White Christians Are Now a Minority—But They're Getting More Isolated and Less Tolerant

Windparadox

Gold Member
May 3, 2017
Northern WI.
`
Religious homophobia is driving away young people, but evangelical leaders double down on anti-LGBT bigotry

Last week, the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) put out a new report on religion in America that measured a truly remarkable shift: For the first time, almost certainly in the country’s history, people who identify as white Christians are a minority of Americans. Four out of every five Americans were self-described white Christians in 1976, but now that group only constitutes 43 percent of the U.S. population.

There are a lot of reasons for this shift, study author Robert P. Jones, who heads PRRI and is the author of “The End of White Christian America,” explained to Salon in an interview. To a large extent, Jones said, it’s the trend of “young, white people leaving Christian churches that is driving up the number of religiously unaffiliated Americans.”

This reflects, he added, “a culture clash between particularly conservative white churches and denominations and younger Americans” over issues like science, particularly climate change and evolution, and especially the rights of LGBT people.
- Source
`
Mind you, Christianity still comprises 70% of our total population but that includes blacks, Latinos, Asians and the rest. In what I see as my white generation (I'm 33), many people are still into spirituality but have totally abandon the mainstream faiths. My own beliefs are rather eclectic. If social forums are any indication, some of the most vocal Christians appear also to be the cruelest. Scary stuff.
`

So White Christians are joining the left ?

Isolated

Intollerant

That's the left.

Evangelicals and Fundamentalists give Christianity a bad name. Sorry but I have to say it. You degraded one Pres for lying under oath and in regards for having a blow job, and yet elected another Pres who is on his third marriage , had a child out of wedlock, cheated on ex wife's, boasted how he can sexually molest women and can get away with it, cheated workers, sued and was sued by everyone. A Pres who said the only dark skinned Pres. was born in another country and is doing everything to degrade him.

I am sickened to what Christianity has become in the US. Intolerance to civil rights.

There are those who use aspects of Christianity as a stick to beat people with. Its incredibly ugly and is off putting to people of any sense.

Evangelicals and Fundamentalists give Christianity a bad name. Sorry but I have to say it. You degraded one Pres for lying under oath and in regards for having a blow job, and yet elected another Pres who is on his third marriage , had a child out of wedlock, cheated on ex wife's, boasted how he can sexually molest women and can get away with it, cheated workers, sued and was sued by everyone. A Pres who said the only dark skinned Pres. was born in another country and is doing everything to degrade him.

I am sickened to what Christianity has become in the US. Intolerance to civil rights.

Oh, let's not forget that said president (who was a good president BTW) also was fucking everything that walked but his ugly wife for decades.

I don't generally elect my officials based on what they poke or don't poke.

I do elect those who I trust (or vote against those I trust less).

There are those who use aspects of Christianity as a stick to beat people with. Its incredibly ugly and is off putting to people of any sense.
Well at the end of the day, what them people you speak of are guilty of if they are guilty of anything is no different compared to how everyone else chooses to respond. Who doesn't use what makes sense to them as a stick to beat other people with?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

`
`

Polls, no matter how supposedly bias-free or empirical they appear, are nothing more than weather vanes at a given time. Granted, take enough of these readings in a given space and time and you build up predictable patterns. To be honest, I see Calvinism, in extremis, as being being the guiding force behind most of the Evangelical, Baptist and Fundamentalist sects. This kind of combination spawns moral self-righteousness to a very dangerous level. That's my opinion at least.

`
`

Polls, no matter how supposedly bias-free or empirical they appear, are nothing more than weather vanes at a given time. Granted, take enough of these readings in a given space and time and you build up predictable patterns. To be honest, I see Calvinism, in extremis, as being being the guiding force behind most of the Evangelical, Baptist and Fundamentalist sects. This kind of combination spawns moral self-righteousness to a very dangerous level. That's my opinion at least.
No one is more self righteous than an atheist.

Well at the end of the day, what them people you speak of are guilty of if they are guilty of anything is no different compared to how everyone else chooses to respond. Who doesn't use what makes sense to them as a stick to beat other people with?

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Beating people with sticks is probably not the most important Christian value.

`
Religious homophobia is driving away young people, but evangelical leaders double down on anti-LGBT bigotry

Last week, the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) put out a new report on religion in America that measured a truly remarkable shift: For the first time, almost certainly in the country’s history, people who identify as white Christians are a minority of Americans. Four out of every five Americans were self-described white Christians in 1976, but now that group only constitutes 43 percent of the U.S. population.

There are a lot of reasons for this shift, study author Robert P. Jones, who heads PRRI and is the author of “The End of White Christian America,” explained to Salon in an interview. To a large extent, Jones said, it’s the trend of “young, white people leaving Christian churches that is driving up the number of religiously unaffiliated Americans.”

This reflects, he added, “a culture clash between particularly conservative white churches and denominations and younger Americans” over issues like science, particularly climate change and evolution, and especially the rights of LGBT people.
- Source
`
Mind you, Christianity still comprises 70% of our total population but that includes blacks, Latinos, Asians and the rest. In what I see as my white generation (I'm 33), many people are still into spirituality but have totally abandon the mainstream faiths. My own beliefs are rather eclectic. If social forums are any indication, some of the most vocal Christians appear also to be the cruelest. Scary stuff.
`

Supporting traditional marriage does NOT render one a bigot.

Pop quiz. Who built the greatest nation the world has ever known? Answer: white Christians.

Many have left traditional denominations because they have become as degenerate as non believers. Once the Church accepts homosexuality as normal and participates in same sex marriage, the church is done.

Forum List

Back