Where do you republicans draw the line on privatizing government services?

I really want you to think this through. Think about every example of government service in this country and give me an answer on which ones should be privatized.

1) Should the police and fire departments be privatized?

"Sorry ma'am, we can't put out your fire because you can't give me the $500 fee my boss demands. I'm going to see if your neighbor will pay their fee so we can at least save their house before this blaze gets out of control."

"Sorry, fine couple, I can't do any forensic work on this crime scene that left your son dead unless you can pay the $1000 fee of Basic Investigation. If you give me $1500, we'll upgrade you to the Deluxe Package of actually arresting the prime suspect seen leaving the scene of the crime."

2) How about our roads? You know, ANY roads funded by revenue that people can drive on?

"Sorry, Sir, I can't let you leave Cincinnati without you forking over the toll of $200 that would allow you to leave and then return to your beloved city."

3) Oh and how about our water supply? No need for pesky environmental regulations in that case!

"Sir, our competition has dumped toxic waste in the Arkansas river that is in the center of our jurisdiction. What do we do?"

"Take them to court! We'll sue their asses off even if it takes months for us to get the damages to clean out the waste! Until then, we'll sell the citizens our Extra Clean bottled water."

4) Oooo here's another! Privatizing ALL schools without ANY pesky government red tape!

"Sorry, Ma'am, we can't let your straight-A son graduate his senior year because you're short on your premium this week. Oh and by the way, your 9th grade daughter can no longer show up to school until you pay. It's a shame. She's a fine student as well."
Combat MOS's

Not a republican, but I assume that you also wanted a comment from a libertarian.

Government should only be involved in providing goods/services that cannot be efficiently provided by the private sector.

Example, if the private sector controlled the building and maintenance of roads, and all roads were toll roads, how many roads leading to the same place would spring up? Would we be a nation of nothing but competing roads? How can competition make roads better with a limited amount of space to compete?

Military is another government function that is difficult to place in the private sector. How would that work? Would we end up with a bunch of mercenary armies that end up fighting each other, rather than protecting us? Police and fire services would have similar problems without an absolute monopoly.

Courts. We have a mechanism for private judicial processes (arbitration). The problem comes in when the people cannot agree on an arbitrator panel. At some point, somebody has to make the final decision that is certain and undisputed. Courts will never be privatized for that very reason.

I can think of nothing else the private sector could not absolutely beat the fuck out of government in providing goods and services.

Well, healthcare isn't efficiently provided by the private sector. Many people end up with no healthcare, those who do get healthcare pay way over the odds for it. So....

Not a republican, but I assume that you also wanted a comment from a libertarian.

Government should only be involved in providing goods/services that cannot be efficiently provided by the private sector.

Example, if the private sector controlled the building and maintenance of roads, and all roads were toll roads, how many roads leading to the same place would spring up? Would we be a nation of nothing but competing roads? How can competition make roads better with a limited amount of space to compete?

Military is another government function that is difficult to place in the private sector. How would that work? Would we end up with a bunch of mercenary armies that end up fighting each other, rather than protecting us? Police and fire services would have similar problems without an absolute monopoly.

Courts. We have a mechanism for private judicial processes (arbitration). The problem comes in when the people cannot agree on an arbitrator panel. At some point, somebody has to make the final decision that is certain and undisputed. Courts will never be privatized for that very reason.

I can think of nothing else the private sector could not absolutely beat the fuck out of government in providing goods and services.

Well, healthcare isn't efficiently provided by the private sector. Many people end up with no healthcare, those who do get healthcare pay way over the odds for it. So....
The government has assisted in making HC unaffordable and complicated. They also do not want to fix it. The money is too good.

The government has assisted in making HC unaffordable and complicated. They also do not want to fix it. The money is too good.

Possibly. The problems in the US are far and wide, problem one the way people elect their representatives, because they then go off and don't represent, probably because there are only two parties.

Oh really? So it's dems profiting off healthcare and not corporations?

Well, you like to troll the Bernie supporters. I get it. Too bad you aren't even close to generalizing them. The average Bernie supporter makes 40K a year and has a degree in higher education. Compare that to the average Trump supporter who never makes it to college.

