Which Book Have You Read the Most?

I've read Breakfast of Champions a bunch of times. I love that book.

asshole_by_vonnegut.jpg

Why?
I didn\t like it either.
What about it didn't you like?

Holden was seriously irritating. So, the entire book.

What do you find so exceptional and praise worthy about it, exactly?
The guy that shot John lennon was obcessed with that book.

It was an iconic coming of age book when it was first published, boring tripe as far as i am concerned.

What about it didn't you like?

Holden was seriously irritating. So, the entire book.

What do you find so exceptional and praise worthy about it, exactly?
The guy that shot John lennon was obcessed with that book.

It was an iconic coming of age book when it was first published, boring tripe as far as i am concerned.
I was a senior when I read it for the first time, I somewhat related with Holden. I have always liked the fucked up shit where the person is slowly going crazy.

I am reading " Sun Yat Sen" right now, very interesting but very boring.

As Playboy has been taken I will fall back to my alternate book(s). Will and Ariel Durant's "Story Of Civilisation.'

The sex in the Vatacan during Borgia's time is to die for.

As Playboy has been taken I will fall back to my alternate book(s). Will and Ariel Durant's "Story Of Civilisation.'

A great choice; Being "synthesized" history, a reader can jump in anywhere in those volumes and be connected to the reality of the past. My favs are Caesar and Christ, The Renaissance, The Age of Napoleon, and The Life of Greece, in that order.

Caesar and Christ is my most dog-eared volume, but I've never read it from start to finish, nor any of the others.

It opens with these beautiful lines, first page excerpt: "Italy: Quiet hamlets in the mountain valleys, spacious pastures on the slopes, lakes upheld in the chalice of the hills, fields green or yellow verging toward blue seas, villages and towns drowsy under the noon sun and then alive with passion, cities in which, amid dust and dirt, everything from cottage to cathedral seems beautiful — this for two thousand years has been Italy. . . . ."

And how many times have you read it?

Why that book?
The Bible thousands of times.

I read back through verses to understand the meanings. It is so much easier now that one has the different Internet libraries for study tools to understand the original Hebrew and Greek words.

Dukhrana is another good site we found for seeking out the meanings to Greek words. Mary and Joseph.

The Outsiders - once I pick it up and I just have to sit and read the whole thing.

The Velveteen Rabbit - once of my favorite kid's books. My kids are way beyond that now but when they were little that and Goodnight Moon and The Fire Cat.

I have to read more. I got out of the habit a few years back when I went back to school to finish my degree and never got back into the habit again. Pretty lame. This place doesn't help; I spend too much time here!

How's that? Why is it undeserving of its literary reputation?

Because it's a piece of shit.

A go nowhere story about the angst of a socially awkward high school pussy! Wow, fucking brilliant. :doubt:

Your understanding of the book seems superficial. The story itself is okay... the style in which is was written is unique, its social commentary is incisive, and it describes the socially awkward teenage male psyche incredibly accurately. Did you think it was intended to be meaningless narrative about a bunch of random shit some dropout kid did for a few days?

I'll take your word for it. :lol:

The Stand...over and over...

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings... heaven knows how many times since high school.

Goodnight moon was one of my son's faves.. i miss reading that over and over.

The Tolkienist universe is probably one of the most underutilized literary sources, along with the Star Wars Expanded Universe. It's fortunate that The Hobbit will finally be released as a film this year, but the LOTR film trilogy, as impressive as it was, failed to incorporate many substantial portions of the books that deserved inclusion (Tom Bombadil and the Barrow-Wights, Glorfindel, the battle of the Shire and the legitimate deaths of Saruman and Wormtongue, etc.) This deficiency could probably have been remedied by stretching the entire Lord of the Rings saga into five films rather than three, particularly since Jackson had already switched portions of the books into different movies (for instance, the battle with Shelob was placed into the third film although it was in the second book).

I also wouldn't mind seeing a film version of The Silmarillon and would be pleased to see depictions of other events in the First and Second Ages, most obviously the many battles between Morgoth and the Valar and the peoples of Middle-Earth.

I've read the Honor Harrington series by David Weber quite a few times. I couldn't give you a detailed explanation of why, but I always get drawn into those books.

I, too, have read The Stand many times.

I've gone back to the original Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist a bunch over the years.

I've been through the first 4 books of the vampire series by Anne Rice multiple times.

And, of course, there's always the Hitchhiker's trilogy. Douglas Adams knew how to put together a funny yet very readable story.

It's funny that Dune and the Rings books were both mentioned here; I've read each more than once, but wasn't overly impressed with either (if you wonder why I read them more than once if I didn't enjoy them that much, it's because they are classics of sci-fi/fantasy, and I wanted to make sure to give them a chance to grab my imagination). The only times I can recall enjoying a movie more than a book was with the Rings trilogy, and I preferred the Sci-Fi channel miniseries of Dune to the book. I almost feel badly about it, especially LOTR, since it was such a huge influence on modern fantasy.

i rarely read a book twice...i read it and pass it along...book hoarding can lead to thousands of books..

the one i read most..fanny farmers cookbook

the one i read for pleasure..."a separate peace" john knowles

"to kill a mockingbird" harper lee

i enjoy plays more..

who is afraid of virginia wolf
cat on a hot tin roof
pumpboys and dinenettes (msp)

Forum List

Back