Which Branch To Choose?

Another thought.

If he goes into the military prior to college, and one of his goals is to finance his college education, he can get a really great jump on it for free.

While on active duty he can take the 5 basic CLEP tests. Each test is worth 6 college credits. 30 credits or one year of college for 5 tests. And any HS Graduate should be able to pass them easily.

Then after that there are DANTES tests, which he can take on hundreds of subjects they are worth anywhere from 1 to 5 credit hours each. I think the weirdest one I took was on forestry. I knew nothing about it but took the test on a whim and got 2 credit hours in forestry.

Most colleges will accept these tests and award the credits toward a degree. And there are always on-base courses by accredited Universities. When you aren't deployed that is.

Just being in the service can get you some credits. Some are based on time in, what you actually do and just for being in.

I have 3 credits for rope handling boatsmanship. Since I was an Elec Tech, I never got to use them, but I did have them.

Being an ET2 gave me all but the final credit needed for an asc degree.

Also, should you ever wish to apply for any sort of government job, your time in the military counts as a hiring preference AND toward your seniority once you get the job. I worked for the USPS years ago, and when I took the postal service exam, the only people higher than me on the hiring register were former military.

Another thought.

If he goes into the military prior to college, and one of his goals is to finance his college education, he can get a really great jump on it for free.

While on active duty he can take the 5 basic CLEP tests. Each test is worth 6 college credits. 30 credits or one year of college for 5 tests. And any HS Graduate should be able to pass them easily.

Then after that there are DANTES tests, which he can take on hundreds of subjects they are worth anywhere from 1 to 5 credit hours each. I think the weirdest one I took was on forestry. I knew nothing about it but took the test on a whim and got 2 credit hours in forestry.

Most colleges will accept these tests and award the credits toward a degree. And there are always on-base courses by accredited Universities. When you aren't deployed that is.

Just being in the service can get you some credits. Some are based on time in, what you actually do and just for being in.

I have 3 credits for rope handling boatsmanship. Since I was an Elec Tech, I never got to use them, but I did have them.

Also, should you ever wish to apply for any sort of government job, your time in the military counts as a hiring preference AND toward your seniority once you get the job. I worked for the USPS years ago, and when I took the postal service exam, the only people higher than me on the hiring register were former military.

A 20 year Vet can get another government job and have 10 years on everyone else on day one. Retire in 10 years with a 20 year pension and still be just 48

Cecilie,

Your statement about hiring preferences and seniority for "for any sort of government job" is not true. I work in Human Resources in a school division (which is a government job) and can tell you that for many government jobs there is no veteran hiring preference and military time does not buy you seniority. Now there may be some jobs that work that way, but it is far from "any government job".

Just say'n...

>>>>

Another thought.

Just to point out, those are recommendations for credit and not credit earned. I don't remember what it's called but there is a summary of military training that provides those recommendations.

Those recommendations are evaluated by the school you are applying to and the school decides whether to accept any, all, or none of the recommendations. The reality is colleges and universities exist to sell their own courses, a community college isn't going to take 60 hours of military credit and hand you a degree, same what with a university - they are not going to take 120 hours and hand you a degree. Most school have strict admissions policies on the type and quantity of transfer credit they will accept and what they do accept will normally be applied to elective areas.

>>>>

Just how big is that chip on your shoulder?

You called her cesspit, in a thread in which she is reaching out to us for info to help her son.

How did you think it would go after you made a public ass of yourself?

Oh, and the only people thinking I'm making an arse of myself are the right wing cabal..and really, who gives a shit about them?

I know Cesspit well enough to know that she is not reaching out for shit. She sees messageboards as her own little playground and a pulpit. She doesn't discuss, she lectures. If you honestly believe she gives a flying fuck about anybody's advice on this board you are sorely mistaken. All she is doing is self-aggrandising about her son, and/or trying to figure out if she knows more than others about the different branches. Note how most of her answers are lectures to others on their opinions.

She is just a know-all, but doesn't really know anything...shrug...

You have a little spittle on your chin, you might want to wipe it off.

You called her cesspit, in a thread in which she is reaching out to us for info to help her son.

How did you think it would go after you made a public ass of yourself?

Oh, and the only people thinking I'm making an arse of myself are the right wing cabal..and really, who gives a shit about them?

I know Cesspit well enough to know that she is not reaching out for shit. She sees messageboards as her own little playground and a pulpit. She doesn't discuss, she lectures. If you honestly believe she gives a flying fuck about anybody's advice on this board you are sorely mistaken. All she is doing is self-aggrandising about her son, and/or trying to figure out if she knows more than others about the different branches. Note how most of her answers are lectures to others on their opinions.

Since when does speaking in a calm, forthright, manner encourage spittle?

You're barking up the wrong tree...you might want a buscuit....

A 20 year Vet can get another government job and have 10 years on everyone else on day one. Retire in 10 years with a 20 year pension and still be just 48[/QUOTE]

I wish people would not perpetuate that myth. That's not how the system functions. While there may be some jobs that provide for a hiring preference for veterans they don't allow you to retire in 10-years work for a 20-year pension.

