Which Branch To Choose?

He should know all of his options if he's debating joining the military. I do think he should wait before making any decisions-joining the military isn't simply a job-and requires real dedication, and commitment. I'm not so sure any 15 year old is ready to make such a big decision 3 years in the future. With that said he doesn't have to join right out of highschool, he could also attend college then become an officer after-I talked to the military right before I graduated last year (unfortunately I have a bad leg from a car accident, and I can't pass the medical tests). I know other people who have done this route too-it's a great way to serve the country. And the military isn't for everyone-and that's ok too-there are others ways to serve your country and community.

Coming from a big military family, I'd suggest you tell him to wait a while before making up his mind.

Regardless best of luck to your son in whatever decision he makes. :clap2:

He should know all of his options if he's debating joining the military. I do think he should wait before making any decisions-joining the military isn't simply a job-and requires real dedication, and commitment. I'm not so sure any 15 year old is ready to make such a big decision 3 years in the future. With that said he doesn't have to join right out of highschool, he could also attend college then become an officer after-I talked to the military right before I graduated last year (unfortunately I have a bad leg from a car accident, and I can't pass the medical tests). I know other people who have done this route too-it's a great way to serve the country. And the military isn't for everyone-and that's ok too-there are others ways to serve your country and community.

Coming from a big military family, I'd suggest you tell him to wait a while before making up his mind.

Well, since he's only fifteen, he's got three years before he can do anything. I'd call that a while. And at the moment, we're just gathering info.

The problem with going to college BEFORE the military is that that leaves him with the problem of how to pay for college. I rather like the idea that someone else proposed of a more joint college-military plan that included ROTC (if I'm remembering the post correctly).

Well, since he's only fifteen, he's got three years before he can do anything. I'd call that a while. And at the moment, we're just gathering info.

The problem with going to college BEFORE the military is that that leaves him with the problem of how to pay for college. I rather like the idea that someone else proposed of a more joint college-military plan that included ROTC (if I'm remembering the post correctly).

That was me. If he qualifies for ROTC, he gets a full ride plus a monthly stipend. You spend the summer on duty as part of your learning. He graduates as an officer and is committed for the same amount of years as his education. A great way to get a "free" education and be the one who orders grunts to scrub toilets instead of being the grunt.

That was me. If he qualifies for ROTC, he gets a full ride plus a monthly stipend. You spend the summer on duty as part of your learning. He graduates as an officer and is committed for the same amount of years as his education. A great way to get a "free" education and be the one who orders grunts to scrub toilets instead of being the grunt.

Thanks again for that, and for reclarifying. Obviously, we'll have to see what my son is like when he's eighteen, but I rather like it.

Thanks again for that, and for reclarifying. Obviously, we'll have to see what my son is like when he's eighteen, but I rather like it.

He has to maintain his grades and score well on ACT or SAT to qualify.

Army ROTC | GoArmy.com

U.S. Air Force ROTC - College Scholarships and Careers

NROTC : Education Opportunities : Joining the Navy : Navy.com

If he decides he doesn't want to go military, the Department of Defense has a similar program where you do summer internships with a guaranteed job after graduation where you are committed to working for them after college for the same number of years as you went to college.

SMART - Science, Mathematics & Research for Transformation - Part of the National Defense Education Program

Not least of the the information a young man might consider in making a decision, is one I briefly thought about, and set aside: where and in what mode of transportation is one likely to serve during their tour of service.

My brother served in the USN and I chose the Marines. We both were in Communications Military Occupational Specialties. I served a short stint on a ship (an APA) and that impressed me a whole lot, but I was in my last year of 4-years of my service.

The whole "at sea" experience was magnificent, and the communications equipment the sailors had was vastly superior to ours, both on ship and back at Camp Lejeune.

If a young man does not make a decision based on the mission, traditions, and history, he might want to consider the equipment and transportation system he will be utilizing during his tour of service. The main distinction would be by ship (Navy) or by plane (Air Force). One is far more likely to spend time at sea than in an airplane while serving.

I can't help how you read....

buscuit = cookie

Perhaps it's the way you write. For instance, biscuit = cookie. Buscuit equals bad writing.

or maybe you knew exactly what he was saying.

nothing in his post was a "rant".

now, the o/p on the other hand. :cuckoo:

Tell me, what is :cuckoo: about the OP?

