When you are a white waitress or waiter it's very important that when you

I tend to think people who smile too easily or broadly are up to no good.
The_Penguin_1960.png

I agree. :thup:

"Why"? Because if they're smiling when there's no apparent reason to do so -- it's fake.
You guys are very suspicious. Of course there is an apparent reason to do so. You are helping the person you smile at have a pleasant experience.

Any waitress/waiter should smile when serving people. I have to admit that if they dont smile and they are white the first thing that comes to mind is that they are a racist/bigot. Usually I can get them to smile and talk about themselves. If they never thaw out I assume they are racist.
Maybe the waitress just had a death in the family. Who gives a rat's patootie if the waitress doesn't come on shuckin' 'n jivin'?
Do you think smiling and being personable is shucking and jiving? No wonder you have failed at life.
Horseshit. Waitresses don't work at a foot killing job to win a damn popularity contest. I go to a restaurant to eat, not to count watermelon grins.

Any waitress/waiter should smile when serving people. I have to admit that if they dont smile and they are white the first thing that comes to mind is that they are a racist/bigot. Usually I can get them to smile and talk about themselves. If they never thaw out I assume they are racist.
Maybe the waitress just had a death in the family. Who gives a rat's patootie if the waitress doesn't come on shuckin' 'n jivin'?
Do you think smiling and being personable is shucking and jiving? No wonder you have failed at life.
Horseshit. Waitresses don't work at a foot killing job to win a damn popularity contest. I go to a restaurant to eat, not to count watermelon grins.
I didnt ask you what you went there for nor did I say waiters/waitresses were trying to win a popularity contest. Do you always have a hard time with reading comprehension?

I guess I was pretty much spot on. Here are the words of a waitress.

Keeping Your Smile: Working Through the Pain

"One of the hardest things I’ve ever had to deal with as a waitress was learning how to smile through anything and everything that happened in life. Personal problems were checked at the door as you entered the restaurant and especially never came out when dealing with customers. Sad eyes had to dabbed with a Kleenex, bags under the eyes from lack of sleep were covered with makeup, and a smile had to be permanently placed on those lips no matter how much you felt like just throwing in the towel."

The_Penguin_1960.png
Why?
People smile when they want something. Being courteous =/= a shit eating grin. Smiling like you've won the lotto when we don't even know each other = shifty motherfucker.
As far as servers are concerned: yes, no, please, thank you, accurate and prompt order taking and delivery = great tip. I don't need or want chit chat. Don't smile if you don't feel like it--I don't give a shit. Do I get what I ordered, exactly as I ordered, promptly? That's the ticket. People who make me call them back because shit's not right are the bane of my existence in a restaurant--and online ordering as well. It ruins the meal.
I'd rather have a server be a little on the curt side and get me what I want than have a very pleasant server bring me a messed up order.

I didnt ask you what you went there for nor did I say waiters/waitresses were trying to win a popularity contest. Do you always have a hard time with reading comprehension?
I have a hard time understanding what a racist troll OP this is. Just so much happy horseshit and you're egging it on. "Its, I say, It's a joke, son."

The_Penguin_1960.png
Why?
People smile when they want something. Being courteous =/= a shit eating grin. Smiling like you've won the lotto when we don't even know each other = shifty motherfucker.
As far as servers are concerned: yes, no, please, thank you, accurate and prompt order taking and delivery = great tip. I don't need or want chit chat. Don't smile if you don't feel like it--I don't give a shit. Do I get what I ordered, exactly as I ordered, promptly? That's the ticket. People who make me call them back because shit's not right are the bane of my existence in a restaurant--and online ordering as well. It ruins the meal.
I'd rather have a server be a little on the curt side and get me what I want than have a very pleasant server bring me a messed up order.
Of course you smile when you want something. I smile when I want people to feel at ease. That doesnt mean I am smiling so I can pick pocket you and steal your car. It seems like you expect the worst in humans that smile. Would that be a correct statement?

