Which Branch To Choose?

Knowing that many on USMB have been in the military and/or know a lot about it, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any insight, tips, or suggestions they'd like to offer my son and me as we ponder his future military service.

Considering the fact that I was an electron pusher and not a career counselor, I'd still be happy to share some thoughts for your son...

Do an honest evaluation of why you are joining.

I fault no one for doing an initial hitch in the military for whatever reason. Oh sure most will tell you about serving their country, patriotism, etc..., etc... But the reality is there are many and varied reasons for joining: College Financing, Technical Schools, no employment prospects, get away from Mommy and/or Daddy (present company excluded, etc..., etc... And of course "Travel" which translates to mean going out on liberty and having the option of drinking vast quantities of alcohol, being thrown out of trashy bars and having sex with strange and exotic women.

When I was a Deckplate Leader in the Navy I would be honest with you and tell you right up front - "I don't give a rats ass WHY you joined, the only think I care about is you give me 100% all the time." By the time that first hitch is ending I only want you reenlisting for one reason - you believe in what you do and you like being part of something bigger than you are.

What you do isn't your choice, it's what the military needs.

That's the reality. The military needs certain skill sets in certain jobs, they are looking to train people into those skill sets. A person can want to be a jet mechanic on the F-22 Raptor all day long, but if the Air Force doesn't think you are trainable, you won't get the schools.

If it ain't in writing it don't mean shit.

One last thing, and this gem was told to me by my uncle, a 24-year Navy man that enlisted as an E-1 and retired as a LCDR and I pass it along to you. No matter what service recruiter **says** they (the service) will do for you after boot camp, where you will be stationed, what schools you will attend - if it ain't in writing, don't believe shit.

If the intent of joining (remember to be honest here) is to learn a trade, then make sure the technical school is part of the enlistment contract and is a follow on to boot camp. If you have the qualifications (good grades, ASVAB scores, etc...) to qualify for a rating school, get it in the contract or don't whine when it doesn't pan out.

Don't get me wrong I love the military, but things happen. If you want to make sure they happen, get it in writing.

>>>>

Years ago you didn't have to choose. All you hd to do was sit back and wait ro be inducted into the Army. Today you get a bonus. All I can say is that there are ex-Army and ex-Navy and ex-Airforce but no ex-Marines. Once a Marine always a Marine.

Step 1: Figure out what his general like is. If he wants to be a engineer, research the engineer corps in each branch.

Step 2: Take the ASVAB, STUDY! Honestly, it makes a huge difference. If you have a guy who made a 40 vs a guy who made a 80, the recruiter is going to do more for the 80 guy.

Step 3: Talk to recruiters. Please, don't trust them, if they say something your not for sure on, research it a LOT. Recruiters are care salesmen of the military.

Step 4: Pro and Con list each branch.

Step 5: Make the choice.

US Army: Huge, Get to have your job assigned before you even go to MEPS, only branch that does this, that I know of.

US Navy: A lot of engineer jobs that I know of, and travel. Also, they have the same ASVAB requirement as the Air Force (50), at least, as far as I know.

US Air Force: A lot of mechanics/administrative jobs, has a ASVAB requirement of 50, like the Navy.

US Marine Corps: Marines are rifleman first, a lot of combat-oriented positions.

US Coast Guard: HUGE requirements on the ASVAB. I heard it's still 65, but I am not sure, will check on it if I can.

In the end, really, each branch has the same job as the other, just different name. Example:

Army: Military Police, Navy: Military Police, Air Force: Security Forces, Marine Corps: Military Police, Coast Guard: So far that I know, they are currently forming a Military Police unit, but they have jobs that are related to it. For more info, just ask.

Either way, each branch has the same stuff, but each has its own focus. I don't advise any, I simply tell what I know, and try to be helpful. Serving in any branch is just as honorable as the next, to me.

Good luck, and I hope he does well. He is starting early, take the ASVAB, score high, if ya have to retake it, I believe their is a year long wait period you have to do, but if he scores above, well, whatever you want to make your limit, he'll probably get what he wants. Takes patience and dedication to stay in the DEP long enough to get it.

~Edit~

Also, their is NO sign up bonus right now, that I know of, the only jobs I know of who are getting sign up bonuses, or even close to getting one, are EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) and I think Spec Ops, but I am not sure. I know I was told not to expect one. ~Edit~ I am speaking on my experience, I could very well be wrong. If I am, I apologize.

Last edited:
Knowing that many on USMB have been in the military and/or know a lot about it, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any insight, tips, or suggestions they'd like to offer my son and me as we ponder his future military service.

Considering the fact that I was an electron pusher and not a career counselor, I'd still be happy to share some thoughts for your son...

I fault no one for doing an initial hitch in the military for whatever reason. Oh sure most will tell you about serving their country, patriotism, etc..., etc... But the reality is there are many and varied reasons for joining: College Financing, Technical Schools, no employment prospects, get away from Mommy and/or Daddy (present company excluded, etc..., etc... And of course "Travel" which translates to mean going out on liberty and having the option of drinking vast quantities of alcohol, being thrown out of trashy bars and having sex with strange and exotic women.