My fifteen-year-old son is starting to give serious thought to which branch of the military he wishes to join when he graduates high school. I've given him what basic information I can on what each branch does, and directed him to the websites for each. My menfolk are more than willing to talk to him about it, but they're all a bit biased. My husband favors the Air Force, since his father was retired from that branch. Our roommate is a big fan of the Coast Guard (yes, for those who want to argue, the Coast Guard IS a branch of the military) since he was in the Coast Guard. And my best friend is an enthusiastic fan of the Marines, since he was a Marine.

I've told him he should consider what kind of things he would be interested in learning to do while in the military, and what he wants to do with himself afterward, since so many of the skills learned in the military translate into civilian job fields. And, of course, when he's a little farther into his research on the subject and has a better idea what questions he wants to ask, I will be taking him to the recruiters of his choice to get information.

Knowing that many on USMB have been in the military and/or know a lot about it, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any insight, tips, or suggestions they'd like to offer my son and me as we ponder his future military service.

What isn't ranty about Grump's post?

Oh, and the only people thinking I'm making an arse of myself are the right wing cabal..and really, who gives a shit about them?

I know Cesspit well enough to know that she is not reaching out for shit. She sees messageboards as her own little playground and a pulpit. She doesn't discuss, she lectures. If you honestly believe she gives a flying fuck about anybody's advice on this board you are sorely mistaken. All she is doing is self-aggrandising about her son, and/or trying to figure out if she knows more than others about the different branches. Note how most of her answers are lectures to others on their opinions.

She is just a know-all, but doesn't really know anything...shrug...

He has to maintain his grades and score well on ACT or SAT to qualify.

Army ROTC | GoArmy.com

U.S. Air Force ROTC - College Scholarships and Careers

NROTC : Education Opportunities : Joining the Navy : Navy.com

If he decides he doesn't want to go military, the Department of Defense has a similar program where you do summer internships with a guaranteed job after graduation where you are committed to working for them after college for the same number of years as you went to college.

SMART - Science, Mathematics & Research for Transformation - Part of the National Defense Education Program

His grades are quite good. Both my older children are quite smart, but - thankfully - Nicky actually ENJOYS being smart and is extremely curious. It seems to be the bane of my daughter's existence that she was born into an educated family of geeks instead of some blue-collar family whose biggest intellectual challenge is correctly figuring their bowling scores. ::sigh::

But I digress. Grades are no obstacle. I'm more curious to see what his personality turns out like as an adult, since he's quite the gentle, affectionate person at the moment. I admit that I find it difficult to picture him as a soldier in any capacity. But . . . teaching masculinity is a function for the males of the family, not me. We'll see how it works out.

Not least of the the information a young man might consider in making a decision, is one I briefly thought about, and set aside: where and in what mode of transportation is one likely to serve during their tour of service.

My brother served in the USN and I chose the Marines. We both were in Communications Military Occupational Specialties. I served a short stint on a ship (an APA) and that impressed me a whole lot, but I was in my last year of 4-years of my service.

The whole "at sea" experience was magnificent, and the communications equipment the sailors had was vastly superior to ours, both on ship and back at Camp Lejeune.

If a young man does not make a decision based on the mission, traditions, and history, he might want to consider the equipment and transportation system he will be utilizing during his tour of service. The main distinction would be by ship (Navy) or by plane (Air Force). One is far more likely to spend time at sea than in an airplane while serving.

In that regard, he's leaning rather strongly toward the Air Force, because he's fascinated by the possibility of learning to fly. I don't find that particularly surprising, since one of the largest employers in our city is the Air Force base, and we actually live right across the street from the graveyard where they store excess planes. Conversely, of course, we live in a desert, so he has virtually no experience with boats or large bodies of water, so I'm also not surprised that he's given them little to no thought or interest. Besides, the two ex-Navy members we know are my husband's friend, Steve, who spent his entire time stationed off of Guantanamo Bay, and speaks rather negatively of how boring it was; and my brother-in-law, who's a general douchebag.

Air Force isn't a bad choice. He does need to remember that everyone in the Air Force does not fly. But they do seem to have the best housing, food, and clubs.....

Air Force isn't a bad choice. He does need to remember that everyone in the Air Force does not fly. But they do seem to have the best housing, food, and clubs.....

