who can afford to buy a house?

"
"One measure of the strength of the housing market is the relationship of current prices to their historical levels," Craig J. Lazzara, managing director at S&P DJI, said in the press release. "On that dimension, it’s worth noting that the National Composite, the 10-City Composite, and seven individual cities (Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, and New York) stand at their all-time highs."

"On a year-to-date basis, the National Composite has risen 5.8%, which is well above the median full calendar year increase in more than 35 years of data," he added."

35 years?

Must be Trumps fault.
Boggles my mind how people think this is signs of a strong economy

image0-3.jpeg

"
"One measure of the strength of the housing market is the relationship of current prices to their historical levels," Craig J. Lazzara, managing director at S&P DJI, said in the press release. "On that dimension, it’s worth noting that the National Composite, the 10-City Composite, and seven individual cities (Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, and New York) stand at their all-time highs."

"On a year-to-date basis, the National Composite has risen 5.8%, which is well above the median full calendar year increase in more than 35 years of data," he added."

35 years?

Must be Trumps fault.
It has now reached the point where in order to buy a median priced home in most areas, you need to have a six figure income. In San Francisco in order to buy a median priced home you have to be earning 400K. But, not to worry, many blue areas are scrambling to build section 8 housing.

All the losers chirping about no house buying are no where near able to buy houses at 3.5% or 7.5%
It’s not the lifestyle they have chosen

nice......yeah they tend to grow on ya Jack......we've had some interesting conversations here.....
View attachment 853560
Yes, they do GROW on a person like big time! I am so wired that I have met a fellow USMB member that lives on the land with those so precious goats, & @ that with both a Savanna & Black Pygmy no less! I pull out of full time employment this Dec. 30th then just employed on the weekends. That will give me time to finally get my goat/deer complex constructed. This area I am in is so infested with coyotes & now that we have a herd of elk in my immediate area the wolves have also arrived. I will definitely have a STOUT perimeter fence in the range of 6'-6.5' tall with heavy gauge weaved field fence with STACKED steel poles clamped together to get the 6'+ height.

As I'm typing here I can't keep my eyes of your couple of cuties! That lil sweetheart of yours on the left has the absolute sweetest eyes I have ever seen on a goat, honestly! Your Black Pygmy looks sooooo close to what my lil Pandy#1 looked like!!!! You are one blessed man for sure! May I ask of their names please? Hopefully OPJQ can get together with her kinfolk & land that hobby farm that she mentioned, like we'd have a triad of creatures galore we could share between us online! Till next time!

May I ask of their names please
The white one is Abigail, the black is Abby

they're my girls & watchdogs on the farm Jack

i haven't has many critter problems since they've been around, and they get along with the hens , who seem to seek shelter with them when the rooster gets to be a pita

I suppose a bit of a sisterhood exists .......

~S~

There should be a national movement to cap real estate taxes similar to the Jarvis/Gann Prop 13 law that was passed in CA in the 70s.

Problem is, that law limits property tax increases to no more than 2% per year for the current owner. Two problems:

#1 It makes is difficult for localities to provide services because the cost of services and infrastructure are not under the same limitations.

#2 That 2% cap resets with a change in ownership. So an older couple that sells their house and has enjoyed limited tax increases, that cap is eliminated and the younger buyers property taxes are reset based on market value.

WW

#1 It makes is difficult for localities to provide services because the cost of services and infrastructure are not under the same limitations.
Not so. The people of any particular area can vote themselves a property tax increase if they so desire. It is called Mello Roos. Those districts exist throughout CA. BTW, the limit is 1% not 2 and it is limited by the cash value which can only be reassessed every five years or upon sale.

Not so. The people of any particular area can vote themselves a property tax increase if they so desire. It is called Mello Roos. Those districts exist throughout CA. BTW, the limit is 1% not 2 and it is limited by the cash value which can only be reassessed every five years or upon sale.

It limits the levy (or millage) to 1% of assessed value. However assessed value increases, even with the 1% millage limit are not uncommon in a hot market. 2% is the limit on year-over-year paid by the landowner. Even with the millage limit, the result could be increases in the property tax owed of greater than 2%, hence the application of the second limit.

WW

It limits the levy (or millage) to 1% of assessed value. However assessed value increases, even with the 1% millage limit are not uncommon in a hot market. 2% is the limit on year-over-year paid by the landowner. Even with the millage limit, the result could be increases in the property tax owed of greater than 2%, hence the application of the second limit.

WW
I lived in the same home in CA for 28 years. During that time, my property value was reassessed twice and I had one Mello Roos fee levied due to a local decision. The first time that my property was reassessed--due to refi, my taxes increased by 1% of the new assessed value. The second time was after the crash in 2006 and my property taxes went down. The 2% that you are referring to is the limit that the assessed value of the property can be increased by at any reassessment.

I lived in the same home in CA for 28 years. During that time, my property value was reassessed twice and I had one Mello Roos fee levied due to a local decision. The first time that my property was reassessed--due to refi, my taxes increased by 1% of the new assessed value. The second time was after the crash in 2006 and my property taxes went down.

You disagreed with my post but didn't point out what was incorrect.

I said that property taxes were limited to 1% of assessed value, and

That the increase in year-over-year increases paid by the owner could be no more than 2%.

I didn't address voter approved special assessments which can allow for an increase which exceeds those limits. But they have to pass based on voter approval.

Now what about what I said was incorrect. BTW my wife's family is from Pacifica and still owns property in California. My wife managed my MIL's finances for a long time prior to her recent passing.

The 2% that you are referring to is the limit that the assessed value of the property can be increased by at any reassessment.

"How Proposition 13 Works

Proposition 13 provides three very important functions in property tax assessments in California. Under Prop 13, all real property has established base year values, a restricted rate of increase on assessments of no greater than 2% each year, and a limit on property taxes to 1% of the assessed value (plus additional voter-approved taxes)."

From a California Assessors office near the family property.

No more than 2% in assessments and a limit of 1$ of assessed value. Which is what I said.

WW

Last edited:
The white one is Abigail, the black is Abby

they're my girls & watchdogs on the farm Jack

i haven't has many critter problems since they've been around, and they get along with the hens , who seem to seek shelter with them when the rooster gets to be a pita

I suppose a bit of a sisterhood exists .......

~S~
You named them right, Abigail FITS her sweet face while Abby sounds a tad more mature & well matches her face. I see your girls get to roam the farm as both my Neuman & Pandy#1 did also. I banded Neuman's testes so he would not leave the acreage in search of does in heat. Goats appear to know(HOW?) what property is theirs to roam. I noticed the local elk herd appears to know where they are safe from danger also. Instead of hiding in thickets & treed areas by day they are hanging out in the crop fields/tree line & not that far out from the out buildings. I mean you gotta see this to believe it. The game dept. told us that this herd in the below vid has 132 members...

They have been on my acreage twice now that I know of so they know exactly where my water trough is located at for sure! Some humor 4 U below before I move on, ENJOY!

Power Struggle In The Small World!

"

35 years?

Must be Trumps fault.
Chinese are buying up US real estate to keep it out of the clutches of the ChiCom government. Mostly west coast.

In the meantime costs are very reasonable outside of major cities and away from the Left coast.

Forum List

Back