When I was a Deckplate Leader in the Navy I would be honest with you and tell you right up front - "I don't give a rats ass WHY you joined, the only think I care about is you give me 100% all the time." By the time that first hitch is ending I only want you reenlisting for one reason - you believe in what you do and you like being part of something bigger than you are.

That's the reality. The military needs certain skill sets in certain jobs, they are looking to train people into those skill sets. A person can want to be a jet mechanic on the F-22 Raptor all day long, but if the Air Force doesn't think you are trainable, you won't get the schools.

One last thing, and this gem was told to me by my uncle, a 24-year Navy man that enlisted as an E-1 and retired as a LCDR and I pass it along to you. No matter what service recruiter **says** they (the service) will do for you after boot camp, where you will be stationed, what schools you will attend - if it ain't in writing, don't believe shit.

If the intent of joining (remember to be honest here) is to learn a trade, then make sure the technical school is part of the enlistment contract and is a follow on to boot camp. If you have the qualifications (good grades, ASVAB scores, etc...) to qualify for a rating school, get it in the contract or don't whine when it doesn't pan out.

Don't get me wrong I love the military, but things happen. If you want to make sure they happen, get it in writing.

>>>>

In bold

that goes for every single last branch of the military.

recruiters have a point system, each person that signs up is worth points, the more and/or harder things they sign up for the more points.

In the Navy you should still be able to pick your Rate, where you school (as long as there is a school there) and your first duty station. But all that must be written down or it never happened. Also the ability to request all that depends on how much the Navy needs you. Cooks, good luck, nuclear electronic techs... I will go here and then there or I will talk to another service.

>>>>

Thanks very much for this. Personally, I tend to apply that "don't trust it if it's not in writing" thing to pretty much everyone, but then, I'm not a trusting person.

If I had to guess, I'd say his motivations are mixed: partly it's about paying for college, since his father and I won't; partly it's about wanting to learn to do stuff that excites him, like working with all the cool machines and hardware the military uses; partly it's identifying with the male role models in his life, all of whom are enthusiastic military fans, and growing into his own masculinity; partly it's patriotism and wanting to protect his country, which would probably also be related to identifying with the men in his life.

And I do tell him to remember that just because he wants to learn to do something doesn't mean they'll teach him, that they do test people to see if they qualify to do whatever it is, so make sure he's interested in the entire branch of service, not just one small aspect of it.

J, we're talking the Cesspit here. Why would she encourage anybody she knows to join a selfless organisation whose sole purpose is to help those less fortunate?

This is a woman (?) who likes using whips and chains for chrissakes...

good point.

silly moi.

You ARE silly . . . to think any child of mine would be stupid enough to want to waste his time and cost his parents money simply to use the people of the third world to pat himself on the back and feel superior, rather than joining the military and doing something that's GENUINELY useful.

I don't raise my kids to be puffed-up narcissists.

While I can understand what you're saying, I don't think it's fair to slam Jillian for her views. Nor is it fair to slam the peace corps.... it's not a one thing or the other, or a case of right or wrong.... there is room for both and a need for both.

And tell us how you feel the first time your son gets shipped out to a war zone. The reality of having family in the midst of a war is not something anyone should take lightly.

Another thought.

If he goes into the military prior to college, and one of his goals is to finance his college education, he can get a really great jump on it for free.

While on active duty he can take the 5 basic CLEP tests. Each test is worth 6 college credits. 30 credits or one year of college for 5 tests. And any HS Graduate should be able to pass them easily.

Then after that there are DANTES tests, which he can take on hundreds of subjects they are worth anywhere from 1 to 5 credit hours each. I think the weirdest one I took was on forestry. I knew nothing about it but took the test on a whim and got 2 credit hours in forestry.

Most colleges will accept these tests and award the credits toward a degree. And there are always on-base courses by accredited Universities. When you aren't deployed that is.

Another thought.

If he goes into the military prior to college, and one of his goals is to finance his college education, he can get a really great jump on it for free.

While on active duty he can take the 5 basic CLEP tests. Each test is worth 6 college credits. 30 credits or one year of college for 5 tests. And any HS Graduate should be able to pass them easily.

Then after that there are DANTES tests, which he can take on hundreds of subjects they are worth anywhere from 1 to 5 credit hours each. I think the weirdest one I took was on forestry. I knew nothing about it but took the test on a whim and got 2 credit hours in forestry.

Most colleges will accept these tests and award the credits toward a degree. And there are always on-base courses by accredited Universities. When you aren't deployed that is.

Just being in the service can get you some credits. Some are based on time in, what you actually do and just for being in.

I have 3 credits for rope handling boatsmanship. Since I was an Elec Tech, I never got to use them, but I did have them.

Being an ET2 gave me all but the final credit needed for an asc degree.

good point.

silly moi.

You ARE silly . . . to think any child of mine would be stupid enough to want to waste his time and cost his parents money simply to use the people of the third world to pat himself on the back and feel superior, rather than joining the military and doing something that's GENUINELY useful.