For example my wife and I are both in the Virginia Retirement System. I'm retired military and she is a disabled veteran. To retire with a 25-year pension - you guessed it - we have to work 25 years**. States and the federal government do not allow for "double dipping" anymore, that being using the same service time to qualify for two pensions.

** Now some states do allow for veterans to purchase a limited amount of service time for retirement purposes (but no seniority) depending on your veteran status. As a retiree, I'm not eligible to purchase service credit because I'm drawing a military pension. On the other hand my wife as a non-retired veteran can (and did) purchase up to 4-years in the retirement system (http://www.varetire.org/Pdf/Forms/vrs-26.pdf). At 25-years of service you will still have - well - 25-years of service but it will count as 28-years for retirement computations only. The purchased years do not count for seniority.

>>>>

Last edited:

Cecilie,

Your statement about hiring preferences and seniority for "for any sort of government job" is not true. I work in Human Resources in a school division (which is a government job) and can tell you that for many government jobs there is no veteran hiring preference and military time does not buy you seniority. Now there may be some jobs that work that way, but it is far from "any government job".

Just say'n...

>>>>

I'm talking about the federal government, since the military is employed by the federal government. Your school district would be the STATE government.

Whatever branch he chooses, and despite what the recruiter might tell him, he can count on spending his first two years (or more if he doesn't make any rank) scrubbing floors and cleaning toilets.

Cecilie,

Just say'n...

>>>>

I'm talking about the federal government, since the military is employed by the federal government. Your school district would be the STATE government.

Then I respectfully request that in the future you qualify your claims, when you said "any sort of government job" it did include STATE and LOCAL governments as well - which is in fact wrong.

For those that don't have any familiarity with (a) the military and (b) government jobs - statements like that simply add to the confusion.

Thank you in advance.

SS

>>>>

Another thought.

Just to point out, those are recommendations for credit and not credit earned. I don't remember what it's called but there is a summary of military training that provides those recommendations.

Those recommendations are evaluated by the school you are applying to and the school decides whether to accept any, all, or none of the recommendations. The reality is colleges and universities exist to sell their own courses, a community college isn't going to take 60 hours of military credit and hand you a degree, same what with a university - they are not going to take 120 hours and hand you a degree. Most school have strict admissions policies on the type and quantity of transfer credit they will accept and what they do accept will normally be applied to elective areas.

>>>>

DD Form 2586 Verification of military Experience and Training.

This form gives Credit Recommendations from the American Council on Education. When I retired I had a total of 73 Semester Hours recommended. Never did anything with it. I probably should have. I don't even know for certain what that would equal out to.

This form gives Credit Recommendations from the American Council on Education. When I retired I had a total of 73 Semester Hours recommended. Never did anything with it. I probably should have. I don't even know for certain what that would equal out to.

Ya, something like that. The important point is that they are recommendations, no hours are actually awarded until a school accepts all (or only some) of those hours and they appear on the school transcripts.

60 hours is normally the benchmark asscociated with an Associated Degree and 120 hours for a Bachelors Degree.

>>>>

Ya, something like that. The important point is that they are recommendations, no hours are actually awarded until a school accepts all (or only some) of those hours and they appear on the school transcripts.

60 hours is normally the benchmark asscociated with an Associated Degree and 120 hours for a Bachelors Degree.

>>>>

Damn, with the actual classes I took, and all the Clep and DANTES, I could be on my way to a Doctorate.... How come I don't feel that smart?

Since when does speaking in a calm, forthright, manner encourage spittle?

You're barking up the wrong tree...you might want a buscuit....

First, I have no idea what a buscuit is. Second, it reads like a rant.

I can only realy speak of the Navy.

Travel is the number one benny of being in the Navy. I got paid to go places people save thier entire lives for just to see one of them.

There are a vast range of jobs (rates) that he can do. Also if he's unsure, he can sign up as a "Striker". this give you the chance to look into an array of rates before you pcik one. I don't fully recommend it, b/c strikers get used and abused until they pick something.

Ask how quickly rates promote. Some are full and advance slowly, some are in high demand in the civilian world, so promotions happen quickly.

Remind him that Bootcamp is 8 weeks and 8 weeks only. Navy boot is more of a brain game than a physical one. We don't march around with packs, but we need you to react when the ship is on fire, or flooding.

Being on Subs was part of the best times of my life. A small crew where we knew each other, and relied on each other.

If he wants to meet chicks; Corpman, not yeoman is the way to go. (nurse, not secretary)

PM me if you want more.

What's a corpman?

corpsman. sorry, typo. My computer doesn't have auto spell check.

get firefox, that thing has an auto spell checker built in.

Whatever branch he chooses, and despite what the recruiter might tell him, he can count on spending his first two years (or more if he doesn't make any rank) scrubbing floors and cleaning toilets.

Yes, well, pretty much any job you get, you're going to start out doing the scut work, whatever scut work it happens to have.

Forum List

Back