White man slaps screaming black kid - No injury - Gets 8 months in prison

The dude was totally wrong for what he did and should receive punishment for it... but prison time? Sounds like a prosecuting attorney is up for reelection and wants to appear tough on crime. Don't misunderstand where I'm coming from; the guy was totally wrong for what he did, but locking him up with some of the worst society has to offer is extreme. Don't waste a bed on this guy when there are plenty of people who should be sleeping there.

IMHO.

Sounds more like the judge doesn't want to get killed.

I can't argue that. The sentence is what it is.

A guy who has such poor impulse control that he slaps a CHILD like this guy did probably needs a time out before he does something truly stupid. Hopefully he gets some counseling and this is the last of it from him.

The dude was totally wrong for what he did and should receive punishment for it... but prison time? Sounds like a prosecuting attorney is up for reelection and wants to appear tough on crime.

IMHO.

That's what i say. No one is saying the slapper was in the right. But he deserved a suspended 1 year sentence and a $2000 fine.

Schools still use corporal punishment and teachers assault them on a daily basis.

Which schools are those?

Since your hands are broken and you can't use Google here is a map:

CORPORAL PUNISHMENT (PADDLING) IN AMERICAN SCHOOLS

This lengthy link says >> "The US Supreme Court decided in 1977 that spanking or paddling by schools is lawful where it has not been explicitly outlawed by local authorities."

Question might be since paddling definitely is a battery, where in the US is this NOT explicitly outlawed ? I know of no state where battery is legal, and in Florida, just a slight unrequested touching (such as a light tap on the shoulder) qualifies as a battery.
Strange how this could be legal anywhere.

Which schools are those?

This lengthy link says >> "The US Supreme Court decided in 1977 that spanking or paddling by schools is lawful where it has not been explicitly outlawed by local authorities."

Question might be since paddling definitely is a battery, where in the US is this NOT explicitly outlawed ? I know of no state where battery is legal, and in Florida, just a slight unrequested touching (such as a light tap on the shoulder) qualifies as a battery.

Corporal punishment is not battery any more than killing in self defense is murder. Legal terms have definitions.

If you gave your baby sitter permission to spank your child and they did they are not guilty of battery . Same with schools in states where corporal punishment is legal.

The latest numbers I could find from 2008 by the way show that corporal punishment is legal in 20 states, but rarely used.

Corporal Punishment in Public Schools, by State | Infoplease.com

Corporal punishment is not battery any more than killing in self defense is murder. Legal terms have definitions.

If you gave your baby sitter permission to spank your child and they did they are not guilty of battery . Same with schools in states where corporal punishment is legal.

The latest numbers I could find from 2008 by the way show that corporal punishment is legal in 20 states, but rarely used.

Yes legal terms have definitions. Here is the definition of battery in the state of Florida >>

Title XLVI - CRIMES - Chapter 784
ASSAULT; BATTERY; CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE

784.03 Battery;
(1)(a) The offense of battery occurs when a person:
1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or
2. Intentionally causes bodily harm to another person.

Paddling fits this to a T. If a parent tells a babysitter it's OK to hit a child, then by this law, BOTH the babysitter AND that parent ought to be guilty of battery.

BTW - battery in Florida is a 1st degree misdemeanor (1 year in County jail). But a battery on a senior citizen (65 or older), as occurs in nursing homes at times, is a 3rd degree felony (5 years in a state prison)

I said before "Strange how this could be legal anywhere." I say it again.

PS - you analogy was a poor one. Corporal punishment has nothing in common with self-defense. A corporal punisher is, in no way acting defensevly, and there are plenty of ways to punish, without doing what meets the definition of a battery.

Last edited:

Yes legal terms have definitions. Here is the definition of battery in the state of Florida >>

Title XLVI - CRIMES - Chapter 784
ASSAULT; BATTERY; CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE

784.03 Battery;
(1)(a) The offense of battery occurs when a person:
1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or
2. Intentionally causes bodily harm to another person.

Paddling fits this to a T. If a parent tells a babysitter it's OK to hit a child, then by this law, BOTH the babysitter AND that parent ought to be guilty of battery.

BTW - battery in Florida is a 1st degree misdemeanor (1 year in County jail). But a battery on a senior citizen (65 or older), as occurs in nursing homes at times, is a 3rd degree felony (5 years in a state prison)

I said before "Strange how this could be legal anywhere." I say it again.

PS - you analogy was a poor one. Corporal punishment has nothing in common with self-defense. A corporal punisher is, in no way acting defensevly, and there are plenty of ways to punish, without doing what meets the definition of a battery.

Who said corporal punishment had anything in common with self defense outside of being legal terms?

Corporal punishment is an EXCEPTION to the battery laws when administered by an adult authorized to do so by the parents or guardians of the minor.

My assistant high school principal was about 6'5", 250 and swung a 38 inch paddle drilled full of holes. You would have to go into his office, stand at the end of the desk, bend over and grab the edge of the desk with both hands and hold on.

You could hear the whoosh of air through all those holes before the strike. The strike itself would just about lift you off your feet. If you got more than three paddles, you were hurt.

