CDZ White Collar Jobs at Risk in Robotics Revolution NOW!

How fast is all of this coming?

Well it varies depending on the complexity, of course, but within 5 years robots will be as ubiquitous as laptops.

Zoltan Istvan: 'Half of Americans Will Probably Have a Robot in Their House' Within 5 Years - Breitbart

Indeed. Indeed. And I think, you know, that’s why, when we talk about the three main policies of the Transhumanist party and my campaign, the first is we would really like to overcome biological death using science and technology. And of course, not everyone wants that, but we would like to have the right to do that.

And the second is we want to spread a transhuman culture where people actually embrace science. A lot of people in America don’t actually embrace science; they may be so religious that they don’t understand a reason why they would want to use science to modify human beings or to overcome death. So we’re interested in spreading a science culture.

But number three is existential risk. And existential risk can be anything from an asteroid hitting the planet, to nuclear warfare, or our planet going to Hell because all the machines took over, and now you have this Dystopic society where the 1% rule everybody — and I mean really rule, like through cranial implants or enslavement, or whatever crazy sci-fi things you can come up with.

We need to make sure that doesn’t happen. And that is a danger. Transhumanism can lead us through that period with some very hard-earned social philosophies and create a social equality amongst everyone if we can transition properly. But, you know, we have to talk about it. We have to have candidates running for the premise.

And we have to do it beforehand. We can’t just let machines take over and say ,”Oh wow, nobody has any money yet,” and now people are throwing molotov cocktails through windows. We have to, you know, we have to talk about it ahead of time.

Hmm, so what can we do if the robots take all of our jobs?

Bill Gross: What to Do After the Robots Take Our Jobs

Technology is changing the world, but it is also destroying a lot of jobs, causing upheaval, and may even change the very nature of what is considered work, Janus Capital Bill Grosssaid in his latest investment outlook. This will have profound political implications, he said, but the current crop of national leaders is hopelessly behind this curve, leaving it to central bankers to try and mop up the mess.

It’s a thought-provoking note from the former bond king, and is a departure from his recent missives, which have almost uniformly critiqued central-bank policies. Now, he seems to be accepting them as the end result of a wider, society-level change. They are not theoptimal end result, mind you, but he argues it’s the only one open in a world where most people simply don’t understand what is happening. This leaves central banks stuck in a mop-up role, trying to keep their economies afloat amid all this friction.

In other words, embrace the helicopter money. It may be the only money you get.

“Our economy has changed, but voters and their elected representatives don’t seem to know what’s really wrong,” he writes. Every politician promises some variation on the theme of creating a brighter future, whether their “fix” is to build a wall, balance a budget, or make college free. “But here’s the thing,” he says. “No one in 2016 is really addressing the future as we are likely to experience it.”

Technology is making “work” far less labor-intensive, even services jobs. A variety of technologies will contribute to this, most visibly robotics (but also artificial intelligence, 3-D printing, and even virtual reality). Think just of all the jobs that will be lost to self-driving trucks and taxis. “Millions of jobs will be lost over the next 10-15 years,” Mr. Gross writes. Not just blue-collar jobs, either, and not just in the U.S. This is a global phenomenon.

How to create strong AI that wont decide to kill all homo sapiens off is more of a challenge than most people would think, especially the folks who thinks it is all 'sci-fi'.

Scientists Ponder How to Create Artificial Intelligence That Won’t Destroy Us

Scientists, recognizing their work is breaking out of the research lab and into the real world, grappled during a daylong summit on Dec. 10 in Montreal with such ethical issues as how to prevent computers that are smarter than humans from putting people out of work, adding complications to legal proceedings, or, even worse, seeking to harm society. Today’s AI can learn how to play video games, help automate e-mail responses, and drive cars under certain conditions. That’s already provoked concerns about the effect it may have workers.

"I think the biggest challenge is the challenge to employment," said Andrew Ng, the chief scientist for Chinese search engine Baidu Inc., which announced last week that one of its cars had driven itself on a 30 kilometer (19 mile) route around Beijing with no human required. The speed with which AI advances may change the workplace means "huge numbers of people in their 20s and 40s and 50s" would need to be retrained in a way that’s never happened before, he said.

"There’s no doubt that there are classes of jobs that can be automated today that could not be automated before," said Erik Brynjolfsson, an economist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, citing workers such as junior lawyers tasked with e-discovery or people manning the checkout aisles in self-checkout supermarkets.

But as time goes on and Advanced strong AI takes over, there will be NO JOBS that are not capable of being done by robots or computers.

As Robots become more sophisticated, smarter than us and more hooked into every computer controled object that exists, how will we exist, if at all?

Even if we program AI to not kill us, can they still reduce us to being essentially their pets?

Apple's Co-founder Thinks We're All Going To Be Enslaved By Robots One Day

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak thinks we’re all probably going to become robots’ pets.

Speaking at a recent technology conference, Wozniak said that at first the thought of artificially intelligent beings in charge of everything scared him. But now it’s a comforting thought.

Fast forward hundreds of years to when robots are in charge. At that time, humans will probably be treated in a similar fashion to dogs, Wozniak said during an event at the Freescale Technology Forum 2015 in Austin, Texas.

“It’s actually going to turn out really good for humans,” he added. “And it will be hundreds of years down the stream before [artificially intelligent beings would] even have the ability.”

