Who Didn't See This One Coming? ( grr )

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AquaAthena, Mar 2, 2010.

1. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Postmaster General John Potter said Tuesday that he intends to seek congressional approval to cut Saturday delivery as part of a wide-ranging plan to close a multi-billion dollar budget gap.

Though the idea of cutting service from six to five days has gotten a cool reception on Capitol Hill, Potter said that the plan would include enough flexibility so that customers who need Saturday service can get it and that this and other changes need to be implemented for the Postal Service to survive.

"We built a plan that we think is very reasonable. ... We intend to pursue that," he said. "It's a move that we simply have to make."

Much more : FOXNews.com - Postal Service Seeks Permission to End Saturday Delivery

2. Mr.Fitnah

Mr.Fitnah Dreamcrusher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,673
    It is inevitable that the government will cost more and do less .
    Eventually we will cast it off or be crushed .

3. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Thank you for your response Mr. Fitnah. I couldn't agree, more.

4. Meister

Meister VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    The Post Office is crying about losing money year after year, but they want to implement a GPS unit in the vehicles so they can micromanage the carriers when on the street. That is Postal Logic at its best.

5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I think the postal service peaked with the pony express.

6. Vast LWC

Vast LWC <-Mohammed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +871
    The Postal Service has been one of the most efficient and large-scale efforts ever instituted in this country.

It still is, in fact. No-one else is offering to take over the hundreds of millions of pieces of mail delivery that the post office handles every day for what the post office charges.

It is unfortunate for them that e-mail is taking all their business, but you can't stop technology.

Try to send a piece of mail on Saturday via Fed-Ex for 41 cents (or whatever the cost of stamps is these days), they'll laugh in your face.

What the Post Office should really do is raise the cost of a stamp to competitive rates, especially the cost of all the damn Junk mail. If they raised the cost of all that bulk junk mail, they'd save on labor costs from the companies that can't afford it anymore, and it would stop filling up my garbage pail.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  7. Vast LWC

Vast LWC <-Mohammed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +871
    And may I say that while 90% of the people in my town stayed home from work or school the other day, due to the severe blizzard we got hit with (they declared a snow emergency), there was still a mail truck sloughing through the snow delivering mail to my house.

Fedex, meanwhile, stopped delivering early.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Lets just give the responsibility of daily letter delivery to UPS and see where their rates go?

9. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    There is an act of congress mandating minimum fees for to door deliver of postal matter.

The thing is, all I get these days is legal notices from Washington County and advertising circulars. All my other stuff goes email. The bank has permission to send all my banking business by email, and that is where I get all my business correspondence.

You get rid of the minimum price law, I think we would see lots lower prices for express mail, but that is all there would ever be.

From what I understand, the US post office is the world's most efficient and cheapest. The German post office (known locally as the Bundespest) seems to be one of the most expensive.

The US mail moves an incredible amount of drek for really cheap cost over a huge area. Very little gets lost too. So it is the best and cheapest buggy whip dealer. I don't see much of a point for it any more.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,824
    Good!

One less day to clean crap out of my mailbox.