Who Didn't See This One Coming? ( grr )

You and I must have a different definition of the word efficient. Because my definition in no way includes a potential $7 Billion loss. Simply because they do it "cheap", doesn't mean they do it efficiently.

efficient - Definition of efficient at YourDictionary.com

efficient definition

ef·fi·cient (e fis̸h′ənt, i-)

adjective

1. directly producing an effect or result; causative; effective the efficient cause
2. producing a desired effect, product, etc. with a minimum of effort, expense, or waste; working well

Number 2 above is about how I would define efficient and I don't see a $7 Billion loss as fitting the bill here.

That being said, I appreciate the service I get from the post office and suspect the problem lies in our belief that the government should provide services nearly free of charge and not in their inability to perform the tasks at hand.

If the post office is losing so much money then they should raise their rates. Would $2 for a First Class letter suffice? I don't know, but maybe it would cut down on some of the junk mail. The post office is not running efficiently. In fact, it is running extremely inefficiently.

Immie

I say they run efficiently because 99% of the mail gets to where it's supposed to go, on time, for very little cost, thus fitting definition 1.

Private companies that deliver packages do so at greater cost, and would never want to even try to take over what the Post Office does.

And I constantly hear stories of packages "falling off the back of trucks" with FedEx.

The problem is that non-package snail-mail is becoming obsolete, and by extension, so is the post office. That doesn't mean that they're not doing the job they are tasked with efficiently.

its not bankrupt yet....but if you see how management manages its finances its not hard to see why they lose so much money.....see post no. 4.....Meister knows this place as well as me....

The USPS doesn't have the sharpest management - but they are also plagued by a suffocating employee union which resists any changes to make the operations more efficient.

Wow!

It took 40 posts before someone got around to blaming it on the worker.

You people better get crackin', you're falling down on the job.

You and I must have a different definition of the word efficient. Because my definition in no way includes a potential $7 Billion loss. Simply because they do it "cheap", doesn't mean they do it efficiently.

Number 2 above is about how I would define efficient and I don't see a $7 Billion loss as fitting the bill here.

That being said, I appreciate the service I get from the post office and suspect the problem lies in our belief that the government should provide services nearly free of charge and not in their inability to perform the tasks at hand.

If the post office is losing so much money then they should raise their rates. Would $2 for a First Class letter suffice? I don't know, but maybe it would cut down on some of the junk mail. The post office is not running efficiently. In fact, it is running extremely inefficiently.

Immie

they move the mail very efficiently,but that is because of the people who actually move the mail,not upper management,....its the finances that these jerks are good at blowing....and they do that VERY EFFICIENTLY....

The reduction ad absurdum of where the government is headed is that we will pay enormous taxes to fund pension payout, entitlements, and interest on the debt - with no services whatsoever.

Next up for the post office - a special tax on those of us who don't use it, kind of like when a credit card company charges one for not using a card enough.

and so how would they know if you dont use it?.........

Wow!

Have you ever done any work for the post office? I have.

A company I worked for a in the early 90s was involved in a project to automate mail sorting. Even with these productivity improvements, the labor could not be reduced. They had people just standing around watching the machines because they were unionized.

The problem with the USPS is that it has not adapted to technological developments the way an efficient organization would. Their cost structure makes no sense for their current and projected revenue opportunities - and the union resists changes, just like the UAW has done to Detroit and Public Employee Unions are doing to the government.

its not bankrupt yet....but if you see how management manages its finances its not hard to see why they lose so much money.....see post no. 4.....Meister knows this place as well as me....

The USPS doesn't have the sharpest management - but they are also plagued by a suffocating employee union which resists any changes to make the operations more efficient.

Wow!

It is all those veterans working for the post office?
Who woulda thunk?

The USPS is to present day communications what Buggy Whips were to the auto industry.

Much of what it used to deliver is now done electronically - leaving it the junk mail business (which is also being replaced by the internet).
your someone on the outside looking in....."junk mail" as i said earlier is still the most effective way to advertise.....people fast forward through ads on TV,they change the radio station,ads on the internet?.....i dont see many and if i do i go through them.....but when you go through your mail,you look at what you have,you might just toss it,but many things catch your eye and you may open it.....this buy the way is what the advertising industry says about Direct Mail Advertising.....they claim it pays off more than the other mediums.....

Wow!

It is all those veterans working for the post office?
Who woulda thunk?

Veterans?

If they're not fighting a war what the fuck good are they?

Just more damn leaches sucking up all "my" money.

