Where are all the "faith" healers

Once the crisis is past...

... there wil be all kinds of `em...

... crawlin' out of the woodwork...

... claiming they helped stem the epidemic...

... by curing people with a 'hands on ministry'...

... just you wait & see.

Why aren't the visiting the hospitals that are treating people with Ebola?

Why aren't the going to Africa to have mass cures?

Isn't this their big chance to show they aren't con artists that prey (pray) on the gullible and weak minded?

I have been asking this question for 32 years. I work in the medical profession and see dozens if gravely Ill patients every day. Never seen a healer come by to even try to cure any of them.

good question. One poster here was going around saying her sky pixie could set things right. Well? Whats he doin :dunno: Nappin' on the job no doubt.
\\
bennyhinn.jpg

Benny Hinn is the worst.

I wonder if these mission workers are actually making things worse.

Depends on the missionaries. Many are providing comfort to the dying. That can only be a good thing.

I knew someone in a hospice who sent a preacher " that everybody loved" to comfort this patient because he said he believed in God and when the preacher left they asked him how it went and he said, " I never want to see that asshole again ".

Ever heard of Samaritin's Purse or SIM? They've been fighting on the frontlines for quite awhile,now.
Ebola crisis provides glimpse into Samaritan s Purse SIM - The Washington Post

Sad you are so bitter. I will keep you in my prayers you may find peace in your life.

First of all, consider this: “What profit a man to gain the whole world yet lose his very soul?” (Mark 14)

Now maybe you will have a better idea why God chooses to heal some physically and so many more not. Those healed with prayer or without explanation are a manifestation to the hopeful and the faithful of God’s real presence. That is the real objective, heaven, not healing. The miraculous bolsters the faith.

I strongly believe healings through prayer have occurred in private places millions of times throughout history, but the media or the world is never notified, nor can it be easily proven either, of course. Although the shrine of Lourdes, France has the most documented and verified healings by an unaffiliated medical and science board that any other church or phenomena I am aware of? Only 67 healings ordained as divine (so to speak) by this board even though there have been many thousands at at that shrine since 1858.

My point is this. You can trot out your favorite money seeking faith healers on TV and make a very strong case for yourself. No doubt, many of them are frauds or appear so dubious you don’t want to go near that. (imo) But for you or any other to go further and suggest God is inert, prayer has no power or effect on the mind or the body, etc., well, you are on shaky ground.

Ever heard of Samaritin's Purse or SIM? They've been fighting on the frontlines for quite awhile,now.

Sad you are so bitter. I will keep you in my prayers you may find peace in your life.

First of all, consider this: “What profit a man to gain the whole world yet lose his very soul?” (Mark 14)

Now maybe you will have a better idea why God chooses to heal some physically and so many more not. Those healed with prayer or without explanation are a manifestation to the hopeful and the faithful of God’s real presence. That is the real objective, heaven, not healing. The miraculous bolsters the faith.

I strongly believe healings through prayer have occurred in private places millions of times throughout history, but the media or the world is never notified, nor can it be easily proven either, of course. Although the shrine of Lourdes, France has the most documented and verified healings by an unaffiliated medical and science board that any other church or phenomena I am aware of? Only 67 healings ordained as divine (so to speak) by this board even though there have been many thousands at at that shrine since 1858.

My point is this. You can trot out your favorite money seeking faith healers on TV and make a very strong case for yourself. No doubt, many of them are frauds or appear so dubious you don’t want to go near that. (imo) But for you or any other to go further and suggest God is inert, prayer has no power or effect on the mind or the body, etc., well, you are on shaky ground.

I wonder if these mission workers are actually making this worse.
They are over there serving the frontlines. Dr. Kent Brantly, that has donated his blood? He is with Samaritin's Purse. Hecwas working at ELWA hospital in Liberia, where he contracted the disease. Before these organizations started helping out there, the death rate from the zaire strain was at approximately 90%. Today it is just below 70%.

After reading the Bible, many people are mystified as to why grown, otherwise intelligent adults would believe that it is the direct communication or the "inspired Word" of an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good being. To many people, it seems absolutely incredible that any reasonable person could maintain this belief in the face of our current scientific knowledge and the contemporary understanding of history, religion and mythology. To outsiders, the phenomenon of Christian belief is a puzzlement.

