Which Branch To Choose?

Discussion in 'Military' started by Cecilie1200, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    My fifteen-year-old son is starting to give serious thought to which branch of the military he wishes to join when he graduates high school. I've given him what basic information I can on what each branch does, and directed him to the websites for each. My menfolk are more than willing to talk to him about it, but they're all a bit biased. My husband favors the Air Force, since his father was retired from that branch. Our roommate is a big fan of the Coast Guard (yes, for those who want to argue, the Coast Guard IS a branch of the military) since he was in the Coast Guard. And my best friend is an enthusiastic fan of the Marines, since he was a Marine.

I've told him he should consider what kind of things he would be interested in learning to do while in the military, and what he wants to do with himself afterward, since so many of the skills learned in the military translate into civilian job fields. And, of course, when he's a little farther into his research on the subject and has a better idea what questions he wants to ask, I will be taking him to the recruiters of his choice to get information.

Knowing that many on USMB have been in the military and/or know a lot about it, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any insight, tips, or suggestions they'd like to offer my son and me as we ponder his future military service.

2. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
  3. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    You've already hit on it. Really it all depends upon what he wants to do with his life during and afterward.

The Air Force is a bit more technical over all, but the other branches all have technical positions as well.

The Army has the greatest amount of career choices.

The Navy has the best chance for travel.

The Marines.. ... .... .... well they are the Marines.

The Coast Guard will spend less time on training and more time on mission.

But he's 15.... Tell him to enjoy his teenage years for at least 2 years before he really gets serious about the service. And then visit all the recruiters. Get the real deal at the time. Things change quickly in recruitment as to what they can offer....

Most important of all is to do well on the ASVAB, the better the score, the better the choice of jobs.

Different Uniforms
    Different Missions
    Same Flag :salute:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
  5. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    The peace corps and USPHS require college. Unless the economy improves and the unemployment rate goes down in the next 2-3 years when your son joins, he will be waiting in line to get in with a whole bunch of other people. Ollie gives great advice. He needs to enjoy his teen years and do good on the ASVAB. I recommend any branch that interests him. I spent 26 years as a Navy Corpsman with three tours with the Marines. My son will commission soon in the Marines. All branches combine to make the world's best fighting force. That is the business of the military, to fight, to kill, and to possibly be killed. Therefore, the choice to join is highly personal and should be the sole decision of the recruit.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    THAT is very useful information to have. Any suggestions on how one prepares to do well on this?

He's started showing an interest in Dad and Uncle Sean helping him exercise and get healthier, on the theory that it will make whatever basic training program he goes into easier if he starts out in better shape. I think it's a good idea just in general, anyway.

7. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Why in God's name would he want to waste his time like that?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I don't see researching his choices, particularly when it's something he's getting progressively more excited about, as a barrier to enjoying being a teenager. To the contrary, the farther he has gotten into adolescence, the more he has come to enjoy spending time with the male figures in his life, participating in masculine pursuits and identifying with them in general. I don't pretend to understand it myself, being a woman, but it seems logical to me that it would be an important part of him becoming a man, so . . .

9. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    I hope he won't be dissappointed to discover there are women in the armed forces as well as men.

10. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,259
    J, we're talking the Cesspit here. Why would she encourage anybody she knows to join a selfless organisation whose sole purpose is to help those less fortunate?

This is a woman (?) who likes using whips and chains for chrissakes...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3