Who are the most admirable members of the Tea Party Caucus?

Discussion in 'Tea Party' started by Amelia, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    The Tea Party Caucus has a number of members who make the news for negative reasons. From the merely gaffe-prone to the hypocritical to the over-the-top disgraceful.

If you are a fan of this group, I invite you to put in a good word for one or more of the members. I'd like to hear some good things to maybe dislodge the bad images. I don't have ready access to conservative news outlets such as Fox, so I might have missed something which is common knowledge to you.

TIA

Tea Party Caucus Members, according to Wikipedia

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. Interpol

Interpol Radical Centrist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +731
    I'm basically a moderate conservative who also has moderate liberal views.

I've had a hard time dealing with the TeePee's because of their position on things versus what it is they get done.

It's the curse of governing; what you say is put up against what you do.

I'm a deficit hawk. The Tea Party talks about this, but then they get elected and try to pass dozens of abortion bills and defunding Planned Parenthood and all this other nonsense. Then they're uncompromising on the debt package and only sign off on less than half of the amount they were aiming for. I mean, I'm just not used to seeing this kind of "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" with Republicans.

Over the last several weeks it's become clear that they're now reneging on the stuff they agreed to last summer. I mean, what's going on here?

I admire Ron Paul. I think it is obvious that he should be in charge of the Federal Reserve.

He's open and accountable, and when he speaks of values like responsibility, you just trust him. He has gravitas and he doesn't lie about what he knows. I don't know that he'd be a good President, but as someone who could help America to understand what the Fed is and how it works and what we could do about it, Paul would be the perfect person to help bring that discussion forward.

I respect the views of social conservatives, but what I have a problem with is when anyone tries to legislate social values that go against the concept of "individual liberty". I don't believe that laws on abortion reduce or increase the amount of abortions.

I say stop bombing Planned Parenthood and start educating our young people well. What makes our society better than most is that we don't adhere to our religious fundamentalists, like in Iran or elsewhere. When our Pope says something like we don't believe in contraception, we sort of nod in agreement at the old chap, meanwhile our women are on birth control and the men are on boner pills, and people these days seem to be relatively okay with that except for about a third of the country, which wants to make sex as dangerous as possible.

If life begins at conception, than allowing for a young woman to prevent unwanted conception appears to me to be an individual freedom that ought to be allowed to her and her alone.

Now get this, I think that's a perfectly conservative way of thinking.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  3. Interpol

Interpol Radical Centrist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +731
    So anyway, I admire Ron Paul.

I'm trying to think of any other TeePee's I admire, but none come to mind at the moment.

I started out by liking Paul Ryan, but how can such a young man be so rigid? His plan on Medicare is fairy tale. And it's not conservative. The donut hole in the funding gap of it would be enormous.

I thought Michele Bachmann was kind of vivacious at first until she showed that she was on a vendetta as well. And now that she's in there, and the rest of them are there, they have to account for the fact that they're not getting things done.

I guess I just don't understand the adversarial nature of things. In my line of work I relate with liberals and conservatives. Work with both of 'em, get shit done.

It's a split Congress, folks, and things work best if you get about half of what you want, and you let the other guys get about half of what they want, and then the President signs off on it and there we are with the beginning of a real debt package.

Raising taxes to just blow it on more spending is bad, but modest increases in order to help bring down our deficits is something I see as a conservative thing to do. I mean, I just can't square it that if your job is to make money from your investments, than that's your job and your tax rate should be where anyone else's should be depending on what you make.

Isn't that basic fairness?

I like Rubio personally, but I just don't disagree with some key things he and the Tea Partiers are doing versus what it is they said they were all about doing 2 years ago.

We need leadership right now, not culture wars and bickering and in-fighting.

Talking about efficient gov't and limted gov't is all nice and good, but what's admirable is when you can brainstorm some ideas that are interesting and persuasive, and so far I have found that the Tea Party is far less Ron Paul and much more Rick Santorum for my liking.

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,417
    I've met with Joe Walsh on a couple of occasions. I'm impressed.

5. bayoubill

bayoubill aka Sheik Yerbouti... Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    I like the concept of the Tea Party...

but most all of the TP'ers in the public spotlight come off as dumb motherfuckers and/or opportunistic jerks...

6. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,469
    I have not met the man. I have seen and heard him interviewed on several occasions, though. It has been a while, but I don't recall being impressed at all with him as a result.

Could you elaborate regarding what it is that impressed you about him?

7. WEthePEOPLE1776

WEthePEOPLE1776 Correction Day Nov. 06

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well then you've bought into the crap the media wants you to see.

8. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,417
    The guy is a hoot. Energetic, optimistic, smart and witty. Engaging, informed, eager to learn more, and eager to help commerce in his state (IL) and the U.S. He's pro-business, pro-hydrocarbon, and pro-jobs. Real jobs, not pretend government jobs.

9. Buford

Buford BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I like Alan West and I think he would be a good VP choice.

10. Billo_Really

Billo_Really Litre of the Band

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    The "bagger nation" are the dumbest members of our society.