When your only other campaign strategy option is "I haven't been indicted yet"

jasendorf

May 31, 2006
Ohio
Seems Bob Ney is getting pretty desperate here in Ohio. While the MSM is ignoring the story because it doesn't fit into their corporate agenda, Columbus' The Other Paper is addressing his latest campaign tactic in an editorial:

http://www.theotherpaper.com/substory1.html

Sometimes bad things happen to good people. Sometimes decent, well-meaning folks get mixed up with the wrong crowd and their reputations are unjustly tarnished as a result.

You'll be pleased to know that this is not the case with Bob Ney.

Ney, a Republican congressman from neighboring Licking County, might never be convicted of breaking the law. But the despicable campaign strategy he has employed in hopes of clinging to his job leaves little doubt as to the kind of man he is.

Ney—along with Tom DeLay, Duke Cunningham and William Jefferson—has become a poster child for corruption in Congress.

Former lobbyists Jack Abramoff and Tony Rudy and former PR executive Michael Scanlon have all pleaded guilty to trying to bribe Ney. Ney's former chief of staff, Neil Volz, has corroborated their stories, telling prosecutors Ney received free junkets, sports tickets and meals in exchange for the congressman's support for Abramoff's business clients.

Though he's the subject of a criminal investigation, Ney has repeatedly said that he doesn't expect to be indicted. That isn't a great campaign theme but probably better than the alternative.

Ney has maintained he broke no laws and insisted he will stay in the race—which he intends to win with a heavy and unsubtle dose of gay-baiting.

Voters in Ney's 18th Congressional District recently received the following automated phone call:

"My name is Maureen, and I'm very concerned about what I've heard recently about congressional candidate Zack Space…. Just last week, Zack was on an ultra-liberal radio show in New York City hosted by a cross-dressing lesbian, and he told her that social values are no longer that important. Zack Space claims the 18th District wants a progressive leader. Well, we all know that 'progressive' is nothing more than a code word for higher taxes, more gun control, more abortions and more gay marriages."

There's no word on who Maureen is, but you're to assume she wears feminine clothes and likes boys.

Ney isn't the first politician from east Ohio to try to win an election by fueling voters' homophobia. Two years ago, Republican state Sen. Joy Padgett—who lives in Ney's district and is in fact mentioned as a potential replacement for Ney if he's indicted—ran what may have been the most anti-gay television campaign in Ohio history against her opponent, former hostage Terry Anderson.

But at least Padgett attacked Anderson on an issue—his opposition to a state law against civil unions and same-sex marriages.

Ney is attacking Space, his Democratic opponent, for talking to a gay person.

In a May 24 press release, the Ney campaign expounded on its attack against Space, accusing him of engaging in "San Francisco politics."

"Zack continued his outreach efforts to the national liberal and gay rights establishment by giving a lengthy radio interview on the liberal Air America network with one of the country's leading gay rights advocates, Rachel Maddow," the Ney campaign announced.

"Maddow, who lives in New York City with her 'partner,' questioned Space about a variety of issues popular with the national liberal establishment while acknowledging at one point that she uses a different name when dressed 'in drag.'"

Did you get that? She lives in New York City with her partner. God knows what they do over there.

Space, by the way, lives with his wife, a Tuscarawas County judge, and their two kids. While they might sound like a normal family, Ney would like you to judge Space on the company he keeps.

Which is interesting because Ney has kept some pretty colorful company himself.

The congressman was thick as thieves with the disgraced Abramoff—he of the sinister gaze, long overcoat and foreboding black fedora. The former lobbyist has testified he bestowed numerous freebies, including a swanky golf trip to Scotland, upon Ney and his staff in return for legislative assistance.

If Ney wore one of those little plaid kilts while patrolling the greens of St. Andrews, you can assume he did so in the most heterosexual of fashions.

Ney has repeatedly said Abramoff and the other lobbyists who have accused him of misdeeds are lying. He has been nicer about Volz, who he described as a good friend who crumbled under excessive pressure from investigators.

Who knows? Ney could be telling the truth. Maybe he's not a crook. Maybe he's just a rotten guy.