I visited the assistant principals office more than I should have. And no one ever talked about putting HIM in jail.

But my parents sure had a hard time figuring out why I couldn't do right and stay out of his office.

Today.....he would get 5 - 10 years in prison. No matter what the kid did to deserve the beating. And that is what it was, a beating with a paddle. But on less critical areas than your head.

My Dad would have been in jail to. Those belts leave marks.

Must not of been easy dealing with me as a kid.

I raised three kids. Paddled one with my hand one time.

Times change. Kids do to. And not all the changes are for the better.

Had he gotten zero jail time [MENTION=33194]PredFan[/MENTION] would be claiming victory.

When will you get over the butthurt?
Hopefully not soon, it's entertaining watching you act so foolish.

You'll note, [MENTION=33194]PredFan[/MENTION] didn't deny it.

Deny what? I haven't even read this thread dumbass. I only responded because you tagged me.:cuckoo:

Btw, George Zimmerman is still free and the worthless thug is still dead. I thought you needed to know.

My assistant high school principal was about 6'5", 250 and swung a 38 inch paddle drilled full of holes. You would have to go into his office, stand at the end of the desk, bend over and grab the edge of the desk with both hands and hold on.

You could hear the whoosh of air through all those holes before the strike. The strike itself would just about lift you off your feet. If you got more than three paddles, you were hurt.

I visited the assistant principals office more than I should have. And no one ever talked about putting HIM in jail.

But my parents sure had a hard time figuring out why I couldn't do right and stay out of his office.

Today.....he would get 5 - 10 years in prison. No matter what the kid did to deserve the beating. And that is what it was, a beating with a paddle. But on less critical areas than your head.

My Dad would have been in jail to. Those belts leave marks.

Must not of been easy dealing with me as a kid.

I raised three kids. Paddled one with my hand one time.

Times change. Kids do to. And not all the changes are for the better.

There was a first grader I know (not my child) who was beaten so badly by his teacher that the print of his underwear was on his bloody (literally) butt. Parents took him to ER. Police were called. Teacher was not charged, never disciplined, never lost her job. But according to the authorities 'it was listed as a child abuse case.'

Teachers work for the government. As do the police. They all stick together.

I am specifically talking about on airplanes. In this confined space the kids are driving them crazy, and it is obvious how much they are bothering the other passengers. It is funny, you give a person who hits a baby and calls it a ****** a pass, but not someone who is being negligent about their kids in a restaurant. This speaks volumes about you.

As usual, frothing leftists have problems with comprehension. As far as I know it's not a crime to allow your kid to be a roving pig in public.

I'm nearly 100% certain you have no clue what I meant when I wrote that, so save both of us the headache and move along.

One of us did not understand.

If the kid in the restaurant is bothering you, you can always leave. Not so with the kid on the airplane.

The dude was totally wrong for what he did and should receive punishment for it... but prison time? Sounds like a prosecuting attorney is up for reelection and wants to appear tough on crime.

IMHO.

That's what i say. No one is saying the slapper was in the right. But he deserved a suspended 1 year sentence and a $2000 fine.

Bullshit, people have been defending him throughout the entire thread.

If same act were happen in Pakistan the baby would be in prison instead of man who slapped

More affirmative action BS. If the races were reversed, the slapper would have been a hero.

Man Who Slapped Toddler on Flight from Mpls. Sentenced to 8 months | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

01/06/2014
A federal judge on Monday sentenced a man who pleaded guilty to slapping a crying toddler on an Atlanta-bound flight to serve eight months in federal prison.

Joe Rickey Hundley was accused of using a racial slur to refer to the 19-month-old boy, who's black, and hitting him under the eye as the flight from Minneapolis descended to the Atlanta airport last February. He pleaded guilty in October to simple assault after reaching a plea agreement with prosecutors.

Hundley, who lived in Idaho at the time, was on a Delta flight from Minneapolis to Atlanta on Feb. 8 and was seated in a window seat next to Bennett, who was sitting in the aisle seat and had her 19-month-old son on her lap, according to court filings.

As the plane descended into Atlanta, the child started crying. Hundley leaned over to Bennett and "told her to shut that (N-word) baby up," according to a sworn statement from an FBI agent who investigated the incident. Bennett asked Hundley what he had said, and he leaned in with his face next to hers and said it again, prosecutors have said.

Hundley then slapped the child's face, leaving a scratch below his right eye, the FBI agent's statement says.

Hundley's only son was in a coma in Atlanta after an insulin overdose that was the result of a suspected suicide attempt, Shein has said. Hundley had spent the prior day talking to his ex-wife and doctors after his son was declared brain dead, Shein said, and he booked a last-minute flight to Atlanta so he and his ex-wife could take their son off life support.

"I made the most terrible day in my life much worse for me and for others," Hundley told the judge.

Absolute bullshit claim on your part.

One thing I know. If some stranger had slapped my child when they were small, they would have been in the hospital for at least 8 months before any trials.

This guy got off lucky. And the shit he said showed his motivations.

Forum List

Back