started as a private and retired as a full colonel. He says, and I agree, that given the resources, the military will find a way to wage war, whether or not such war makes any sense.

Forum List

Back