CDZ White House (Obama) Proclaims AI Robotics to Take Half of all Jobs

A Strong AI program does as it is programmed to do and not to leave those paths and decisions.

I think you must use the term "strong AI" (SAI) differently than I do. I use the term to refer to the notion that a "machine's intellectual capability is functionally equal to a human's."
Aspiring to that definitional goal of SAI, how could SAI not make "conscious" choices to abandon one course of action and pursue another. Indeed, SAI, like humans, would sure have to learn to try things and scrap or modify them if they aren't yielding the desired outcomes.

Until complete omniscience is achieved, even SAI will eventually reach a point where it's in "uncharted waters" and it will have to go with the most likely best choice, which still may not be the actual best choice. I know it's hard for us to conceive that point of "where no SAI has gone before," but it's there somewhere. I suspect where it is has to do with humanity as humans are quite unpredictable and can't be relied upon to behave in a given way.

If i program an app to register the temperature of a thermometer and then say that whatever it got stuck in is good food, it is not tasting the food and really evaluating it and we all understand that.

That is all Strong AI is; a complex SIMULATION of human behavior, but given its intrinsic limitations on shifting focus, it does not have Free Will, no matter how well it can emulate human learning and behavior otherwise.

That is just my opinion, though and of course you are equally entitled to your own.

I dont mean to belittle you or what you say here. The question of Free Will I think is central to what makes us human beings and sentient. We have moral responsibility and Strong AI does not.

Do you think that Strong AI robots should be punished for breaking the law?

I want to distinguish between two different things that I have in mind. One is intelligence and the other is sentience. I dont think that they are the same thing at all.

All animals have intelligence on a gray scale from a slug to a human being and many animals are much closer to human beings than to the rest of the kingdom.

But sentience is not just intelligence it is a Free Will capable intelligence that bears moral and legal responsibility.

I doubt that any one is ever going to take Strong AI beyond the category of "Super intelligent" and into "Free Will consciousness".

Does that make more sense?

Have a great weekend.

Except for the jobs necessary to design, build, install, and maintain the robots.

Most of the high paying jobs like that are easily out-sourced. They already are; no need to educate anybody, and in fact dumbing down the population even more is desirable from the executive suite points of view, which is why that has been the trend for a long time now. It's a deliberate policy. When demand for anything falls, so does the need for skilled labor as well.

Only if we lose the lead in 21st Century Manufacturing technology are those jobs outsourced. Here's the deal. Robotic manufacturing is nothing more then more sophisticated tools in the tool box. The tasks that they perform RELIABLY are the ones not requiring judgement, craft, innovation, or creativity.

Means that the definition of "a job" in the 21st Century changes. People have to be inventive, multi-talented and and flexible. That's not Darwinism. That's liberation.

A kid in the inner city can have MORE recording, music creation equipment in a $300 box than ANY of the recording studios in the 70s had. I have more engineering CAD and computing power in my small product design consultant lab than any Fortune 500 company had in the early 80s. A homemaker can buy a 3D chocolate printer and serve all the NICHE MARKETS that any big company would ignore. That's liberation and SERVING more obscure corners of market demands than has EVER been available to mankind before.

We blew it. The plan for "globalization" was to let Bangladesh make the basketballs while we created 21st Century manufacturing and INNOVATED. But people were NOT trained and conditioned to innovate and become entrepreneurs. They were still schooled to be robots. We don't need folks to put 1500 flea size components on a printed circuit board 280 times a day. We need folks to invent and DESIGN the products.

Don't tell me that most Burger King employees could not be entrepreneurs and engineers or crafts peoples or artists or designers of useful goods. It takes a sea change in the attitude about "serving others" .. That's really what a "job" is...

Robots poised to take over wide range of military jobs

The wave of automation that swept away tens of thousands of American manufacturing and office jobs during the past two decades is now washing over the armed forces, putting both rear-echelon and front-line positions in jeopardy.

“Just as in the civilian economy, automation will likely have a big impact on military organizations in logistics and manufacturing,” said Michael Horowitz, a University of Pennsylvania professor and one of the globe’s foremost experts on weaponized robots.