While I can understand what you're saying, I don't think it's fair to slam Jillian for her views. Nor is it fair to slam the peace corps.... it's not a one thing or the other, or a case of right or wrong.... there is room for both and a need for both.

And tell us how you feel the first time your son gets shipped out to a war zone. The reality of having family in the midst of a war is not something anyone should take lightly.

It is completely "fair" (whatever the fuck that means) to slam Jillian for wandering into a thread and interjecting something utterly irrelevant to the topic merely to harass me. Did I ask any questions that even vaguely suggested that the Peace Corp was in any way the topic? No, I don't think so. If she didn't want to discuss a choice between branches of military, she shouldn't have entered the thread. If she didn't want to be told that I think she's a worthless oxygen thief without the brains to fill an egg cup, she shouldn't have decided to follow me around and harass me. She did those things, so obviously she enjoys having contempt heaped on her.

It is also completely "fair" (again, whatever the fuck that means) to slam the Peace Corp if I think they're an utter waste of time and energy, and I do. I am not obliged to treat either Jillian or the Peace Corp with a respect I don't feel and don't think they deserve just because YOU like them, and I'm not obliged to justify my feelings on any subject to you. Please remember this the next time you feel qualified to lecture me on what I'm supposed to think about something.

It is completely "fair" (whatever the fuck that means) to slam Jillian for wandering into a thread and interjecting something utterly irrelevant to the topic merely to harass me. Did I ask any questions that even vaguely suggested that the Peace Corp was in any way the topic? No, I don't think so. If she didn't want to discuss a choice between branches of military, she shouldn't have entered the thread. If she didn't want to be told that I think she's a worthless oxygen thief without the brains to fill an egg cup, she shouldn't have decided to follow me around and harass me. She did those things, so obviously she enjoys having contempt heaped on her.

It is also completely "fair" (again, whatever the fuck that means) to slam the Peace Corp if I think they're an utter waste of time and energy, and I do. I am not obliged to treat either Jillian or the Peace Corp with a respect I don't feel and don't think they deserve just because YOU like them, and I'm not obliged to justify my feelings on any subject to you. Please remember this the next time you feel qualified to lecture me on what I'm supposed to think about something.

Just how big is that chip on your shoulder?

I'll tell you what I do know, Cecilie.... I know the reality of having brothers in the Military. I know the reality of the gut wrenching fear every fucking time one or more of them ships out somewhere where some bastard wants nothing more than to kill them. I know what it's like to avoid watching the news.... at the same time as being desperate to watch it. I know what it's like to hear about some incident in the same area where I know my brother is. I know what it's like to jump every time the phone rings and pray that it's just work. I know what it's like to stand in the rain and watch coffins return and grieve for those who are gone... and at the same time thank God that it's not one of mine.

You think the military is about uniforms, and learning skills and travel and medals? I kno the reality of it is can be worse than your worst nightmare.

Not that I'm saying your son should not join, or that you shouldn't be proud of him for choosing to serve. I'm just telling you what the reality is.

You called her cesspit, in a thread in which she is reaching out to us for info to help her son.

How did you think it would go after you made a public ass of yourself?

You called her cesspit, in a thread in which she is reaching out to us for info to help her son.

And that gives her the right to speak to CG in a condescending manner?

As for being a Cesspit...just calling it as I see it.....

Last edited:

You're playing catch with your kid.
someone comes by and kicks you in the nuts
you go back to playing catch
another person comes by and kicks you in the nuts
you go off on that person
go back to playing catch
another person come by and defends the 2nd nut kicker
you just stand there and take it or do you go off?

fyi

Insulting people from the get go, Is not calling it as you see it. It's being an asshole

Oh, and the only people thinking I'm making an arse of myself are the right wing cabal..and really, who gives a shit about them?

I know Cesspit well enough to know that she is not reaching out for shit. She sees messageboards as her own little playground and a pulpit. She doesn't discuss, she lectures. If you honestly believe she gives a flying fuck about anybody's advice on this board you are sorely mistaken. All she is doing is self-aggrandising about her son, and/or trying to figure out if she knows more than others about the different branches. Note how most of her answers are lectures to others on their opinions.

She is just a know-all, but doesn't really know anything...shrug...

Last edited:

You're playing catch with your kid.
someone comes by and kicks you in the nuts
you go back to playing catch
another person comes by and kicks you in the nuts
you go off on that person
go back to playing catch
another person come by and defends the 2nd nut kicker
you just stand there and take it or do you go off?

fyi

Insulting people from the get go, Is not calling it as you see it. It's being an asshole

Yeah, well, being a newb you have no idea. Her first post to me was an insult. At the risk of sounding like a kid in the playground, she started it...shrug..She don't like it, she should learn some manners..

Speaking of arseholes, back at you retard....

Another thought.

That was, indeed, part of the plan, as his father and I have always told our children we have no intention of paying for their college. We will happily help them out by providing room and board, assistance with transportation, etc., but the tuition and book costs are theirs to deal with. His older sister has found other methods of financing her secondary education, and Nicky has apparently decided to go by way of the military.

Forum List

Back