Who Didn't See This One Coming? ( grr )

No - as someone who pays taxes to subsidize this mess, I have a vested interest.

Let the direct mail people pay for the service. If it is so effective, they should be able to pay higher rates instead of those of us who do not even want the crap delivered to our homes having to subsidize it.

prove to me that your tax dollars run the PO......

On today's news the post-office is unprofitable by 80%. That means that they need to cut costs by about 80% just to break even. That leaves two options:
1. privatize mail delivery (too risky) Just imagine the opportunity for abuse, lose your opponents mail, read your opponent's mail, etc.
2. cut costs & services, like Saturday delivery. I like no mail delivery on OT Saturday.

Hahahaha
So the State/Government ops to keep people home for safety reasons ... but makes a postal worker continue ... doesn't make much sense here.
Lets not forget at a slower than usual pace spinning tires, running heaters using more gas etc ect :cuckoo:

OR, the Postal Service lives up to it's credo, and like the military, operates in even the harshest conditions.

Hahahaha
So the State/Government ops to keep people home for safety reasons ... but makes a postal worker continue ... doesn't make much sense here.
Lets not forget at a slower than usual pace spinning tires, running heaters using more gas etc ect :cuckoo:

OR, the Postal Service lives up to it's credo, and like the military, operates in even the harshest conditions.
Live up to the credo ... ok like the military hahahaahhaa

Hahahaha

The Post Office never had that creed, it was stated by some newspaper reporter. People through the years have just made it stick

The Post Office never had that creed, it was stated by some newspaper reporter. People through the years have just made it stick

Perhaps, but it's the inscription found on the General Post Office in New York City at 8th Avenue and 33rd Street.

On today's news the post-office is unprofitable by 80%. That means that they need to cut costs by about 80% just to break even. That leaves two options:
1. privatize mail delivery (too risky) Just imagine the opportunity for abuse, lose your opponents mail, read your opponent's mail, etc.
2. cut costs & services, like Saturday delivery. I like no mail delivery on OT Saturday.

80% of their costs are LABOR. They need to both cut the absolute number of employees as well as restructure excessive pay and benefits packages. Without addressing labor costs, there is no way they will get to breakeven.

I for one would like a Postal Service option to be maintained. The delivery of personal cards of the birthday and Christmas variety are not the same when a personal message in hand written format is sent or received. Elimination of the service may be palatable to some, but not everyone has a computer to get their bills paid and the like.

I would guess that privatizing postal box locations and reducing home delivery to a special charge service would be the ultimate solution.

80% of their costs are LABOR. They need to both cut the absolute number of employees as well as restructure excessive pay and benefits packages. Without addressing labor costs, there is no way they will get to breakeven.

Raise the price of a stamp to $1.00. They'll break even.

The problem is not "LABOR". And they do not have "excessive health benefits". Just because you right-wing lunatics think that workers should just lay down and die instead of having health insurance, doesn't mean that having health insurance is "excessive".

Last edited:
No - as someone who pays taxes to subsidize this mess, I have a vested interest.

Let the direct mail people pay for the service. If it is so effective, they should be able to pay higher rates instead of those of us who do not even want the crap delivered to our homes having to subsidize it.

3.if they had quality management they would not have half the problems they have now.....OR....if they had to answer to somebody about the money they blow,they would not have half the problems they have now....

Perhaps, but it's the inscription found on the General Post Office in New York City at 8th Avenue and 33rd Street.

from Infoplease.....

Contrary to popular belief, the U.S. Postal Service has no "official motto."

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

This is commonly misidentified as the creed of our mail carriers, but actually it is just the inscription found on the General Post Office in New York City at 8th Avenue and 33rd Street.

Here's how the official Web site of the U.S. Postal Service describes the origin of the inscription.

This inscription was supplied by William Mitchell Kendall of the firm of McKim, Mead & White, the architects who designed the New York General Post Office. Kendall said the sentence appears in the works of Herodotus and describes the expedition of the Greeks against the Persians under Cyrus, about 500 B.C. The Persians operated a system of mounted postal couriers, and the sentence describes the fidelity with which their work was done. Professor George H. Palmer of Harvard University supplied the translation, which he considered the most poetical of about seven translations from the Greek.

3.if they had quality management they would not have half the problems they have now.....OR....if they had to answer to somebody about the money they blow,they would not have half the problems they have now....

Harry mentioned a top heavy management. I'd tend to believe him on that one. If Saturday delivery represents some great opportunity to private industry, someone will step up to offer the service. My guess is, its a loser and this may be the start of some good decisions from the USPS.

i bet you got this 80% bullshit from the PO or the Dept Of Labor or some other Govt agency....i bet they DID NOT tell you how much money Manegment wastes every year...did they?....the only thing that needs to be cut is the number of Chiefs they have....which they have way to many that have NOTHING and i repeat NOTHING to do with moving the mail...OR i might add with running the Company....if you wanna know about jobs being created to give someone something to do,because they have nothing for this person to do OR this person is so useless they cant do any of the established jobs,SO they make a job that this moron can do...if you wanna know about that..the PO is the master at that.....and it is always a job that most of us cant believe ...is a job paying a damn good wage.....thats what i call excessive pay.....

Harry mentioned a top heavy management. I'd tend to believe him on that one. If Saturday delivery represents some great opportunity to private industry, someone will step up to offer the service. My guess is, its a loser and this may be the start of some good decisions from the USPS.