“The U.S. military is very likely to pursue forms of automation that reduce ‘back-office’ costs over time, as well as remove soldiers from non-combat deployments where they might face risk from adversaries on fluid battlefields, such as in transportation.”

Driver-less vehicles poised to take taxi, train and truck driver jobs in the civilian sector also could nab many combat-support slots in the Army.

Robocops, anyone?

Hacked robots could attack humans, burgle people's homes and KILL their pets, experts warn

During the past six months, IOActive’s researchers tested mobile applications, robot operating systems, firmware images, and other software in order to identify the flaws in several robots that are available to buy right now, which the Sun have decided not to name.

They found that several of the robots could be hacked remotely.

Hacked robots "are more dangerous" than hacked computers because the addition of arms, legs or wheels could cause serious harm, IOActive claimed.

In a report, released on Wednesday, IOActive's Cesar Cerrudo wrote: "A hacked robot operating inside a home might spy on a family via the robot’s microphones and cameras.

"An attacker could also use a robot’s mobility to cause physical damage in the house.​

AI Scientists Gather to Plot Doomsday Scenarios (and Solutions)

In many cases, little imagination was required -- scenarios like technology being used to sway elections or new cyber attacks using AI are being seen in the real world, or are at least technically possible. Horvitz cited research that shows how to alter the way a self-driving car sees traffic signs so that the vehicle misreads a "stop" sign as "yield.''

The possibility of intelligent, automated cyber attacks is the one that most worries John Launchbury, who directs one of the offices at the U.S.'s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, and Kathleen Fisher, chairwoman of the computer science department at Tufts University, who led that session. What happens if someone constructs a cyber weapon designed to hide itself and evade all attempts to dismantle it? Now imagine it spreads beyond its intended target to the broader internet. Think Stuxnet, the computer virus created to attack the Iranian nuclear program that got out in the wild, but stealthier and more autonomous.

"We're talking about malware on steroids that is AI-enabled," said Fisher, who is an expert in programming languages. Fisher presented her scenario under a slide bearing the words "What could possibly go wrong?" which could have also served as a tagline for the whole event.

Well, I think they under-estimate the impact of this.

White House: Robots may take half of our jobs, and we should embrace it

But the authors of the report acknowledge that there are countless unknowns, from what the effects could be, to how quickly they’ll arrive.

“Researchers’ estimates on the scale of threatened jobs over the next decade or two range from 9% to 47%,” they write, but add that the economy has always proved to be resilient to take existing rates of change and shrinking of industry in stride.

What’s more, robots can make economies more efficient. The authors cite a 2015 paper that found robots added an average 0.4% to GDP growth in 17 countries between 1993 and 2007.

(“Productivity” can sound arbitrary and dry, but, as the authors write, greater productivity in the economy translates into better living standards.)

Still, the people who will lose out to artificial intelligence are the most vulnerable: those with less education, in lower wage jobs, such as driving and house cleaning.​

The Report is only looking maybe ten years into the future and touts the advantages of higher education and training for the new jobs of the Robotics Revolution, building and maintaining and robot design, but that will be a very short career for most Americans. The jobs of the Robotics Revolution will not make good fodder for careers for the vast majority as Strong AI makes even their jobs automated as well.

We need to think out of the box this generation and take a new approach.
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Just keep in mind what was said about the industrial revolution taking away all our jobs. Any number of technologies could be cited as examples of this very same scare tactic, yet none have eliminated any jobs that have not, eventually, been replaced by other jobs.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Just keep in mind what was said about the industrial revolution taking away all our jobs. Any number of technologies could be cited as examples of this very same scare tactic, yet none have eliminated any jobs that have not, eventually, been replaced by other jobs.
But that technology was not capable of also making and repairing itself.