Saturday delivery being lost is not a big deal, unless the credit card companies and others who like late fees benefit. Sounds like an opportunity for private firms to fill the gap, if they see a profit. All in all, a good experiment into what place the postal service can serve.

if its delivering 1st class mail....no one will fill the gap....

The Efficiency of the post office has declined dramtically since it was transferred from executive control (the president) to legislative control (the congress)
When the Post Office was under the comand of the president rthe post was faster, stamps were cheaper, and the end of the year saw a net profit that gave the president a little leeway in his executive powers. Congress took over and suddenly the price of stamps began a steady rise, service became less reliable, and the whole mess lost money. No, E-mail was not the cause, check when congress toook over the Post Office and how little time it toook them to wreck it.

your someone on the outside looking in....."junk mail" as i said earlier is still the most effective way to advertise.....people fast forward through ads on TV,they change the radio station,ads on the internet?.....i dont see many and if i do i go through them.....but when you go through your mail,you look at what you have,you might just toss it,but many things catch your eye and you may open it.....this buy the way is what the advertising industry says about Direct Mail Advertising.....they claim it pays off more than the other mediums.....

No - as someone who pays taxes to subsidize this mess, I have a vested interest.

Let the direct mail people pay for the service. If it is so effective, they should be able to pay higher rates instead of those of us who do not even want the crap delivered to our homes having to subsidize it.

If they want to save some money, just cut delivery to once a week just before the garbage goes out.
whats the matter Clean....have you had a bad experience with the PO at one time?.....thats 2-3 negative posts by you....

Never. I think it's a fine organization other than the fact that they fill my mailbox up with unwanted crap everyday.

Don't blame the messenger, blame the sender of the unwanted crap. It's a federal offense not to deliver a deliverable peice of mail.

And may I say that while 90% of the people in my town stayed home from work or school the other day, due to the severe blizzard we got hit with (they declared a snow emergency), there was still a mail truck sloughing through the snow delivering mail to my house.

Fedex, meanwhile, stopped delivering early.

Hahahaha
So the State/Government ops to keep people home for safety reasons ... but makes a postal worker continue ... doesn't make much sense here.
Lets not forget at a slower than usual pace spinning tires, running heaters using more gas etc ect :cuckoo:

that depends on what changes they are resisting.....remember you yourself said it....."The USPS doesn't have the sharpest management".....they also dont have the greatest ideas on how to move the mail....these are some of the "changes" the Union resists....the best ideas come from the lower people who actually touch the mail,but very little of this gets implemented,it makes to much sense....middle management gets in the way with their "ideas".....upper management who is totally out of touch, only listens to what middle management tells them....so down at the bottom the carriers and clerks will do what they can,and work around the Bullshit to get the mail out the door and delivered ...IN SPITE of the BULLSHIT that management comes up with.....which usually is more time consuming and wasteful ......

Have you ever done any work for the post office? I have.

A company I worked for a in the early 90s was involved in a project to automate mail sorting. Even with these productivity improvements, the labor could not be reduced. They had people just standing around watching the machines because they were unionized.

The problem with the USPS is that it has not adapted to technological developments the way an efficient organization would. Their cost structure makes no sense for their current and projected revenue opportunities - and the union resists changes, just like the UAW has done to Detroit and Public Employee Unions are doing to the government.

like i said you are on the outside looking in.....the Union doesnt resist change, but they do resist it when the workers are the ones getting fucked over while the Management in the PO goes unfettered.....the PO is so top heavy with Management that they will have 4 supervisors to manage 40 carriers...when i started one did it all by his lonesome....we had 6 managers come to our office for 10 min....to tell us they are going to review our routes in the upcoming months....and then they left to go to another office.....6 people making an avg of 70 thou a year to do that.....the district manager travels with an entourage.....why?.....but yet the carriors are asked to take more deliveries in the same amount of time.....and Manegement grows.....they are saying they are broke....yet they are going to spend millions to put GPS units in all delivery vehicals....this will also now include more management.....someone who will be the one reviewing this data,and of course he will need a staff.....the only problem with the PO is the incompetent idiots who call themselves mamagement....and John Potter the PMG is the leader of the pack.....

No - as someone who pays taxes to subsidize this mess, I have a vested interest.

Let the direct mail people pay for the service. If it is so effective, they should be able to pay higher rates instead of those of us who do not even want the crap delivered to our homes having to subsidize it.

prove to me that your tax dollars run the PO......

Forum List

Back