“They’ll be so smart by then that they’ll know they have to keep nature, and humans are part of nature,” he continued. “So I got over my fear that we’d be replaced by computers.”

Wozniak believes robots will helps us because we’re the “gods originally.”

Wozniak is smoking some Gawd awfully bad crack lately.

Being a pet is not a good thing for homo sapiens.

Ooooops, I bet no one thought that would come out exactly the say it did.

Intelligent robot tells interviewer, ‘I’ll keep you safe in my people zoo’

An ‘intelligent’ robot offered a truly chilling answer to an interviewer’s question, ‘Will robots take over the world?’

‘Don’t worry, even if I evolve into Terminator, I’ll keep you warm and safe in my people zoo, where I can watch you for ol’ times sake,’ the bearded robot intoned.

His interviewer, from PBS, is visibly taken aback by the answer.

Eventually our educated classes will all be replaced by robots and computers as well.

Fears robots will take over world by becoming lawyers, architects and doctors

Lawyers, doctors and accountants may be redundant in 20 years after scientists have claimed their jobs will be taken over by robots .

A study into the future of human employment has predicted a surge in machine-led work such as robotic counsellors, body part makers and virtual lawyers.

This is bad news for those in the profession , who could see themselves out of a job due to highly-skilled artificial intelligence.

The worrying research suggests that humans will be replaced because robots are able to produce better results.

Will salesmen, counselors and people oriented professions be safe?

In a word, no, not them either.

These robots just want to blend in

If robots are going to take over the world, they could at least have the courtesy not to bump into us while they’re at it. That’s not as easy as it sounds, though, especially when a robot is trying to make its way through a bustling space like a mall, hospital, or crowded city street.

Thankfully, researchers have developed an algorithm that could give robots the ability to deftly maneuver through spaces packed with unpredictable humans.

Robots are gradually leaving controlled spaces like labs and factories and edging into more settings in which they will inevitably encounter human beings (see “Are You Ready for a Robot Colleague?”). We navigate hectic spaces by reading other people’s movements and planning our paths accordingly. Robots tend to just barrel ahead, and then stop suddenly when someone gets in the way.

robotx2760.jpg

Stanford's JackRabbot robot will explore busy spaces while trying to respect people's boundaries.
“The challenge is how to program these devices to respect human social conventions,” says Silvio Savarese at Stanford University.

So what's the point? White collar folks, assuming they want to work, need to do the same things blue collar folks do: read the "job market" writing on the wall and develop/revise their skills in accordance with the coming changes.

Yeah like how to flip a burger, or how to properly shake french fries...or maybe how to greet someone as they walk into a big box store.
There is no end to the cluelessness of so many people...

Yeah like how to flip a burger, or how to properly shake french fries...or maybe how to greet someone as they walk into a big box store.
And robots are already doing those jobs, lol.

We need fewer and fewer worker-hours to make anything, including a profit, but society has lots and lots of jobs that it needs done even though they don't make much money. We will pay for those jobs in areas like the environment, education, healthcare and the arts, with money made by robots, It could be a golden age for the human race.
I am thinking that money is about to become obsolete as a fiat currency form, anyway. What will be money in the future might be small discs of thorium or prepped nickel for use in nanonuclear power generators, both are quite portable, durable and useful for future tech of any kind as just about everything will need energy of some fort. And the ability to produce our own clothing with nano-manufacturing and robotic manufacturing will likely have some sort of highly compacted form of power source.

In a recent episode of Anthony Bourdain's travel show, he was in China.
And it was interesting that one of his guest was one of China's top economist.
And his answer to Anthony's question - What is the greatest challenge facing America and China? - His answer surprised me..."what to do with the people who are no longer needed to contribute to the economy"...he went on to say that through technology, out sourcing, robotocs and mergers - it is a simple and increasing fact that the economy needs less people to produce and serve what the population needs and wants are. So what do we do with the increasing number of people who are not needed?

This is a fascinating topic. And to be honest needs it's own thread. But relates to this one of course.

I don't know about you, but I have yet to be greeted by a robot upon entering any store, much less a "big box" store. It's literally been a lustrum or more since I've gone inside a restaurant where I can see the burger and fries cooking processes being performed. I have no idea whether those processes have been robotized."

All kinds of jobs are going to start evaporating in the next ten years.

VIDEO: A one-armed Australian robot can build a house four times quicker than a brickie

Fastbrick Robotics, an ASX-listed company based in Perth, has created a robot brick layer, a form of 3D printing which can create the shell of a house without being touched by human hands.

The Hadrian 105 robot, named after the Roman emperor who built a wall in ancient Britain, has hit a bricklaying speed of 225 standard brick equivalents per hour, or about half a day’s work for a top human bricklayer.

To prove it, the company released a time lapse video, showing the robot at work. Here’s the robot, doing everything with one arm, laying over-sized bricks, following a laser guided system:

I don't know about you, but I have yet to be greeted by a robot upon entering any store, much less a "big box" store. It's literally been a lustrum or more since I've gone inside a restaurant where I can see the burger and fries cooking processes being performed. I have no idea whether those processes have been robotized."

Guess you've never been to a Five Guys then. Their kitchen is totally exposed.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Five Guys.

Forum List

Back