Save....they have already been told by a group of Mailers that Sat. is important to them and THEIR customers,and if they eliminate Sat.,they will go to someone else....for instance,Kaiser Medical told them what about people who have a mailed perscription coming that they need lets say by Sun.(Meds run out) it gets to the PO Fri. evening,ready to go Sat....BUT there is no delivery.....the PO said they will address this with individuale Sat. deliveries for these folks...we will see....it may all be moot though....today we heard that Congress is not to hot on this and may tell the PO to look at other ways to save.....how about having someone question them everytime a lot of money is spent....what is it being spent on and why....how about STOP SPENDING.....

i bet you got this 80% bullshit from the PO or the Dept Of Labor or some other Govt agency....i bet they DID NOT tell you how much money Manegment wastes every year...did they?....the only thing that needs to be cut is the number of Chiefs they have....which they have way to many that have NOTHING and i repeat NOTHING to do with moving the mail...OR i might add with running the Company....if you wanna know about jobs being created to give someone something to do,because they have nothing for this person to do OR this person is so useless they cant do any of the established jobs,SO they make a job that this moron can do...if you wanna know about that..the PO is the master at that.....and it is always a job that most of us cant believe ...is a job paying a damn good wage.....thats what i call excessive pay.....

The USPS is required to produce financial statements. Anyone can look them up, although you may need somebody who can translate financial concepts into Leftwing Hyperbole for you to grok them.

For the 2008, Compensation, Benefits and Retiree Health Care cost was over 81% of revenues. Get an abacus and do the math for yourself, or get your attendant to help you.

FINANCIAL STATEMENTS

The USPS is required to produce financial statements. Anyone can look them up, although you may need somebody who can translate financial concepts into Leftwing Hyperbole for you to grok them.

For the 2008, Compensation, Benefits and Retiree Health Care cost was over 81% of revenues. Get an abacus and do the math for yourself, or get your attendant to help you.

FINANCIAL STATEMENTS

Could be Harry defines labor as people who actually work. By his own accounts, most of the management doesn't fall in that category. Harry, I don't see where experimenting with no Saturday delivery might be useful information. Perhaps no Wednesday delivery makes more sense, so there are not two days back to back without service?

FINANCIAL STATEMENTS

lets put it like this Bo....its real easy to say the workers cost to much,especially at contract time....but yet they have NO problems giving their Managers some pretty hefty bonuses,even in the bad times....they have NO problems spending money on things that are not needed,like these GPS units they are going to install,at this time when they say they are broke....they have NO problems,sending 4 people making 70 thou a year to Audit an office,and these people just walk around telling the Supervisors that this should not be here,and this word on the case were misthrown mail is put is not the proper term the PO uses,BS things like that......they have NO problems spending MILLIONS to condense the cases were we put up our mail,to be told by every carrier and Supervisor that we cant do that, they wont be able to get the daily mail up and ready for delivery,IT ALL WONT FIT IN THE CASE....but they did it anyway....and low and behold mail was now being cut back in droves because of the obvious.....3 months later they had to put things back like it was....but guess what...they threw away all the equipment....so now they had to spend who knows how much to purchase new stuff ......and all kinds of OT for the carriers to catch up on the delayed mail.....you have to work in this place to fully understand what im talking about....Management waste is their main problem....

FINANCIAL STATEMENTS

lets put it like this Bo....its real easy to say the workers cost to much,especially at contract time....but yet they have NO problems giving their Managers some pretty hefty bonuses,even in the bad times....they have NO problems spending money on things that are not needed,like these GPS units they are going to install,at this time when they say they are broke....they have NO problems,sending 4 people making 70 thou a year to Audit an office,and these people just walk around telling the Supervisors that this should not be here,and this word on the case were misthrown mail is put is not the proper term the PO uses,BS things like that......they have NO problems spending MILLIONS to condense the cases were we put up our mail,to be told by every carrier and Supervisor that we cant do that, they wont be able to get the daily mail up and ready for delivery,IT ALL WONT FIT IN THE CASE....but they did it anyway....and low and behold mail was now being cut back in droves because of the obvious.....3 months later they had to put things back like it was....but guess what...they threw away all the equipment....so now they had to spend who knows how much to purchase new stuff ......and all kinds of OT for the carriers to catch up on the delayed mail.....you have to work in this place to fully understand what im talking about....Management waste is their main problem....

I see things haven't changed much in the post office.
I do miss the people, but not the job.

What would be so bad if mail was delivered only 3 days a week?

There are other options for express and second day delivery.

What would be so bad if mail was delivered only 3 days a week?

There are other options for express and second day delivery.

yes there would be a problem....mail especially first class....continually moves forward within the PO...until it gets to the carriers,there it stops.....some offices get a lot of mail....and our trucks are not loaded for us like UPS is....we have to put up the mail by hand,the only mail sorted by machine are the letters,the rest we deal with,then we pull the route down,and go load the truck and begin....when you have to deal with 2-3 days worth of mail instead of one....its not fun...you have a time limit....in order to understand what i am saying you have to do the job its hard to get people to realize what it is casing up a route and what it entails....there is more mail then what you think.....some people think because they get 2 letters a day,so does everyone else....far from the truth....

Forum List

Back