However, after a bit of research and reflection, the mystery is resolved. It soon becomes apparent that the whole bizarre Christian belief system is predicated, to a large degree, on two compelling ideas. The first idea is that maintaining faith in Bible claims is the most morally virtuous act one can perform and will be rewarded with an eternal life of bliss. The second belief is that doubting biblical claims represents the greatest evil imaginable and will be punished with an eternity of torture. These linchpin beliefs make it possible for Christians to accept thoroughly ridiculous biblical assertions not merely in the absence of evidence, but against the evidence-against reason.

The sanctification of "faith" and demonization of doubt short-circuits the thinking process. Since it is continually drilled into Christians' brains that faith must be maintained at all costs, anything which contradicts a Bible claim is automatically rationalized away as the arrogance of the "wise," as a ploy of Satan, or as a test of faith from God himself. So when it is explained and demonstrated to a Christian that the Bible is simply a collection of ancient writings masquerading as the "Word of God," this is dismissed as the delusion of unbelievers blinded by their sin. (Seethe wisdom of the world) When scientific discoveries are shown to clearly, directly and unambiguously contradict biblical pronouncements, these scientific discoveries are interpreted by the Christian as satanic trickery. If it is patiently and painstakingly evinced to the Christian that the Bible is filled from one end to the other with obscene cruelty and violence, pagan mythology and superstition, blatant contradictions, ludicrous claims and outrageous, blithering idiocy, the Christian smiles in the face of this, confident that his faith is being tested by God and that he will be rewarded accordingly in the Age To Come.

It must be understood that in the Alice-in-Wonderland Christian world view, the more difficult it is to believe in a biblical claim, the more one is glorified for believing it. Faith, believing no matter what the facts say, is the highest manifestation of moral righteousness. Developing and maintaining one's faith in the preposterous and the incomprehensible becomes the ultimate purpose of life. Tertullian's declaration, "I believe because it is impossible," is the boast of a man who celebrates his irrationality. While liberal Christians today may pay lip service to the notion of a reasonable faith, the sentiment of Tertullin's inane "I believe because it is impossible" is alive and well and continues to be spouted from church pulpits on Sunday mornings: "Brethren, did not Paul say that God will make foolish the wisdom of the world, and choose that which is foolish to shame the wise of the world? Brothers and Sisters, did not JEEEZ-ZUSS tell us that unless we become as little children we will never enter the kingdom of heaven, that God has chosen to hide his light from the eyes of the wise and reveal himself to babes?" Reason and knowledge are ridiculed while biblical absurdities are held aloft as bless-ed revelation. This is how Christianity sustains itself. It is the only way that it can.

Thus the Christian faith's invisible attributes are now clearly to be seen. Behind all the sacraments and the rituals, the organ music and the angelic choirs, the praying lips and the arms thrust heavenward, behind all this, propping it all up, is the monstrous doctrine that gullibility and ignorance are divine.

Please don't try to explain this to a Christian though, for it has been most assuredly foretold that he would be mocked and persecuted for Jesus' sake by the "wise" of a fallen, perishing world. Yea, lo, verily, for it has been written...
:rolleyes-41:

After reading the Bible, many people are mystified as to why grown, otherwise intelligent adults would believe that it is the direct communication or the "inspired Word" of an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good being. To many people, it seems absolutely incredible that any reasonable person could maintain this belief in the face of our current scientific knowledge and the contemporary understanding of history, religion and mythology. To outsiders, the phenomenon of Christian belief is a puzzlement.

However, after a bit of research and reflection, the mystery is resolved. It soon becomes apparent that the whole bizarre Christian belief system is predicated, to a large degree, on two compelling ideas. The first idea is that maintaining faith in Bible claims is the most morally virtuous act one can perform and will be rewarded with an eternal life of bliss. The second belief is that doubting biblical claims represents the greatest evil imaginable and will be punished with an eternity of torture. These linchpin beliefs make it possible for Christians to accept thoroughly ridiculous biblical assertions not merely in the absence of evidence, but against the evidence-against reason.

