Which would you prefer?

Which one would you prefer?

• A bunch of racists with freedom to say anything

• People can only say what the govt or other institution has predetermined is OK

Results are only viewable after voting.
Simple poll!
What led to creating this thread? Who proposed any prior restraint on speech (beyond Trump publically longing for the power over the tattletale book)

This was a troll thread meant to trap liberals, but the RWnuts ended up in the trap, and they're now chewing off their own feet trying to get loose.

Only in your own addled little mind.

Read my post 81 and tell me which side you'd be on, the teacher's, or the government's?

Simple poll!
What led to creating this thread? Who proposed any prior restraint on speech (beyond Trump publically longing for the power over the tattletale book)
I started arguing with him about it in another thread.
No one is getting "raped." Or imprisoned. Say what you want, but if you want to say hateful things about a group of people that disrespects them as human beings, if you do it in a large public forum, you may get some push back. Why must Americans tolerate that kind of speech?
EXPOSED!!!

BOOM!!!
You keep saying "exposed." I don't understand.
Sure has you excited, though. Did someone untie my robe?

Simple poll!
Someone said a school should have the right to kick out students for what they say outside of school.
Ah, well schools can do that.
A private school/university can. But that doesnt mean you should support that attack on individualism.

Can I suggest a write option?

I would prefer of people minded their own business and kept their opinions to themselves

Simple poll!

This was a troll thread meant to trap liberals, but the RWnuts ended up in the trap, and they're now chewing off their own feet trying to get loose.

Only in your own addled little mind.

Read my post 81 and tell me which side you'd be on, the teacher's, or the government's?

81 is a specific case of employment and acting in a role as an employee, more importantly, a GOVERNMENT employee if this is a public school. Thus under strict scrutiny the government CAN act, but only to the limit of him losing his GOVERNMENT job.

Now if he wanted to post that on his facebook, but didn't do it in class, then he should NOT be fired. but I would expect parent's to boycott his class until he left or was reassigned.

So, by choosing #2 we could shut up Oprah, Whoopie, the Obamas, Reverend Al, Jesse, and most of the Democratic Party? Hmmm.

freedom to be a bigot is still freedom... Frankly, the best kind.
We should be able to say whatever in the fuck we want without the govt raping us.
No one is getting "raped." Or imprisoned. Say what you want, but if you want to say hateful things about a group of people that disrespects them as human beings, if you do it in a large public forum, you may get some push back. Why must Americans tolerate that kind of speech?

Harley is telling you that my example in post 81 should be protected free speech.
Harley is a complete blockhead when it comes to this issue. He and I quibbling about it in another thread this a.m. is what prompted this. But he has such a simplistic view of the whole thing that his poll is as blockheaded as his opinion.
Sorry, TN, but this one is indefensible.

You have failed the truest test of commitment to free speech.

Only when you are faced with the most abhorrent content will your conviction be properly tested.

You should re-examine your convictions. Are you really a liberal?

I give you Trumpettes credit.

Fighting tooth & nail for the right to spew racist slurs, bigotry & hate.

You dumbasses already have that right,

But like the whiny little girls you are, you go into meltdown mode when I use my right of free speech to call out your ignorant racism.

So really. GROW THE FUCK UP.

Harley is a complete blockhead when it comes to this issue. He and I quibbling about it in another thread this a.m. is what prompted this. But he has such a simplistic view of the whole thing that his poll is as blockheaded as his opinion.
Should some racist idiot have the right to drop the N word, call black people monkeys, and advocate for re-enslaving them? Is that the kind of speech our government should limit?

I give you Trumpettes credit.

Fighting tooth & nail for the right to spew racist slurs, bigotry & hate.

You dumbasses already have that right,

But like the whiny little girls you are, you go into meltdown mode when I use my right of free speech to call out your ignorant racism.

So really. GROW THE FUCK UP.
This guy seems to get the point.

Looks like yet another USMB thread has been derailed by a poster who wanted to avoid its primary point by putting others on the defensive.

Do you believe racists should have the freedom to say 'anything', or do you believe the government should have some degree of authority to restrict that freedom?
I'm glad you can recognize your behaviors so easily.

So as usual you can't answer that question.

I'll answer it for you. You choose #2, because I'm sure you would side with the government and your school district (other institution)

if they fired an elementary school teacher for telling his 4th grade class that most of this country's problems come from there being 'too many fucking ******* here' and the Court upheld that firing.

Eh??????
Yes, I believe in freedom of expression, with the smallest number of exceptions possible.

You don't, because you are an illiberal Leftist authoritarian. A Regressive Leftist.

You'll never be able to put me on the defensive on this topic. Ever. Try all you want.

freedom to be a bigot is still freedom... Frankly, the best kind.
We should be able to say whatever in the fuck we want without the govt raping us.

Harley is telling you that my example in post 81 should be protected free speech.
You either believe in freedom or you dont.
I dont know why you bedwetters have to complicate such a simple question.
Just pick #2 because you know damn well you only care about freedoms YOU believe in. Just like NY.

Simple poll!
Someone said a school should have the right to kick out students for what they say outside of school.
Ah, well schools can do that.
A private school/university can. But that doesnt mean you should support that attack on individualism.
No a public school can fire a person over a private facebook post, unless the speech is explicitly protected. For example a PA law probably exempts people from being fired over race religion gender and possibly sexual preference.

You have failed the truest test of commitment to free speech.

Only when you are faced with the most abhorrent content will your conviction be properly tested.

You should re-examine your convictions. Are you really a liberal?
I'm an Independent. As with all rights, I believe they come with responsibilities, and one of the responsibilities of the First Amendment right of free speech is to choose our public words wisely in such a way that they do not harm others. Racist speech does untold harm to minorities.
If you want to call me a fascist for that, I'm perfectly alright with it.

Forum List

Back