Where are the boundries ?

GotZoom said:
The first person who befriended me when I lived in Italy told me that there are three things never to discuss with someone because it always ended in an argument.

1. Religion
2. Politics
3. Sports

When someone feels passion about something - it doesn't matter what it is - they are going to be ultra sensitive to that subject. Right, wrong, indifferent.

It doesn't matter. What one person is sensitive about, another might not be.

I think it comes down to respect. Respecting other's thoughts, beliefs, opinions. and feelings.

Thanks---we're getting closer !!! There's a mighty fine line here. Sorry for indulging my curiosity on the subject but I'm that kinda guy sometimes.

Abbey Normal said:
I generally agree with this, Clay. People tend to take offense at those things which they personally hold dear, and may not care about the rest, regardless of how rude or cutting a remark may be.
Even beyond that, I think some people could care less what you say about even things they care about. Talk is cheap, and most of it is designed just to flare you up anyways. Why give them the pleasure?

The ClayTaurus said:
Even beyond that, I think some people could care less what you say about even things they care about. Talk is cheap, and most of it is designed just to flare you up anyways. Why give them the pleasure?

You really think so?

The ClayTaurus said:

i agree

Abbey Normal said:
I have the same question. Do most people on here just appear ticked to get a rise out of people, or are they really ticked? :dunno:

Maybe it's poll-worthy, if people tell the truth.

I was sort of assuming people were just blurting out what they thought and if someone wanted to take issue with it they did. ( with a few notable exceptions) :D

Abbey Normal said:
I have the same question. Do most people on here just appear ticked to get a rise out of people, or are they really ticked? :dunno:

Maybe it's poll-worthy, if people tell the truth.

I didn't mean people get uspet to get a rise out of people, I mean most people are confrontational only with those who they want to piss off.

I have no idea if some people actually get ticked on here or not, but I have seen threats of physical violence from some of the more hot-headed members on here. Whether it's all just for show, who knows.

The point is, if someone, especially on a message board, is being disrepectful to you, they're doing it just to make you mad. You're not going to convince a gay person to stop being gay by calling him a filthy faggot over and over, and you're not going to get any conservatives to listen to you if you keep calling them Nazi's. People talk shit to piss others off. It's easier to expose weakness when people lose control of their temper.

The ClayTaurus said:

But Clay, on a message board, all we have is talk. It's not like we can observe someone's actions to better evaluate them. If you are saying that it is all just BS, I guess I wouldn't see the point in being here. I'm not saying you are wrong; I'm just tossing some thoughts out here.

dilloduck said:
I was sort of assuming people were just blurting out what they thought and if someone wanted to take issue with it they did. ( with a few notable exceptions) :D
There's a difference between expressing an opinion, and using it to mask disrespect.

Probably a combination of both. Some people can't "argue" with people in their every day life. Either their job, spouse, intelligence of friends (or lack of), etc...won't allow it. Or they simply don't have the opportunity.

So they come here..to talk passionately about something they believe in - and sometimes it turns into a bit of a battle.

Then there are those...and we know who they are....who just want to argue. Say things that no one could ever imagine as being true thoughts and opinions.

I bet that there are even people who join boards just to post controversial things so they can get a "rise" out of people.

And in reality, they agree with what everyone is saying.

But what fun is that?

Abbey Normal said:
But Clay, on a message board, all we have is talk. It's not like we can observe someone's actions to better evaluate them. If you are saying that it is all just BS, I guess I wouldn't see the point in being here. I'm not saying you are wrong; I'm just tossing some thoughts out here.
I think a lot of people gravitate here because they can hash out what they can't in real life, either due to a lack of interest in those around them, or because it would make them or others feel uncomfortable. I also think it helps people figure out exactly where they stand on an issue, as it's often easier to find your way in a group then in solitary.

That said, I think if people were really honest with themselves, much of what is said that can be considered disrespectful actually has some intent of such in it. I don't know how to make that make much more sense, I realize it's unclear...

GotZoom said:
Probably a combination of both. Some people can't "argue" with people in their every day life. Either their job, spouse, intelligence of friends (or lack of), etc...won't allow it. Or they simply don't have the opportunity.

So they come here..to talk passionately about something they believe in - and sometimes it turns into a bit of a battle.

Then there are those...and we know who they are....who just want to argue. Say things that no one could ever imagine as being true thoughts and opinions.

I bet that there are even people who join boards just to post controversial things so they can get a "rise" out of people.

And in reality, they agree with what everyone is saying.

But what fun is that?

Spoken like a very wise prankster !! :laugh:

GotZoom said:
Lol...definitely not what I am doing here.

I still think our old friend Gabby was doing that though.

I can assure you that----she told me as much. I miss her sometimes--she provided us with a lot of interesting views on how we all handle adversity.
Other times--100% pure wacko

manu1959 said:
So making fun of 72 virgins for killing infidels isn't allowable, in the name of ''respecting their beliefs?" They have no problems using others, especially the Hebrew religion, with 'jokes', lies, and innuendos, in particular using the ultimate disrespect, murder.

The cartoons may not have been 'uplifting', but me thinks the world Islamics are using them for their own agenda, or why did it take so many months, for this sudden heating? Iran/Hamas anyone?

Kathianne said:
So making fun of 72 virgins for killing infidels isn't allowable, in the name of ''respecting their beliefs?" They have no problems using others, especially the Hebrew religion, with 'jokes', lies, and innuendos, in particular using the ultimate disrespect, murder.

The cartoons may not have been 'uplifting', but me thinks the world Islamics are using them for their own agenda, or why did it take so many months, for this sudden heating? Iran/Hamas anyone?

Ultimately "allowable" is defined by JimNYC I guess but are you suggesting that it's acceptable to attack after you feel that you have been attacked first?

dilloduck said:
Can't we go somewhere the sun appears ??

Okay. Seattle. In August.

:D

Temps in the mid-high 70s. Humidity down low. No prettier-place on the planet, IF You can stomach all the Libs running around. :)

Forum List

Back