I have a hard time understanding what a racist troll OP this is. Just so much happy horseshit and you're egging it on. "Its, I say, It's a joke, son."
Whats racist about it? I know plenty of Black people that assume the same thing. I'm usually the one saying give them a chance before writing them off. Best case scenario is that they are unprofessional. Worst case scenario is that they are racist. Neither will get you a good tip. A smile in the beginning always destroys both of those assumptions unless its obviously fake.

Whats racist about it? I know plenty of Black people that assume the same thing. I'm usually the one saying give them a chance before writing them off. Best case scenario is that they are unprofessional. Worst case scenario is that they are racist. Neither will get you a good tip. A smile in the beginning always destroys both of those assumptions unless its obviously fake.
Most waiters and waitresses smile and greet patrons with some mild chit-chat. I have never given it any thought. Anyone who does generally has a chip on the shoulder and is looking for contention.

Most waiters and waitresses smile and greet patrons with some mild chit-chat. I have never given it any thought. Anyone who does generally has a chip on the shoulder and is looking for contention.
I wouldnt say most. However, you are probably white. Turn Black and come back after a year of dining out and give me your revised statement.

are serving a black table you show ALL YOUR TEETH. Because it can easily be interpreted as racism if you approach a table for the first time and don't have a smile on your face. That;s why I treated this white waitress like shit because first impression of her was "she doesn't like blacks". Now a black person who is waiting tables would have just been seen as RUDE but when you are dealing with different nationalities you can't approach a table with a sh*TTY demeanor because I will come right back at you nasty

Then my mom wanted to take up for the stupid bitch and said she maybe going through something at home. WHO THE FUCK CARES????????? Now she may not be racist at all but when you are white serving blacks you have to be pleasant looking

Can't believe they are not telling her stupid ass that
If you are white, and serving blacks...
It's time to consider other options. Like a career change, or suicide, or somethin'...

I wouldnt say most. However, you are probably white. Turn Black and come back after a year of dining out and give me your revised statement.
Won't take a year. My wife was in the restaurant business for forty years and I helped a lot so I've seen it all. We never had any problems except for people trying to steal candle holders. But we stopped them with a big grin.

Won't take a year. My wife was in the restaurant business for forty years and I helped a lot so I've seen it all. We never had any problems except for people trying to steal candle holders. But we stopped them with a big grin.
You do realize that not being the customer and Black pretty much makes your post irrelevant in regards to the point right?

are serving a black table you show ALL YOUR TEETH. Because it can easily be interpreted as racism if you approach a table for the first time and don't have a smile on your face. That;s why I treated this white waitress like shit because first impression of her was "she doesn't like blacks". Now a black person who is waiting tables would have just been seen as RUDE but when you are dealing with different nationalities you can't approach a table with a sh*TTY demeanor because I will come right back at you nasty

Then my mom wanted to take up for the stupid bitch and said she maybe going through something at home. WHO THE FUCK CARES????????? Now she may not be racist at all but when you are white serving blacks you have to be pleasant looking

Can't believe they are not telling her stupid ass that

Say what? Man go fuck yourself. Who the hell do you think you are posting up rules for white people to follow around blacks?
Get the fuck over yourself.

You do realize that not being the customer and Black pretty much makes your post irrelevant in regards to the point right?
To tell you the truth, I've never seen happen what the OP claims.

Then you're employing a fallacy, because you don't have a basis for that conclusion. They could be tired, bored, having a shitty day, or just not a smiley type. Some of that might be unfriendliness too, but their white customers are gonna get the same thing, so there goes that theory.

But "show ALL your teeth", SMFH. I've sat down to a lot of meals in a lot of restaurants in almost all 57 states, and it's never once occurred to me to count somebody's teeth. Ever.
I see being a waiter or waitress as a profession. You put your personal issues to the side and put on your best face. Everyone knows a genuine smile helps form a bond with another person. If you dont want to smile then you shouldn't expect a tip. If you want to look bothered then you should expect people to assume whatever about you.

Again, in all those waitpersons in all those restaurants, I've never left a bigger or smaller tip based on their smile. I'm not there for a smile; it's a restaurant. I'm there for a meal.

