CDZ White House (Obama) Proclaims AI Robotics to Take Half of all Jobs

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I do not see that actually coming to pass. I just don't see how people will stand for it.
BTW, as a Machinist (?), if I remember correctly, I do understand why you would be quite wary of automation, and AI, as your field will likely be one of the first to go.
Yes, I was a machinist for my Physics Department for a couple of years and I worked at a sprocket making company for another two years and did my own machine set ups before I left.

As a holder of a computer science degree with a specialization in Information technology, I am more informed than most people as this is an avocation for me. I love reading about what is going on and I hope to make my own robots one day.

We are facing one of several logical paths ahead, as I can best analyze this oncoming series of events.

1. We do nothing and the robots are used to do everything and people are just left to starve. What would follow that is eventual revolution and the longer it would take for that revolution to manifest is directly proportional to the level of violence and the vindictiveness the revolutionaries will exact on the defeated elites.

2. We ban all further development by law of robots and they are never allowed to become functional androids capable of skilled human labor. This would protect the human beings in advanced skilled labor, but does nothing to protect laborers south of the 90 IQ required for any kind of skilled labor. That too will become problematic.

3. Instead of trying to squelch the continued advancement of our technology we allow corporations to have free development of any form of robotic labor that they might develop, however, they have to pay a special robot taxes that would still be a windfall of profit for them, and at he same time will provide continued funding for the government and security for the population through a Universal Basic Income that will provide a minimum income for everyone that will let them get the essentials to have survival in humane conditions that will be better than that given to prisoners today. Ten people will be able to build on top of that UBI supplemental incomes and make handicrafts for barter that gives their lives a sense of fulfillment.

Perhaps this is another response as humans become more cyborg like.

Super humans that are sexier, stronger and smarter will arrive by 2029 as brains begin to fuse with machines, Google expert claims
Ray Kurzweil has made 147 predictions since 1990 and is correct 86% of the time
By 2029 our brains fuse with machines - an event known as singularity
He says machines will exemplify what we value in humans to a greater degree
Machines are already making us smarter and will move inside our brains soon​

Singularity will create super humans, Google expert claims | Daily Mail Online

A modern home built in one day with 3d print technology

Chinese are way ahead of us now, and have the ability to 3d print 10 houses in one day with one machine.

Scientists use graphene to power 'electronic skin' that can feel

Scientists have found a way to power an experimental kind of electronic skin using solar energy in a further step towards the development of prosthetic limbs or robots with a sense of touch.

Teams around the world are working to develop flexible versions of synthetic skin that can feel by mimicking the different kinds of sensory receptors found in human skin.

Powering such systems is a challenge, but now researchers at the University of Glasgow's School of Engineering have developed a way to use graphene, an ultra-thin form of carbon, to generate electricity via solar power.

Graphene, which is just one atom thick, is strong, highly flexible, electrically conductive and transparent, making it ideal for gathering the sun's energy to generate power, the scientists said on Thursday.

Smart prosthetic hands, in particular, can already reproduce many mechanical properties of human limbs and giving them a skin-like sense of touch would make them even more useful for amputees.

Touch-sensitive electronic skin could also be used in robots to enhance performance and help the machines detect potential dangers when interacting with humans.​

Robot revolution will put millions out of work and force governments to bring in human quotas, top lawyers warn

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINES
Robot revolution will put millions out of work and force governments to bring in human quotas, top lawyers warn
Experts say robots will obliterate human employment in several industries and leave millions of people unemployed

THE ROBOTIC revolution’s devastating effect on human employment will force governments to bring in human job quotas, experts have warned.
A report from The International Bar Association, a global organisation for lawyers, found that the technological revolution will destroy the workplace as we know it.
Pascale Lagesse, Co-Chair of the International Bar Association, which represents lawyers across the world, issued a chilling warning that artificial intelligence, robotics and automation would “without doubt” bring about changes in society “in every sector and in every nation”.
He added: “This fourth industrial revolution will concurrently destroy and create jobs and paradoxically benefit and impair workers in ways that are not entirely clear or not yet imagined.”
This means that the law will have to change to cater for human workers’ rights and ensure low income families are supported.
We are already beginning to see how machines could nab labour intensive jobs.
A US company is planning to bring a fleet of robo-brickies, which promise to work "harder and faster" than humans, to the UK.
And machines are expected to replace 250,000 civil servants to save taxpayers billions by 2030.

