Where are the boundries ?

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Is there something about straight, honest and open expression of thoughts feelings and opinions that bothers people here? I see religion beliefs attacked constantly here and enjoy the open discussion of personal issues. Where are the boundries between acceptable confrontation and "disrespect" ?

dilloduck said:
Is there something about straight, honest and open expression of thoughts feelings and opinions that bothers people here? I see religion beliefs attacked constantly here and enjoy the open discussion of personal issues. Where are the boundries between acceptable confrontation and "disrespect" ?

the line seems to be different for everyone....some people wind up easier than others....

manu1959 said:
the line seems to be different for everyone....some people wind up easier than others....

Ya---I thought I detected a certain bias too---I continue to try to get it somewhat defined but hey---I know how to float along. :dance:

dilloduck said:
Ya---I thought I detected a certain bias too---I continue to try to get it somewhat defined but hey---I know how to float along. :dance:

there are easy touches on both sides of each issue.....the evolution crew that has blown in, seems particular thin skinned

manu1959 said:
there are easy touches on both sides of each issue.....the evolution crew that has blown in, seems particular thin skinned

Indeed---I was just more interested decisions made to cease and desist the exchanging of ideas. No biggie--it's a judgement call. :huh:

dilloduck said:
Indeed---I was just more interested decisions made to cease and desist the exchanging of ideas. No biggie--it's a judgement call. :huh:
What are you referring to? Link?

It doesn't just pop into your head randomly, there's obviously a thread that spurred this line of thought, so, what and where is it?

dilloduck said:
Ya-it was suggested that that thread be treated with dignity.
I think the appropriate choice would have been to create a new thread to go through such discussions, instead of hashing it out in a thread that was supposed to be about something entirely non-confrontational.

The ClayTaurus said:
I think the appropriate choice would have been to create a new thread to go through such discussions, instead of hashing it out in a thread that was supposed to be about something entirely non-confrontational.

Which is exactly why I started new thread. :cuckoo:

The ClayTaurus said:
So that's what dillo did! A man of action! ;)

In light of all the discussion (which is a great thing), I have a simple excercise with regard to the "line," as so many have seen it drawn with regard to the other thread (where I expressed my well wishes, as well as impart my opinion...which was not really necessary)

Muslims around the world are up in arms about the caricatures drawn of their prophet Mohammed (which is forbidden in their holy tome).

Christians are up in arms about an upcoming Will and Grace episode that will star Britney Spears hosting a cooking segment called "Cruci-fixins" that will air on Good Friday.

Personally I think both instances are irreverant (and mildly humurous), and the expense of fervent believers of differing religions.

Is there a difference between the pain that offended people experience through either of these actions?

dilloduck said:

BTW....it is spelled "BOUNDARIES"

Fmr jarhead said:
Muslims around the world are up in arms about the caricatures drawn of their prophet Mohammed (which is forbidden in their holy tome).

Christians are up in arms about an upcoming Will and Grace episode that will star Britney Spears hosting a cooking segment called "Cruci-fixins" that will air on Good Friday.

Personally I think both instances are irreverant (and mildly humurous), and the expense of fervent believers of differing religions.

Is there a difference between the pain that offended people experience through either of these actions?
I think they are the same as far as this question goes. Both address deeply-held beliefs. Some jokes are not funny. And some subjects are not meant to be the foundations for jokes.

Disagreeing is not the same thing as DISPARAGING. You can disagree without intending to offend. My POV: I just try to assume that people are not INTENDING to be offensive, unless it's just blatant.

Fmr jarhead said:
In light of all the discussion (which is a great thing), I have a simple excercise with regard to the "line," as so many have seen it drawn with regard to the other thread (where I expressed my well wishes, as well as impart my opinion...which was not really necessary)

When christians get up in arms they boycott disney. When muslims get up in arms, people die. And is it legitimate to riot over cartoons. I understand that in their religion it's wrong to have images of mohammed, but europe is not an islamic theocracy. Or is it? Why do libs say "oh that's offensive to their religion" as if it should be an acceptable reason to turn to violence. Libs expect us christians to call shit on christ art, for god's sake.

Forum List

Back