Where are the boundries ?

rtwngAvngr said:
When christians get up in arms they boycott disney. When muslims get up in arms, people die. And is it legitimate to riot over cartoons. I understand that in their religion it's wrong to have images of mohammed, but europe is not an islamic theocracy. Or is it? Why do libs say "oh that's offensive to their religion" as if it should be an acceptable reason to turn to violence. Libs expect us christians to call shit on christ art, for god's sake.

When is it acceptable to resort to violence? If not over a religious persons belief in their god, savior or core of their being?

There are many examples throughout history of ALL religions resorting to violence over something that has offended them....in modern history look at the nut jobs that execute doctors for thier religious beliefs....(not to mention the fact that the doctors are performing a LEGAL procedure that is the law of the land....)

Any form of violence in the name of religion is wrong.....and to think that one religions importance is greater than another's is also worng, in my opinion.

Who are these libs you have such vitriol for?

Fmr jarhead said:
When is it acceptable to resort to violence? If not over a religious persons belief in their god, savior or core of their being?

Well if you are a Christian, then you probably have to logically assume that Christ gave you an example when he told Peter to put away the sword at the Garden on the night he was arrested. I have no doubt that Peter believed strongly in his god. I guess you already know that many Jews at that time expected the Messiah to defeat the Romans militarily and Jesus was a big disappointment to them.

Mr. P said:
Not until you were ignored in the other thread.
You would have been pleased to fight in there...We all know it. :funnyface

Ignored? Try again--

gop_jeff

MOD HAT ON

This thread is about mom4's concerns for her neice, not about whose well-wishes, prayers, cool points, etc. are more important. Do mom4 the common courtesy of taking that discussion elsewhere.

MOD HAT OFF

mom4, I hope they can treat Tori, and certainly hope that she won't have to go through any type of transplant. What a hard thing for your sister to go through.

The ClayTaurus said:
Oh. The vagueness of the title and subject must be some clever trick then. Good job, you fooled me!

No trick---just an attempt to make the thread distinctively different than the other as requested.

CSM said:
Well if you are a Christian, then you probably have to logically assume that Christ gave you an example when he told Peter to put away the sword at the Garden on the night he was arrested. I have no doubt that Peter believed strongly in his god. I guess you already know that many Jews at that time expected the Messiah to defeat the Romans militarily and Jesus was a big disappointment to them.

I am agnostic, and I am not familiar with the story.....sounds interesting, much like the way Ghandi stood fast in the face of violence and actually shut down the British empire's expansion in India (not so much a religious accomplishment as much as a social accomplishment, in my opinion)

Violence is often rooted in religious beliefs (look at the crusades....Christians desecrating Muslim holy sites.....much like the Taliban blowing up the Buddhas of Bamiyan...yeah, history is full of examples of why religion can be looked upon as the root of the evil that man does to man)

Fmr jarhead said:
I am agnostic, and I am not familiar with the story.....sounds interesting, much like the way Ghandi stood fast in the face of violence and actually shut down the British empire's expansion in India (not so much a religious accomplishment as much as a social accomplishment, in my opinion)

Violence is often rooted in religious beliefs (look at the crusades....Christians desecrating Muslim holy sites.....much like the Taliban blowing up the Buddhas of Bamiyan...yeah, history is full of examples of why religion can be looked upon as the root of the evil that man does to man)
And it can be looked upon as the root of goodwill that man does to man. All depends on your lens.

The ClayTaurus said:
And it can be looked upon as the root of goodwill that man does to man. All depends on your lens.

Good point--I think it is possible to look at wars in a way that does not always focus on religion as the instigator. Historically, religions all had thier centers of population and just because a culture attacked another is not definate proof that the war was not about something as simple as greed or hate.

dilloduck said:
Good point--I think it is possible to look at wars in a way that does not always focus on religion as the instigator. Historically, religions all had thier centers of population and just because a culture attacked another is not definate proof that the war was not about something as simple as greed or hate.
Basically. Religion is something that you can over-simplify to justify whatever you want. As a result, religion is credited for many things it had little or no control over. Wrong place, wrong time. It's just something that easily riles everyone up. The great uniting divider.

Fmr jarhead said:
So desecrating one's religious beliefs or symbols is defensible?

IMHO it's not but it goes back to my original post. Religion is certainly a personal issue that can be borderline confrontational/disrespectful. I assume because it's so important or is it because it gets to personal and people wish to avoid it at a certain point.

The ClayTaurus said:
Disrespect, like beauty and vulgarity, is in the eye of the beholder.

I generally agree with this, Clay. People tend to take offense at those things which they personally hold dear, and may not care about the rest, regardless of how rude or cutting a remark may be.

dilloduck said:
IMHO it's not but it goes back to my original post. Religion is certainly a personal issue that can be borderline confrontational/disrespectful. I assume because it's so important or is it because it gets to personal and people wish to avoid it at a certain point.

The first person who befriended me when I lived in Italy told me that there are three things never to discuss with someone because it always ended in an argument.

1. Religion
2. Politics
3. Sports

When someone feels passion about something - it doesn't matter what it is - they are going to be ultra sensitive to that subject. Right, wrong, indifferent.

It doesn't matter. What one person is sensitive about, another might not be.

I think it comes down to respect. Respecting other's thoughts, beliefs, opinions. and feelings.

manu1959 said:
a child is dying....i agree that should be treated with a bit of respect

So far just ill but still deserving of respect. This is a difficult forum to understand all the subtleties (sp). I guess I was just trying to take a plunge into how this board decides on what's fair game and what's a sacred cow.

Forum List

Back