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINES
Experts say robots will obliterate human employment in several industries and leave millions of people unemployed

THE ROBOTIC revolution’s devastating effect on human employment will force governments to bring in human job quotas, experts have warned.
A report from The International Bar Association, a global organisation for lawyers, found that the technological revolution will destroy the workplace as we know it.
Pascale Lagesse, Co-Chair of the International Bar Association, which represents lawyers across the world, issued a chilling warning that artificial intelligence, robotics and automation would “without doubt” bring about changes in society “in every sector and in every nation”.
He added: “This fourth industrial revolution will concurrently destroy and create jobs and paradoxically benefit and impair workers in ways that are not entirely clear or not yet imagined.”
This means that the law will have to change to cater for human workers’ rights and ensure low income families are supported.
We are already beginning to see how machines could nab labour intensive jobs.
A US company is planning to bring a fleet of robo-brickies, which promise to work "harder and faster" than humans, to the UK.
And machines are expected to replace 250,000 civil servants to save taxpayers billions by 2030.
Two problems with this:
First, and likely most important, what do a bunch of lawyers know about how robotics/AI will impact economies?
Second, you still have yet to provide any evidence that robotics/AI will fundamentally change the human desire to be productive and better one's "lot in life".

Two problems with this:
First, and likely most important, what do a bunch of lawyers know about how robotics/AI will impact economies?

Has that ever even slowed down a government bureaucrat?

Second, you still have yet to provide any evidence that robotics/AI will fundamentally change the human desire to be productive and better one's "lot in life".

Sure I have.

Do I need to spoon feed it to you?

Robots will be, 1) just as capable as any skilled worker or degreed professional once advanced 'Strong AI' rolls out on android, and 2) they will only cost around $2000 per android.

Do the math, connect the dots, figger it out, broski.

Two problems with this:

Sure I have.

Do I need to spoon feed it to you?

Robots will be, 1) just as capable as any skilled worker or degreed professional once advanced 'Strong AI' rolls out on android, and 2) they will only cost around $2000 per android.

Do the math, connect the dots, figger it out, broski.
No, I don't believe it has. Wasn't this the Bar Assoc. though? Thought that was private, though I could be mistaken.
All that does is show how robotics/AI will take over jobs currently being done by humans, it does nothing to demonstrate why humans would quit being productive in new and innovative ways. That is the concept that you have never addressed. What will stop this desire to be productive and turn us into an unproductive species?

All that does is show how robotics/AI will take over jobs currently being done by humans, it does nothing to demonstrate why humans would quit being productive in new and innovative ways. That is the concept that you have never addressed. What will stop this desire to be productive and turn us into an unproductive species?

Yes, humans that adapt the new technology as modifications to their own bodies and become cyborgs will remain competitive to a degree, sure.

But you are making an appeal to the unknown by saying that there are some toot fairy jobs that will magically appear out of Pixie Dust.

Yes, new jobs will arise, but few of them will be better done or more cheaply done by human beings instead of Strong AI Androids.

But you are making an appeal to the unknown by saying that there are some toot fairy jobs that will magically appear out of Pixie Dust.
No, not "pixie dust", nor "magically". History has shown time after time after time, that when new tsch puts people out of a job, they find new ways to be productive. What will change this? It's a simple question. Do you have an answer or not?

No, not "pixie dust", nor "magically". History has shown time after time after time, that when new tsch puts people out of a job, they find new ways to be productive. What will change this? It's a simple question. Do you have an answer or not?
Yes, and I have answered repeatedly.

This new Strong AI tech is the first new tech that, for the very first time in history, will be able to program, manufacture, install and maintain itself and any other new technology that comes later.

Which means that as the technology matures, in a few years, there will be exactly ZERO jobs produced.

How upgrading humans will become the next billion-dollar industry

Alphabet’s GOOG, -0.39% GOOGL, -0.35% Google already has a unit devoted to overcoming death, Harari noted. And who can doubt that Apple AAPL, -0.22% will want to pick from this new tree of knowledge, as well, or that after conquering self-driving cars Uber, in spite of the antics of its CEO, will want to build an Übermensch?

As new technologies yield humans with much longer battery lives, killer apps and godlike superpowers, within the next six decades, if Harari is right, even the finest human specimens of 2017 will in hindsight seem like flip phones.