Do voters really make decisions on who to vote for on whether or not they talk with lesbians?

jasendorf said:
Seems Bob Ney is getting pretty desperate here in Ohio. While the MSM is ignoring the story because it doesn't fit into their corporate agenda, Columbus' The Other Paper is addressing his latest campaign tactic in an editorial:

Do voters really make decisions on who to vote for on whether or not they talk with lesbians?

Politics as usual.

jasendorf said:

But does he have $10K in his fridge?

GunnyL said:
But does he have $10K in his fridge?

So, bribes only exist in cash form?

Quite honestly, I'll wait for the jury to decide Ney's culpability in the Abramhoff scandal. I just want to know if this is what passes for a Republican campaign strategy these days.

jasendorf said:

Quite honestly, I'll wait for the jury to decide Ney's culpability in the Abramhoff scandal. I just want to know if this is what passes for a Republican campaign strategy these days.

Can't be any worse than "Vote for me and I'll get you a better handout."

jasendorf said:

Dude---all politicians try to sell themselves. You're crazy to try a "holier than thou" approach on this one.

dilloduck said:
Dude---all politicians try to sell themselves. You're crazy to try a "holier than thou" approach on this one.

Selling himself? Re-read the text of the phone call:

"My name is Maureen, and I'm very concerned about what I've heard recently about congressional candidate Zack Space…. Just last week, Zack was on an ultra-liberal radio show in New York City hosted by a cross-dressing lesbian, and he told her that social values are no longer that important. Zack Space claims the 18th District wants a progressive leader. Well, we all know that 'progressive' is nothing more than a code word for higher taxes, more gun control, more abortions and more gay marriages."

"Zack continued his outreach efforts to the national liberal and gay rights establishment by giving a lengthy radio interview on the liberal Air America network with one of the country's leading gay rights advocates, Rachel Maddow," the Ney campaign announced.

"Maddow, who lives in New York City with her 'partner,' questioned Space about a variety of issues popular with the national liberal establishment while acknowledging at one point that she uses a different name when dressed 'in drag.'"

Where, at any point, does Bob Ney try and "sell himself." Looks like nothing more than a gay-baiting attack on Ney's opponent to me.

jasendorf said:
Selling himself? Re-read the text of the phone call:

Where, at any point, does Bob Ney try and "sell himself." Looks like nothing more than a gay-baiting attack on Ney's opponent to me.

What will it take to convince you that politics is dirty business ??

dilloduck said:
What will it take to convince you that politics is dirty business ??

Answer my question first... where is Bob Ney "selling himself" in that phone message?

jasendorf said:
Answer my question first... where is Bob Ney "selling himself" in that phone message?

If his opponent loses votes it helps him. You not that dumb. You know negative campaigning works and is done by both of our so-called parties.

dilloduck said:
If his opponent loses votes it helps him. You not that dumb. You know negative campaigning works and is done by both of our so-called parties.

I never said negative campaigning doesn't work... after watching the Republicans successfully smear John McCain's, Max Cleland's and John Kerry's service records, not even I can deny that nothing is sacred to the far-right smearmachine.

That still doesn't mean that he's "selling himself." He's selling smear and slime. Wait... maybe you're right... maybe he IS selling himself!

jasendorf said:
I never said negative campaigning doesn't work... after watching the Republicans successfully smear John McCain's, Max Cleland's and John Kerry's service records, not even I can deny that nothing is sacred to the far-right smearmachine.

That still doesn't mean that he's "selling himself." He's selling smear and slime. Wait... maybe you're right... maybe he IS selling himself!

The Swifboat vets were telling the truth. McCain is a sell out. Cleland is a paperweight.

jasendorf said:

Don't be a dolt, Dorf. Negative campaigning is practiced by both parties. Your outrage over one party doing it is half the story. If you REALLY hate negative campaigning, tell the whole story instead of using it to smear your enemy. Half truths are lies too.

rtwngAvngr said:
The Swifboat vets were telling the truth. McCain is a sell out. Cleland is a paperweight.

The Swiftboat vets weren't even there.

McCain is your party's only hope.

Glad to know how you feel about veterans who lose limbs in defense of their country. I know that Republicans only care about veterans who'll toe their Party line, but do you have to be so blatent about it?

Forum List

Back