White liberals talk down to blacks

Correll

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2015
Interesting study. Not really a surprise to anyone.

White Liberals Present Themselves as Less Competent in Interactions with African-Americans

The team found that Democratic candidates used fewer competence-related words in speeches delivered to mostly minority audiences than they did in speeches delivered to mostly white audiences.The difference wasn’t statistically significant in speeches by Republican candidates, ..."

“It was really surprising to see that for nearly three decades, Democratic presidential candidates have been engaging in this predicted behavior.”

With this preliminary evidence in hand, the researchers set out to further test their ideas..."

On regular individuals.

"The researchers found that liberal individuals were less likely to use words that would make them appear highly competent when the person they were addressing was presumed to be black rather than white. No significant differences were seen in the word selection of conservatives based on the presumed race of their partner. “It was kind of an unpleasant surprise to see this subtle but persistent effect,” Dupree says. “Even if it’s ultimately well-intentioned, it could be seen as patronizing.” "

Excellent finding on soft racism, or "low expectations".

White Liberals Present Themselves as Less Competent in Interactions with African-Americans

The team found that Democratic candidates used fewer competence-related words in speeches delivered to mostly minority audiences than they did in speeches delivered to mostly white audiences.The difference wasn’t statistically significant in speeches by Republican candidates, ..."

“It was really surprising to see that for nearly three decades, Democratic presidential candidates have been engaging in this predicted behavior.”

With this preliminary evidence in hand, the researchers set out to further test their ideas..."

On regular individuals.

"The researchers found that liberal individuals were less likely to use words that would make them appear highly competent when the person they were addressing was presumed to be black rather than white. No significant differences were seen in the word selection of conservatives based on the presumed race of their partner. “It was kind of an unpleasant surprise to see this subtle but persistent effect,” Dupree says. “Even if it’s ultimately well-intentioned, it could be seen as patronizing.” "

---- so you're saying these "white Liberals" don't have a great relationship with "the blacks"?

On regular individuals.

---- so you're saying these "white Liberals" don't have a great relationship with "the blacks"?
/----/ Yes, you are correct.
Big African-American Support for GOP in Florida and Georgia Enrages the Left
Nov 26, 2018

RUSH: Oh. A couple interesting stories here, too, related to the elections in Georgia and Florida. In Florida, an analysis of exit poll data shows that Ron DeSantis, the Republican and winner, got a far greater percentage of the African-American vote and Hispanic vote than anybody can believe. In Georgia, Kemp got more African-American votes than anybody imagined, and African-American organizations in Georgia are ticked and livid about this. They’re calling these black people that voted for Kemp traitors and who knows, Uncle Toms.

On regular individuals.

/----/ Yes, you are correct.
Big African-American Support for GOP in Florida and Georgia Enrages the Left
Nov 26, 2018

RUSH: Oh. A couple interesting stories here, too, related to the elections in Georgia and Florida. In Florida, an analysis of exit poll data shows that Ron DeSantis, the Republican and winner, got a far greater percentage of the African-American vote and Hispanic vote than anybody can believe. In Georgia, Kemp got more African-American votes than anybody imagined, and African-American organizations in Georgia are ticked and livid about this. They’re calling these black people that voted for Kemp traitors and who knows, Uncle Toms.

That flew right over your head, didn't it.

Here's a hint: watch the quote marks.
Here's another hint: "Look at my African American over there"....

On regular individuals.

I'm posting a link to a scientific study showing that liberals talk to blacks at a lower level than to whites.

I made no comment about how this effects teh relationship the liberals have with blacks.

On regular individuals.

I'm posting a link to a scientific study showing that liberals talk to blacks at a lower level than to whites.

I made no comment about how this effects teh relationship the liberals have with blacks.

Good point. I was of course paraphrasing and trying to stay as close to the original as possible.

So what do you think of "talking to blacks at a lower level" such as "look at my African American over here" or "I have a very good relationship with the blacks"?

Meanwhile --- you do know what "mirroring" means, right? See next post.

This study is assnine and stupid ..

I talk to different people in different ways..

On regular individuals.

they treat blacks like fking pigs.

They do it to whites too..."Can I get me a huntin' license heah?"

That's "ah".
"Kin ah git me a huntin' lahsince"
Indeed....But the point is made...They talk down to just about anyone and everyone.

That's not necessarily "down"; it's called (again) "mirroring".

Another example oft cited on this cite is the purported LBJ quote "Sam, why won't you let this ****** bill pass?". It's a subliminal communication level underneath the words. It's a gesture of solidarity to build rapport with the other party.

Actually the OP article, which is quite interesting, isn't about speech, it's about vocabulary used in emails to unknown persons and the ass-sumptions made on the basis of the unknown's name.

A hot girl " hey baby"

A judge or cop " yes sir"

A friend " you stupid fuck head"

On regular individuals.

Good point. I was of course paraphrasing and trying to stay as close to the original as possible.

So what do you think of "talking to blacks at a lower level" such as "look at my African American over here" or "I have a very good relationship with the blacks"?

Meanwhile --- you do know what "mirroring" means, right?

My interest in this study is the difference between liberals who talk down to blacks and conservatives who do NOT.

I think it shows that liberals have a lower opinion of blacks than conservatives do.

And no, I'm not familiar with "mirroring". You are welcome to inform me, if you wish.

That's not necessarily "down"; it's called (again) "mirroring".

Actually the OP article, which is quite interesting, isn't about speech, it's about vocabulary used in emails to unknown persons and the ass-sumptions made on the basis of the unknown's name.
It's not mirroring when you have no idea that the other person speaks in such a manner, which would require you yo interact with them for more time than Lurch did with the clerk at the sporting goods store in this example.

Again, it's a prime example of leftist snobbery, and the perceived need to talk down to people they that feel are beneath their lofty station in life.

What else is new with the elitist entitled liberal establishment? Provided their assumed voting block remains on the plantation, beholding to them, they see no reason to change a proven successful tactic. As stated, this is not only about those of color its universal. This is how they differentiate themselves from the masses and assume superiority.

Forum List

Back