There is, of course, a catch. Many of us will remain flip phones, as the technology to upgrade humans to iPhones is likely to be costly, and regulated differently around the world. These advances will likely “lead to greater income inequality than ever before,” Harari said. “For the first time in history it will be possible to translate economic inequality into biological inequality.”

Such a divide could give rise to a new version of “old racist ideologies that some races are naturally superior to others,” Harari said. “Except this time the biological differences will be real, something that is engineered and manufactured.”​

Robots are getting better at teaching other robots how to do things. Oh.

Teaching a robot how to do something is usually done by either programming it to perform a specific task, or demonstrating that task for the robot to observe and imitate. The latter method, however, so far hasn't been accurate enough for robots to be able to transfer their knowledge to other robots.

That's changing, however, thanks to researchers from MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) and a their new teaching method, called C-LEARN. That could have far-reaching consequences by making it easier for non-programmers to teach robots how to perform certain tasks. Even better, it allows robots to teach other robots how to perform the same tasks.

The system does this by giving the robot a knowledge base with information on how to reach and grab different objects. Then, using a 3D interface, the robot is shown a single demo on how to, say, pick up a cylinder or open a door. The task is divided into important moments called "keyframes" — steps that robot needs to take in order to correctly perform the task.

AI detective analyses police data to learn how to crack cases

MOVE over, Sherlock. UK police are trialling a computer system that can piece together what might have happened at a crime scene. The idea is that the system, called VALCRI, will be able to do the laborious parts of a crime analyst’s job in seconds, freeing them to focus on the case, while also provoking new lines of enquiry and possible narratives that may have been missed.

“Everyone thinks policing is about connecting the dots, but that’s the easy bit,” says William Wong, who leads the project at Middlesex University London. “The hard part is working out which dots need to be connected.”

VALCRI’s main job is to help generate plausible ideas about how, when and why a crime was committed as well as who did it. It scans millions of police records, interviews, pictures, videos and more, to identify connections that it thinks are relevant. All of this is then presented on two large touchscreens for a crime analyst to interact with.

Spotting patterns
The system might spot that shell casings were found at several recent crime scenes including the one the police are focusing on now, for example. “An analyst can then say whether this is relevant or not and VALCRI will adjust the results,” says Neesha Kodagoda, also at Middlesex. Thanks to machine learning, the system improves its searches on the basis of such interactions with analysts, who can raise or lower the importance of different sets of criteria with a swipe.

Richard Branson also calls for a Universal Basic Income. I think it must be a national program, adapted to local conditions and costs of living, however.

Billionaire Richard Branson weighs in on the idea of free cash handouts

Branson suggests that the idea of free cash handouts deserves further research and exploration.

"In the modern world, everybody should have the opportunity to work and to thrive," he says. "One idea that could help make this a reality is a universal basic income. This concept should be further explored to see how it can work practically."

Branson references the universal basic income experiment currently underway in Finland, where a €560 payment (the equivalent of about $655) replaces other social benefits and is still given out even after an individual finds a job.

"The initiative aims to reduce unemployment and poverty while cutting red tape, allowing people to pursue the dignity and purpose of work without the fear of losing their benefits by taking a low-paid job," Branson says.

However, it's worth noting that the viability of the study has been called into question.

He and other leaders talked about the idea of universal basic income at a meeting of The Elders in Finland this year, he says. The Elders is a group of distinguished thought leaders including Jimmy Carter and Kofi Annan.​

Richard Branson also calls for a Universal Basic Income. I think it must be a national program, adapted to local conditions and costs of living, however.

Billionaire Richard Branson weighs in on the idea of free cash handouts

Branson suggests that the idea of free cash handouts deserves further research and exploration.

"In the modern world, everybody should have the opportunity to work and to thrive," he says. "One idea that could help make this a reality is a universal basic income. This concept should be further explored to see how it can work practically."

Branson references the universal basic income experiment currently underway in Finland, where a €560 payment (the equivalent of about $655) replaces other social benefits and is still given out even after an individual finds a job.

"The initiative aims to reduce unemployment and poverty while cutting red tape, allowing people to pursue the dignity and purpose of work without the fear of losing their benefits by taking a low-paid job," Branson says.

However, it's worth noting that the viability of the study has been called into question.

He and other leaders talked about the idea of universal basic income at a meeting of The Elders in Finland this year, he says. The Elders is a group of distinguished thought leaders including Jimmy Carter and Kofi Annan.​

If it's only his money, he's welcome to do anything he wants.

(as long as it's legal)

Forum List

Back