I did stiff a waitress who rolled her eyes when my GF asked for a lime, so it does work the opposite way. But I'm not going to assume all kinds of ulterior motives to the absence of extra bubbly. Actually I don't care for bubbly; I respect real.

Let's face it, the OP is a fucking whiner. He can't eat if they don't have English muffins, if he can't count all the waitress' teeth, and the menu has to be in 15-point Helvetica font in purple-orange, plus she has to have an Indiana accent and be a lefthanded Sagittarian, or else he's going to run to this board to whine about it. Whiners gonna whine.
If you truly see no difference in a waiter/waitress smiling and therefore forming a bond instead of sternly serving you your food then you are a very small subset of diners or humans for that matter. You may not consciously tip on smiles but I would wager you do tip unconsciously according to smile. The facts are that body language you receive from someone influences your perception of them. This can range from micro expressions all the way up to full fledged and extended smiles/frowns etc. I doubt you are claiming that you would tip an asshole the same amount that you would tip a smiling helpful person?
If someone is truly being an asshole, then no, they're not going to get a good tip. Although, if it's a place I patronize often, I wouldn't be too cheap either: I'd like to be able to come back and not worry about what's been done to my food.
But, it's pretty rare for me to encounter someone truly awful. I tip well, and the places I get food from know this. So I don't get shit heels delivering my food. Be genuinely nice and it'll show and we'll both know it. :thup:

I've never seen you witness what the OP claims. Does that mean it didnt happen?

Sure it could happen. What's the odds? As I said, if it did happen, chances are it was the doings of the OP.

Then you're employing a fallacy, because you don't have a basis for that conclusion. They could be tired, bored, having a shitty day, or just not a smiley type. Some of that might be unfriendliness too, but their white customers are gonna get the same thing, so there goes that theory.

But "show ALL your teeth", SMFH. I've sat down to a lot of meals in a lot of restaurants in almost all 57 states, and it's never once occurred to me to count somebody's teeth. Ever.
I see being a waiter or waitress as a profession. You put your personal issues to the side and put on your best face. Everyone knows a genuine smile helps form a bond with another person. If you dont want to smile then you shouldn't expect a tip. If you want to look bothered then you should expect people to assume whatever about you.

Again, in all those waitpersons in all those restaurants, I've never left a bigger or smaller tip based on their smile. I'm not there for a smile; it's a restaurant. I'm there for a meal.

I did stiff a waitress who rolled her eyes when my GF asked for a lime, so it does work the opposite way. But I'm not going to assume all kinds of ulterior motives to the absence of extra bubbly. Actually I don't care for bubbly; I respect real.

Let's face it, the OP is a fucking whiner. He can't eat if they don't have English muffins, if he can't count all the waitress' teeth, and the menu has to be in 15-point Helvetica font in purple-orange, plus she has to have an Indiana accent and be a lefthanded Sagittarian, or else he's going to run to this board to whine about it. Whiners gonna whine.
If you truly see no difference in a waiter/waitress smiling and therefore forming a bond instead of sternly serving you your food then you are a very small subset of diners or humans for that matter. You may not consciously tip on smiles but I would wager you do tip unconsciously according to smile. The facts are that body language you receive from someone influences your perception of them. This can range from micro expressions all the way up to full fledged and extended smiles/frowns etc. I doubt you are claiming that you would tip an asshole the same amount that you would tip a smiling helpful person?
If someone is truly being an asshole, then no, they're not going to get a good tip. Although, if it's a place I patronize often, I wouldn't be too cheap either: I'd like to be able to come back and not worry about what's been done to my food.
But, it's pretty rare for me to encounter someone truly awful. I tip well, and the places I get food from know this. So I don't get shit heels delivering my food. Be genuinely nice and it'll show and we'll both know it. :thup:
I used "asshole" to construct a comparison of extremes. How about someone that just never smiled and gave you adequate service vs someone that smiled and gave you the same service? How would you feel about the person that never smiled? Would it affect your tip amount?

Sure it could happen. What's the odds? As I said, if it did happen, chances are it was the doings of the OP.
The odds are pretty even if you are Black. I cant figure out why you think its the same as being a white customer.

Forum List

Back