Which GOP candidate would do the BEST in a debate against Barack Obama--BE HONEST

Which GOP candidate would do BEST in a debate with Barack Obama?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
gingrich shoots from the lip... he has moments of brililance followed by insane lunacy...

Perhaps you could give us an illustration of 'insane lunacy?' Most especially in a debate situation? There are points I disagree with Newt on--none of them necessarily deal breakers but I would argue them with him--but I have NEVER seen him be irrational, unfocused, or unprepared for the situation.

Actually Jillian I would love to see what you consider Gingrich's "insane lunacy" too.

Any youtubes, interviews, or transcripts for us?

Actually, her statement was a quote from someone close to Newt. I'll look it up in a bit.

Perhaps you could give us an illustration of 'insane lunacy?' Most especially in a debate situation? There are points I disagree with Newt on--none of them necessarily deal breakers but I would argue them with him--but I have NEVER seen him be irrational, unfocused, or unprepared for the situation.

Actually Jillian I would love to see what you consider Gingrich's "insane lunacy" too.

Whose idea was it to send children of single mothers on welfare to orphanages? I remember when that was suggested. i thought it was newt. This was in the mid 1990s.

No clue...go check it out and bring us back a link so we can all talk about it :thup:

Whose idea was it to send children of single mothers on welfare to orphanages? I remember when that was suggested. i thought it was newt. This was in the mid 1990s.

No clue...go check it out and bring us back a link so we can all talk about it :thup:

here's an editorial piece from the period. I can get more links if you like.

Orphanages Are No Solution - Editorial - NYTimes.com

It was not Gingrich's idea but he did support a proposal, according to that link, which would "allow states to deny cash subsidies to single teen-age mothers and use the money instead for group homes for unwed mothers and their children -- or orphanages for their children."

So it was only single teenage mothers according to the article but they are still single moms as you claim. My memory from 94 is fuzzy, it was my freshman year of college after all, but I think I remember his reasoning back then was "teenagers can still get help from their parents" or something like that.

I'm not sure I'd support that proposal myself. I wish the article told me the name of the proposal so I could look up the details for myself and tell you if I would have supported it or not. The way its portrayed I wouldn't support it but we all know now, unlike back then, that you really shouldn't trust what the media is saying without verifying it first, especially in any op-ed ;)

It was not Gingrich's idea but he did support a proposal, according to that link, which would "allow states to deny cash subsidies to single teen-age mothers and use the money instead for group homes for unwed mothers and their children -- or orphanages for their children."

So it was only single teenage mothers according to the article but they are still single moms as you claim. My memory from 94 is fuzzy, it was my freshman year of college after all, but I think I remember his reasoning back then was "teenagers can still get help from their parents" or something like that.

I'm not sure I'd support that proposal myself. I wish the article told me the name of the proposal so I could look up the details for myself and tell you if I would have supported it or not. The way its portrayed I wouldn't support it but we all know now, unlike back then, that you really shouldn't trust what the media is saying without verifying it first, especially in any op-ed ;)
true. i posted this just to give us a rundown of it.

All the smart people agree with me :rofl:

:D

EDIT: I agree with you BTW....before that gets taken the wrong way.

:lol:

Gingrich is very smart and really good in debates. Romney's been getting his chops together pretty quickly. He's far more impressive then he was last time out. The debates are really giving him a razor sharp cutting edge.

They are basically killing everyone else. Ron Paul looks like he's got dementia, Bachmann looks looney, Cain comes off as Earl Schrieb, Santorum just threw the election with his DADT stance, Huntsman was looking okay for a while, then he threw out that treason charge and Perry's looking more like a deer in the head lights.

I really think, if the republicans are smart, this is what they will do.

Romney as the President.
Cain/Gingrich for VP.

If gingrich isn't VP then make him your press secretary ;).
If Cain isn't VP then make him you tim geitner or some similar cabinet position in relation to the economy.

What do you think of that sallow?

Cain as VP? That's madness.

Rubio/Pawlenty oh gosh..maybe Christie as VP.

Cain would probably be fun as a czar of some sort.

Gingrich should get an ambassador position..or maybe secretary of state.

wow...all those years in politics and the most they can come up with are eleven?

Heck, I have to believe we can come upo with double that with Obama...and hes been a politician for what....5 years?

Jarhead read them...most aren't even that bad, especially in context.

yes...I read them...

I will say this for sure....Obama will be slaughtered in a debate with Gingrich....Obama gets away with spinning....McCain backed down from the spin....Gingrich will throw it right back at Obama...with that smirk...and say

"why must you spin? Are you that insecure about your position?"

wow...all those years in politics and the most they can come up with are eleven?

Heck, I have to believe we can come upo with double that with Obama...and hes been a politician for what....5 years?

So if somebody said "Top Ten Best States to Live in" you would then assume there were only ten states?

So if somebody said "Top Ten Best States to Live in" you would then assume there were only ten states?

No. Same as I don't assume Obama meant something to do with islam when he mistakenly said 57 states instead of 50,

Newt has the knowledge and experiance to win in a debate against not just Obama, but with the other GOP candidates. But not all debates are won on facts. You have to connect with the crowd, you have to answer without seeming to "know everything and lecture", you have to be serious and yuck it up a little with the crowd.

I don't think we have a single candidate that does all those things well.

Perry and Romney have issues with "overstepping" (Perry with the mandated shots and Romney with mandated healthcare)

Newt is too close to "establishment" for me to vote for.

Of the remaining group, I would go for Cain

No. Same as I don't assume Obama meant something to do with islam when he mistakenly said 57 states instead of 50,

Actually, Jarhead is the one who thinks all Newt's zaniness is included in the article, rather than, as it ever-so-clearly stated, the TOP ELEVEN.

actually, if the list was top 10...that would likely have not recieved a comment by me.

But since it said "eleven". it gives one reason to believe that they had to dig...and came up with 11.

Basic logic.

Actually, Jarhead is the one who thinks all Newt's zaniness is included in the article, rather than, as it ever-so-clearly stated, the TOP ELEVEN.

yeah...top "eleven" is a very common thing used when talking about the top of anything.

I do like Newt as VP, if we go "anti-establishment" with a nominee, then adding Newt to the teams adds the knowledge of the political realm and how things get done. Of course we would have to pick a lead candidate that would actually listen to advice from his VP and other cabinent selections

I do like Newt as VP, if we go "anti-establishment" with a nominee, then adding Newt to the teams adds the knowledge of the political realm and how things get done. Of course we would have to pick a lead candidate that would actually listen to advice from his VP and other cabinent selections

Obama ran on a platform of anti establishment.....and you see where that got us. He is as establishment as the rest of them.

SO I dont think ones "establishment" persona should be a deciding factor for whoever gets in the WH will wind up conforming to the party standards.

Unless, of course, Obama was just a liar and knew that he wouldnt be transparent, knew he was going to have backroom dealings, knew he wouldnt read each bill with a scalpel and knew he would allow lobbyists in the WH.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back