But that technology was not capable of also making and repairing itself.
True, and neither is AI, unless of course, it is programed to. Therefore, I go back to the mantra that I return to for so many of these "prophecies":
"Prepare for the worse, hope for the best."
You can do as you wish, I tend to believe that this, too, shall pass, and there will be plenty of jobs for us mere humans even after the "robot invasion". After the "alien invasion" though, I'm not so sure we will be around to care. LOL

True, and neither is AI, unless of course, it is programed to. Therefore, I go back to the mantra that I return to for so many of these "prophecies":
You can do as you wish, I tend to believe that this, too, shall pass, and there will be plenty of jobs for us mere humans even after the "robot invasion". After the "alien invasion" though, I'm not so sure we will be around to care. LOL
Of course corporations will get Strong AI robots that can make and repair other robots. The tech is already here, it only need more refinement.

So why wouldnt the corporations remove the need for humans in those jobs as well?

And please dont mistake my intent here. I think this whole thing can usher in a Technological Utopia, and I think it probably will.

But we have to light up the shoals ahead in order to avoid them by discussing the probably pitfalls and have some contingency plans ready to go when if harmful side effects emerge.

Of course corporations will get Strong AI robots that can make and repair other robots. The tech is already here, it only need more refinement.

So why wouldnt the corporations remove the need for humans in those jobs as well?

And please dont mistake my intent here. I think this whole thing can usher in a Technological Utopia, and I think it probably will.

But we have to light up the shoals ahead in order to avoid them by discussing the probably pitfalls and have some contingency plans ready to go when if harmful side effects emerge.
Look, it's really quite simple. When, robots take over more jobs, it will only serve to free up more people to do other things. Things that robots cannot. Things that take creativity for example. Just like with the "Industrial Revolution". The tech is new, but the "problem", or issue, is as old as recorded time. I'm sure the same arguments were made when the first wheel was created, the first time animals were used for work, and the first time any other new technology was created. This is nothing new, and there is no need to scare people with statements like, "Robots are going to take over all our jobs."

True that jobs are being done by robotics. Also true that drumpfs unemployment figure is outrageous. More than 10k retire every day. The actual number of unemployed is something less than

Thank you President Obama.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

I'm sure the same arguments were made when the first wheel was created, the first time animals were used for work, and the first time any other new technology was created. This is nothing new, and there is no need to scare people with statements like, "Robots are going to take over all our jobs."
Wheels did not make themselves, install themselves or repair themselves. Robots will.

If you cant see how that is different and how that impacts resulting job growth for the first time ever, then I cant help you.

I'm sure the same arguments were made when the first wheel was created, the first time animals were used for work, and the first time any other new technology was created. This is nothing new, and there is no need to scare people with statements like, "Robots are going to take over all our jobs."
Wheels did not make themselves, install themselves or repair themselves. Robots will.

If you cant see how that is different and how that impacts resulting job growth for the first time ever, then I cant help you.
And if you cannot see that other jobs WILL be created DESPITE AI, then I cannot help you.

And if you cannot see that other jobs WILL be created DESPITE AI, then I cannot help you.
No other jobs that require human beings will be created because strong AI robots will be equally able to do them too, dude.

No other jobs that require human beings will be created because strong AI robots will be equally able to do them too, dude.
Me thinks you haven't an idea what you are talking about.
We can have people living with a government UBI supplement while they work with their own hands making crafted items that they barter for things that they do not have expertise in.
By your own words you are shown to be incorrect. Besides, how do you know what jobs will/will not be created in the future? Do you have a crystal ball? Maybe a time machine?

Me thinks you haven't an idea what you are talking about.

Ironic, I was thinking you dont have a clue, lol. You clearly do not grasp the significance of what Strong AI is and will do in replacing degreed jobs, to include engineering jobs of all kinds.

Strong AI is the CAD program to drafting, but for ALL engineering and skilled professions..

We can have people living with a government UBI supplement while they work with their own hands making crafted items that they barter for things that they do not have expertise in.
By your own words you are shown to be incorrect. Besides, how do you know what jobs will/will not be created in the future? Do you have a crystal ball? Maybe a time machine?

Lol, you still dont get it.

Whatever.

Forum List

Back