And with that condescending message will bring more blue-collar whites to the Republican party.

I can't pinpoint exactly when, but for some reason, Democrats now feel the winning strategy is to insult anybody that doesn't think like them.

I really want you to think this through. Think about every example of government service in this country and give me an answer on which ones should be privatized.

"Sorry ma'am, we can't put out your fire because you can't give me the $500 fee my boss demands. I'm going to see if your neighbor will pay their fee so we can at least save their house before this blaze gets out of control."

"Sorry, fine couple, I can't do any forensic work on this crime scene that left your son dead unless you can pay the $1000 fee of Basic Investigation. If you give me $1500, we'll upgrade you to the Deluxe Package of actually arresting the prime suspect seen leaving the scene of the crime."

2) How about our roads? You know, ANY roads funded by revenue that people can drive on?

"Sorry, Sir, I can't let you leave Cincinnati without you forking over the toll of $200 that would allow you to leave and then return to your beloved city."

3) Oh and how about our water supply? No need for pesky environmental regulations in that case!

"Sir, our competition has dumped toxic waste in the Arkansas river that is in the center of our jurisdiction. What do we do?"

"Take them to court! We'll sue their asses off even if it takes months for us to get the damages to clean out the waste! Until then, we'll sell the citizens our Extra Clean bottled water."

4) Oooo here's another! Privatizing ALL schools without ANY pesky government red tape!

"Sorry, Ma'am, we can't let your straight-A son graduate his senior year because you're short on your premium this week. Oh and by the way, your 9th grade daughter can no longer show up to school until you pay. It's a shame. She's a fine student as well."

For one I think the Post Office should be privatized. I'm sure anybody can do a better job delivering mail than the Post Office. If these clowns knew they could be fired for not doing their job, they just may do their job more accurately.

I think we should eliminate all bureaucracies since bureaucracies are one of the biggest threats to our liberty. There is also no need for the taxpayers to be supporting PBS and NPR. If their broadcasts are worth viewing or listening to, they can get their support from the private market like everybody else.

But back to your question..........our founders figured out what our government should be providing for it's citizens, and they listed those things in the US Constitution. Outside of what is listed, government (at least on the federal level) should not be involved with any other provision to the public.

Wherever lobbyists tell them to.

But not the vagina. They want reach way up there and take control.

Wrong.

Oh really? So it's dems profiting off healthcare and not corporations?
Both. Rs too.

All that is juvenile understanding of what privatization is. Doesn't mean it isn't OVERSEEN by the govt. You know -- they always do such an excellent of oversight -- Right? :uhoh3:

Any service that competes with established private sector services is subject to "privatization" of some sort. Since you BARELY have an understanding of how things work -- I'm not gonna work too hard on this. But ask yourself who you want to inspect elevators. A lifer civil servant who you can't fire or reprimand or sue --- or a private firm that faces absolute disaster if they screw up..

It takes YEARS for the Fed govt to even STUDY a pollution problem. MORE years to litigate it. There's a less URGENCY to them. Because they DO NOT HAVE CUSTOMERS or a corporate reputation to protect.

And your silly ass flippant answers ignore the fact that Water companies can't make up THEIR RULES like the Flint Water Dept did. With the HELP of the EPA to circumvent problems. A PRIVATE company would be STUCK with the LITERAL interpretations of the EXISTING standards and OVER-SEEN by the govt contractor.

We should have a true free market in many things:

Health care would be so much more efficient and better quality if we had a true free market. Walgreens and CVS would expand their Minute Clinics. Now I do think there should be government help if you have to get a million dollar treatment or other extreme circumstances.

Roads we could privatize highways and have government just work on local roads it would free up money.

I say privatize schools for sure. If we did churches and businesses would put up better schools. I am sure that Walmart would start a dirt cheap good schools and churches have been educating people for centuries.

All that is juvenile understanding of what privatization is. Doesn't mean it isn't OVERSEEN by the govt. You know -- they always do such an excellent of oversight -- Right? :uhoh3:

Any service that competes with established private sector services is subject to "privatization" of some sort. Since you BARELY have an understanding of how things work -- I'm not gonna work too hard on this. But ask yourself who you want to inspect elevators. A lifer civil servant who you can't fire or reprimand or sue --- or a private firm that faces absolute disaster if they screw up..

