Multiple Personality Speaking

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
I mentioned this years ago in another thread, but it seemed interesting enough to bring up again.

There is a linguistic theory that speaking in another language brings out/creates/allows people to assume a different personality than they usually exhibit. It is most likely a manifestation of how the second language speaker thinks and feels about the culture associated with the language in question.

Johnson: Do different languages confer different personalities?

You know that’s interesting. When I adopt a Australia accent I image myself as crocodile Dundee, and when I try a German accent I feel like a humorless nazi. I definitely think there is something to this.

You know that’s interesting. When I adopt a Australia accent I image myself as crocodile Dundee, and when I try a German accent I feel like a humorless nazi. I definitely think there is something to this.

What happens when you speak Klingon?

klingon women notice?

23t1k8.jpg

~S~

On a serious note, while the effects of speaking another language on one’s demonstrative personality maybe a matter of impression or even performance, the act of reading in any language does have a significant and concrete biochemical effect which can be different depending on what kind of reading one is doing and even to an extent what language one is reading in.

Last edited:
Maybe, I can see that. When a person uses a different computer application to accomplish a similar task as another application, they start thinking differently. What actually constitutes a 'personality' is kind of subjective.

Forum List

Back