Who Are Usted?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
It's not a new concept, but it is interesting. For many years now, linguists have studied the phenomenon that people think and behave differently when communicating in different languages. Many interesting cultural, psychological, and linguistic factors come into play. It has even been proposed that people develop separate and distinct personalities for each language in which they may communicate.

Learn a new language and become a different person?

It's not a new concept, but it is interesting. For many years now, linguists have studied the phenomenon that people think and behave differently when communicating in different languages. Many interesting cultural, psychological, and linguistic factors come into play. It has even been proposed that people develop separate and distinct personalities for each language in which they may communicate.

Learn a new language and become a different person?

I know three languages and I am still the same person I have always been. Speaking Spanish doesn't make me want to wear a sombrero or ride a burro.

1648822460217.png

I'm thinkin' ya' all are nuking it out too much.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

I know three languages and I am still the same person I have always been. Speaking Spanish doesn't make me want to wear a sombrero or ride a burro.
It's not about that. Read the links.

I took a linguistics course in college and learned about a man named Benjamin Whorf who wrote a fascinating book about language and perception.
Which became know as the Whorfian Hypotheses and started a new field of academic study known as Linguistic Relativity.
Basically, that language influences thought. The hypothesis states that language controls both thought and perception.

Last edited:
Well, in English, a person says "I hit the ball". In Japanese, it is "the ball was hit by me". The implications regarding the subtle difference in perspective involved should be inherent to any thinking person.

Well, in English, a person says "I hit the ball". In Japanese, it is "the ball was hit by me". .....

Actually, it would usually be more like "I, the ball hit." What you wrote is just the passive voice in English.

Forum List

Back