Which governing body in the U.S overseas Federal financial fraud?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I received an email regarding an application for credit in the U.S. This appears to be a legitimate company and the details seem legitimate as well.

Do any of you know which institution I would contact to convey this? They used my name but a U.S address and had my email, it was almost certainly a real application.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

I received an email regarding an application for credit in the U.S. This appears to be a legitimate company and the details seem legitimate as well.

Do any of you know which institution I would contact to convey this? They used my name but a U.S address and had my email, it was almost certainly a real application.

What are you trying to buy?

Also, I don't see the need for credit in America unless you're buying something in America.
I used to be a loan originator.
People usually came to me when they were applying for a refinance or a home loan.
Usually everything else is done thru companies that do business with the store or auto dealer that you're trying to buy from.
They set forth the terms and conditions, interest rates and payment schedule.

If you just want money you need collateral that they can access if you default. If everything you have is in a foreign country that makes it complicated.
Usually when someone offers you credit thru emails the terms aren't all that great.
And they want to suck you in and spring on you terms that you wouldn't normally agree to.

My suggestion is look online and look for reviews on the company.
There may or may not be a listing on them with the Better Business Bureau.

What are you trying to buy?

Also, I don't see the need for credit in America unless you're buying something in America.
I used to be a loan originator.
People usually came to me when they were applying for a refinance or a home loan.
Usually everything else is done thru companies that do business with the store or auto dealer that you're trying to buy from.
They set forth the terms and conditions, interest rates and payment schedule.

If you just want money you need collateral that they can access if you default. If everything you have is in a foreign country that makes it complicated.
Usually when someone offers you credit thru emails the terms aren't all that great.
And they want to suck you in and spring on you terms that you wouldn't normally agree to.

My suggestion is look online and look for reviews on the company.
There may or may not be a listing on them with the Better Business Bureau.

I am not trying to buy anything, someone was trying to apply for credit with my name and an address in the U.S.

I am not trying to buy anything, someone was trying to apply for credit with my name and an address in the U.S.
Throw it away. That's fraud.

Nobody should be using your name or address for anything. Once they get your social security number or any other identity information they'll borrow money using it and stick you with the bill.

Throw it away. That's fraud.

Nobody should be using your name or address for anything. Once they get your social security number or any other identity information they'll borrow money using it and stick you with the bill.
Yes, it is fraud which is why I want to report it.

The address and numbers are for a legitimate company, this company received an application. I need to know how much is known about me beyond my name and email address and I need to ensure they can't repeat this with others.

Start here.

Also contact local law enforcement and file a report. Just for historical purposes.
  • Ask them to file a report (they probably won't be able to do anything with it, but ask them nicely just have the report on file).
  • Document the name, date, unit, badge number, etc. of the officer taking the report.
  • Get a copy of the report once filed and keep it with your permanent records.

You want to document the situation with officials, then keep copies for future reference. Do it now to establish dates, time, location, and situation. A contemporaneous report can be very helpful in the future if you have to file something with credit bureaus or contest charges in the future.

I had an credit card identify theft situation a number of years ago. We were one of the lucky ones as we caught it very early.

WW

Last edited:

Forum List

Back