The sanctification of "faith" and demonization of doubt short-circuits the thinking process. Since it is continually drilled into Christians' brains that faith must be maintained at all costs, anything which contradicts a Bible claim is automatically rationalized away as the arrogance of the "wise," as a ploy of Satan, or as a test of faith from God himself. So when it is explained and demonstrated to a Christian that the Bible is simply a collection of ancient writings masquerading as the "Word of God," this is dismissed as the delusion of unbelievers blinded by their sin. (Seethe wisdom of the world) When scientific discoveries are shown to clearly, directly and unambiguously contradict biblical pronouncements, these scientific discoveries are interpreted by the Christian as satanic trickery. If it is patiently and painstakingly evinced to the Christian that the Bible is filled from one end to the other with obscene cruelty and violence, pagan mythology and superstition, blatant contradictions, ludicrous claims and outrageous, blithering idiocy, the Christian smiles in the face of this, confident that his faith is being tested by God and that he will be rewarded accordingly in the Age To Come.

It must be understood that in the Alice-in-Wonderland Christian world view, the more difficult it is to believe in a biblical claim, the more one is glorified for believing it. Faith, believing no matter what the facts say, is the highest manifestation of moral righteousness. Developing and maintaining one's faith in the preposterous and the incomprehensible becomes the ultimate purpose of life. Tertullian's declaration, "I believe because it is impossible," is the boast of a man who celebrates his irrationality. While liberal Christians today may pay lip service to the notion of a reasonable faith, the sentiment of Tertullin's inane "I believe because it is impossible" is alive and well and continues to be spouted from church pulpits on Sunday mornings: "Brethren, did not Paul say that God will make foolish the wisdom of the world, and choose that which is foolish to shame the wise of the world? Brothers and Sisters, did not JEEEZ-ZUSS tell us that unless we become as little children we will never enter the kingdom of heaven, that God has chosen to hide his light from the eyes of the wise and reveal himself to babes?" Reason and knowledge are ridiculed while biblical absurdities are held aloft as bless-ed revelation. This is how Christianity sustains itself. It is the only way that it can.

Thus the Christian faith's invisible attributes are now clearly to be seen. Behind all the sacraments and the rituals, the organ music and the angelic choirs, the praying lips and the arms thrust heavenward, behind all this, propping it all up, is the monstrous doctrine that gullibility and ignorance are divine.

Please don't try to explain this to a Christian though, for it has been most assuredly foretold that he would be mocked and persecuted for Jesus' sake by the "wise" of a fallen, perishing world. Yea, lo, verily, for it has been written...
:rolleyes-41:

"However, after a bit of research and reflection, the mystery is resolved. It soon becomes apparent that the whole bizarre Christian belief system is predicated, to a large degree, on two compelling ideas. The first idea is that maintaining faith in Bible claims is the most morally virtuous act one can perform and will be rewarded with an eternal life of bliss. The second belief is that doubting biblical claims represents the greatest evil imaginable and will be punished with an eternity of torture. These linchpin beliefs make it possible for Christians to accept thoroughly ridiculous biblical assertions not merely in the absence of evidence, but against the evidence-against reason."

I do not have time to read or comment on your whole narrative, but this premise of your whole post above is your problem. It’s bogus. But I don’t have the time. Suffice it to say for now, the Catholic Church is the authority Jesus established on earth to rule, decide, interpret Scripture, and evangelize the world. Not the Bible. Jesus said to Peter in speaking of His Church, “whatsoever you hold bound on earth, shall be held bound in heaven.” You follow? And the Catholic Church does not speak or teach the way you are trying to tell us what our “linchpins” are. You have no idea.

I wonder if these mission workers are actually making things worse.

Depends on the missionaries. Many are providing comfort to the dying. That can only be a good thing.
If that's what they are only providing. For example samaratin's purse has reportedly given aid if those in need sit through prayer meetings. While spreading Jesus they are also spreading germs. Ebola was pretty much a local problem before they and other do gooders got involved.

They are over there serving the frontlines. Dr. Kent Brantly, that has donated his blood? He is with Samaritin's Purse. Hecwas working at ELWA hospital in Liberia, where he contracted the disease. Before these organizations started helping out there, the death rate from the zaire strain was at approximately 90%. Today it is just below 70%.
And spreading where it hasn't spread before....

Why aren't the visiting the hospitals that are treating people with Ebola?

Why aren't the going to Africa to have mass cures?

Isn't this their big chance to show they aren't con artists that prey (pray) on the gullible and weak minded?
Why? for a piece of shit like you to mock them? Cast not your pearls before a swine.

They didn't bring it back here. Surely you see the humanitarian value here? Would you say the same of unicef and Doctors Without Borders that are there?
And spreading where it hasn't spread before....

Forum List

Back