That's exactly what I was going to say.

I was Army, and I loved it and if I had to do it again, I'd choose the Army again...but...

I was often TDY (Temporary DutY) to many joint service assignments on Air Force Bases and they were much nicer than the Army Posts I have been assigned to.

I was at MacDill AFB in Tampa, they had their own beach :eek:.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

I was Army, and I loved it and if I had to do it again, I'd choose the Army again...but...

I was often TDY (Temporary DutY) to many joint service assignments on Air Force Bases and they were much nicer than the Army Posts I have been assigned to.

I was at MacDill AFB in Tampa, they had their own beach :eek:.

Hey now, The Army has their own private beach too. Of course you have to get to Camp Darby Italy to go to it.

That has been pointed out to him several times, not only by me but by Uncles Blair and Sean, who are each lobbying for their own branch of the service.

I've been a lurker here for some time and thought I'd throw my hat in on this one.

First and foremost, I have almost eight years of service at present. I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 2000 as a Infantryman (0352), did four years and six months on active duty, then decided to ETS in mid 2004. I was out for almost four years before entering the Army as a Intelligence Analyst. I chose the Army simply because the Corps makes you jump through hoops just to come back in. They don't like it when you leave, and essentially punish you when you attempt to come back in. I did less than two years as an intel cat before going back to a combat arms MOS, namely a Combat Engineer. I simply hated the intel field.

Regardless of how much I love my current job, what I do, and how we do it. I will always have a singular love for the Corps. It made me the man I am today, and it's something I just don't see very often in today's Soldiers.

My suggestion would be to gauge exactly what he wants to do. Whether it's combat arms, intel, commo, avionics, maintenance (fixed, rotary-wing, or vehicle), METT, SF, and a myriad of other positions the four branches offer. BTW, the CG is not a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. They fall under DoHS.

If he has any questions I'd be more than willing to answer I can.

Last edited:
I've been a lurker here for some time and thought I'd throw my hat in on this one.

First and foremost, I have almost eight years of service at present. I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 2000 as a Infantryman (0352), did four years and six months on active duty, then decided to ETS in mid 2004. I was out for almost four years before entering the Army as a Intelligence Analyst. I chose the Army simply because the Corps makes you jump through hoops just to come back in. They don't like it when you leave, and essentially punish you when you attempt to come back in. I did less than two years as an intel cat before going back to a combat arms MOS, namely a Combat Engineer. I simply hated the intel field.

Regardless of how much I love my current job, what I do, and how we do it. I will always have a singular love for the Corps. It made me the man I am today, and it's something I just don't see very often in today's Soldiers.

My suggestion would be to gauge exactly what he wants to do. Whether it's combat arms, intel, commo, avionics, maintenance (fixed, rotary-wing, or vehicle), METT, SF, and a myriad of other positions the four branches offer. BTW, the CG is not a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. They fall under DoHS.

If he has any questions I'd be more than willing to answer I can.

Whie the Coast Guard does normally fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security, due to the marked differences between its mission and purpose and those of the other branches, it IS, nevertheless, a branch of the US military, and can be transferred to the control of the Department of Defense as needed in wartime.

"The U.S. Coast Guard is one of the five armed forces of the United States and the only military organization within the Department of Homeland Security."
USCG: About Us - Overview

Please note, for example, that their website is allowed to have the ".mil" designation, which is only allowed to the military. Also, the US has five federal military service academies. The Coast Guard Academy, in New London, CT, is one of them.

If he is at all interested in math and science check out this link.

United States Merchant Marine Academy

Maritime Academies
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Military Academy, Kings Point, NY
United States Merchant Marine Academy Regimental Band Kings Point, NY
California Maritime Academy California State University, Vallejo, CA
Great Lakes Maritime Academy Northwestern Michigan College, Traverse City, MI
Maine Maritime Academy Castine, MA
Massachusetts Maritime Academy Buzzards Bay, MA
New York Maritime Academy State University of New York, Fort Schuyler, NY
Sea Education Association Woods Hole, MA
Texas Maritime Academy Texas A&M University, Galveston, TX
Maritime Schools Links to world Merchant Marine, Naval, Coast Guard, Military, Oceanographic schools

Last edited:
I think what ultimately be a more important decision than which branch, is which job field. Get in an overmanned job field, and never make rank

Forum List

Back