Who Fought and Won The American Revolutionary War -- Militias or Regular Army?

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Who Fought and Won The American Revolutionary War -- Militias or Regular Army?

Simple question really. I know people are fond of the idea that it was citizen militias which engaged the British mercenaries beat them. How close or far is that from the actual truth? We all know it is the militia types who would be first to take up arms and shout and holler about how short any war would be due to their self-proclaimed superior virtue and dedication to cause, but is it emotion, delusion, and hype that wins wars of independence?

upload_2015-10-10_19-20-20.jpeg

Both were important.

*****SMILE*****

:)

The professional army came to the fore after Valley Forge.

Greene used a mixture of Continentals and militia in the southern campaign after the disaster at Camden.

American and French regulars at Yorktown with the blockading French Navy ended the major fighting.

Get away from New England and many Americans simply didn't care at all. They fought the British and their indian allies for survival not independence.

I'm doing some intensive research on Revolutionary era Ohio Valley. They had truly great heroes, but none of them were fighting for independence. There were few regular army at the forts. The fighting was done by the settlers.

The last battle of the Revolution was at Fort Henry, Virginia. 200 men and women fought 800 British and Wyandot for three days. That 200 included the settlers from the surrounding area and the women. They were fighting for survival. They didn't know who won the war.

Get away from New England and many Americans simply didn't care at all. They fought the British and their indian allies for survival not independence.

I'm doing some intensive research on Revolutionary era Ohio Valley. They had truly great heroes, but none of them were fighting for independence. There were few regular army at the forts. The fighting was done by the settlers.

The last battle of the Revolution was at Fort Henry, Virginia. 200 men and women fought 800 British and Wyandot for three days. That 200 included the settlers from the surrounding area and the women. They were fighting for survival. They didn't know who won the war.
After the French and Indian wars the colonists were forbidden to cross over into the more fertile and wide open spaces in the west -- some joined the revolutionary cause with the hope in mind that winning would open up the west, as it did. But one need only to look at the record of the people who were most agitated towards England/Britain and those people were spread out all over the 13 colonies

Both were important.

Militias were important before was was declared. When Washington got to Cambridge MA the militias were a mess. The united colonies were still arguing they were resisting the Parliament and not the Crown. Militias might be good at starting trouble, but...

upload_2015-10-10_20-13-27.jpeg

How many veterans are not actively serving at this time?

Militias are also good at filling in the ranks by volunteering to become regulars in times of need.

*****SMILE*****

Both were important.

Militias were important before was was declared. When Washington got to Cambridge MA the militias were a mess. The united colonies were still arguing they were resisting the Parliament and not the Crown. Militias might be good at starting trouble, but...

Militias are also good at filling in the ranks by volunteering to become regulars in times of need.
I suspect many American militia groups would be unfit

We have the National Guard and during the Bush/Cheney Iraq war, not enough citizens signed up when needed

bring back the damn draft

Both were important.

We have the National Guard and during the Bush/Cheney Iraq war, not enough citizens signed up when needed

..and that, Dante, is where we part ways....

Both were important.

upload_2015-10-10_20-36-54.jpeg

The standards will be lowered if the need arises however I'll go with what you want... From now on women need to sign up for selective service and no one is exempt from serving the moment their number comes up, even if they're in college..... Oh! And family members of our politicians get extra chances for being called up since they obviously failed at diplomacy.

*****SMILE*****

Both were important.

of course.

you can't admit when you're wrong :rofl:

Both were important.

of course.

The draft fed the war machine in Vietnam. It is the single most firm thing that I stand against. LBJ and Nixon both had no qualms whatsoever about getting me killed because the did not want to go down in history as the first president to lose a war. May they, and their military advisors rot in hell.

of course.

The draft fed the war machine in Vietnam. It is the single most firm thing that I stand against. LBJ and Nixon both had no qualms whatsoever about getting me killed because the did not want to go down in history as the first president to lose a war. May they, and their military advisors rot in hell.
No draft since then and war machines are still fed. The reasons to bring back the draft are many. Most people learn from their mistakes. America should on having made the mistake of getting rid of the draft

Forum List

Back