It takes YEARS for the Fed govt to even STUDY a pollution problem. MORE years to litigate it. There's a less URGENCY to them. Because they DO NOT HAVE CUSTOMERS or a corporate reputation to protect.

And your silly ass flippant answers ignore the fact that Water companies can't make up THEIR RULES like the Flint Water Dept did. With the HELP of the EPA to circumvent problems. A PRIVATE company would be STUCK with the LITERAL interpretations of the EXISTING standards and OVER-SEEN by the govt contractor.
lol your logic is so dumb. If you're willing to let the government strictly regulate these hypothetical private services, then why even bother privatizing them in the first place? Moreover, you can't claim government oversight is useless while also conceding the oversight is still needed.

Also, if you're so concerned about pollution, what makes you think we can just blindly trust a corporation to not fuck up and pollute the water they control? What's to stop them from covering it up until it becomes a massive problem? What's to stop their lobbyists from eroding any government regulations for the sake of profit?

For one I think the Post Office should be privatized. I'm sure anybody can do a better job delivering mail than the Post Office. If these clowns knew they could be fired for not doing their job, they just may do their job more accurately.

I think we should eliminate all bureaucracies since bureaucracies are one of the biggest threats to our liberty. There is also no need for the taxpayers to be supporting PBS and NPR. If their broadcasts are worth viewing or listening to, they can get their support from the private market like everybody else.

But back to your question..........our founders figured out what our government should be providing for it's citizens, and they listed those things in the US Constitution. Outside of what is listed, government (at least on the federal level) should not be involved with any other provision to the public.
Where do you stand on the examples I gave?

Wrong.

I must be right if you can only write one word in reply.

Where do you stand on the examples I gave?

Besides what I posted about the federal government being limited to providing what's in the Constitution, the rest are local issues and it's up to locals to decide on them.

There is no law that states you have to have a police force. Some smaller towns do not. Same with fire protection. In fact with some villages that have an all volunteer fire department, they will not help you put out a fire at your home if you did not contribute to their insurance policy. Schools? Unless your school surrendered to the feds because of not enough funding, it's totally locally run.

Local governments are much easier controlled by the citizens due to size. Federal government is not. State is right behind them.

So the real question is what kind of government are you talking about here? Federal, state or local? They are not all one of the same.

We should have a true free market in many things:

Health care would be so much more efficient and better quality if we had a true free market. Walgreens and CVS would expand their Minute Clinics. Now I do think there should be government help if you have to get a million dollar treatment or other extreme circumstances.

Roads we could privatize highways and have government just work on local roads it would free up money.

I say privatize schools for sure. If we did churches and businesses would put up better schools. I am sure that Walmart would start a dirt cheap good schools and churches have been educating people for centuries.

No, I disagree about healthcare.

The free market in the US has shown that prices get to high, because healthcare is ESSENTIAL, and healthcare providers will group together to push prices up.

The US govt spends MORE per capita on healthcare than the UK govt does. They operate within a country which also has a relatively free market, and the govt ends up spending a fortune because they healthcare provides pump up the prices.

Privatizing schools would just take you back to the industrial revolution or something. A country needs to compete in the world, and to compete needs to make the most of the talent.

A countries GDP will be based on how the country does economically, and if you have the talent not getting educated because they can't afford it, then you'll soon be looking at second world status.

Marriage should be privatized. If the American people had not demanded government get all up in their marriages, same sex marriages wouldn't even be an issue.

Health care should be privatized. The more government has interfered in our health care, the more the cost of health care has risen, faster than GDP and inflation. It boggles the shit out of me that the liberal solution to this is to demand even MORE government takeover of healthcare!

Home buying should be privatized. The government should end the mortgage interest deduction which is a massive wealth transfer scheme up the food chain, at the expense of raising tax rates on every taxpayer and raising the price of homes.

Every service that is not a Constitutionally authorized service should be privatized.

I'm not a Republican, but that is where I draw the line. If it isn't explicitly in the Constitution, then it should be privatized.

Forum List

Back